Help, AC is out and we are driving 28 hrs

manning said:
I'm driving around in a '93 town car with 157,000 plus miles on it. It got rear ended end of May. Had it fixed and the A/C control unit just broke.

It drives great. Only thing it does is blow a little smoke due to valve stem seals. Because it is over ten years old it is harder to find parts.

I'm going for over 200,000 miles. Also know a limo driver who sold his with over 300,000 miles.

They build them better today and the lubrication is better.

Don't worry, be happy, as the song says.

I've got a '96 Buick Roadmaster thats got 190,000 miles on it.... Every year i have to put new fluid in the ac because it leaks (slowly but surly!). I know many people that have driven the wheels off of Towncars and Roadmasters, so im hoping for 250,000 miles :earseek:

AC goes out and choose not to fix it for whatever reasons

Like you, MY reason is the $1000 replacement cost. We've done this summer with the van, no AC. Kids hate that I drive my car, leaving them with the van. :rotfl: If I can save the money, we'll get it fixed next year, if I can't (3 in post-secondary, the 2 at home in music-$$$), we won't!

Have a great trip! The memories that you make with your kiddos are priceless. . . and I bet they won't even REMEMBER that you didn't have A/C!

We arrive on August 18, I'll be the one with a big smile because we actually survived the meltdown in the van! We'll be so glad to be walking around in those parks!

:rotfl2:

I'll second the notion that a bad A/C compressor has little to do with other items in a car breaking down. My compressor is going out, but my Maxima with its 130k miles on it still hums along the road just fine.

I may be in the minority, but I REALLY don't think it'll be that bad for you. Just roll windows down all the way when you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and partially down in faster traffic. If you have a sunroof, this can help release the super-hot air out the roof.

I also strongly second the idea of bringing a big cooler and stuffing it with ice. I wouldn't use dry ice. I'd use the plain old bagged ice from grocery stores, and maybe some ice packs to go along with it. You can put the ice packs on your neck or forehead for a few seconds and cool yourself right off.

As the ice melts into extremely cold water, use that water to fill up misty fans. Now THAT will refresh you.

I'd look at it as an "adventure" that you'll remember. But I really don't think you'll be that bad off. And you can always crow about saving a little gas on the trip.

Mississippian said:
I don't understand why a car rental would be so expensive for you.

I just checked expedia and found eight-day rentals from Burlington, VT for $357 for a full-size, and this was just a first search. I'm sure you could get the car for much less than this. How long are you staying?

I don't know the exact route of your trip, and just used Burlington because it seemed like it might be close.

I would think you would also save a lot of money on gas.

Just my thoughts....

..but then they have to pay the CDN/USD exchange, so the $350USD becomes $500+CDN...and I don't think they can rent with unlimited mileage:)

Burlington, VT is an 8 hour drive or so:)

So if you've got 8 hours in, I say, GO FOR the 30 HOURS!!;)

Holy Hot, Batman!!...and you'll have an adventure of a lifetime:teeth:
(And we can't wait to hear all about it...all the while, thinking, Oh thank Goodness we're not driving!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes but hey, at least you'll have your luggage!!:rotfl::rotfl: )

:sunny:

In all honesty, if I had no A/C, I would cancel the trip, and try again next year.

I'm curious did people take summer driving trips before cars had a/c?

OK, we own a garage where we fix air conditioning and I might be able to help you out. I would suggest taking it to another repair facility for an estimate, someone that specializes in A/C work. Find out if the whole compressor has chunked or if there is maybe a bad seal that needs replaced, or if the clutch just needs replaced. A lot of times a tech who doesn't know a lot about compressors will tell you the whole unit needs replaced, because they don't know better, but there may be a less expensive alternative. Another possibility, sometimes, is getting a used compressor from a junk yard as opposed to getting a new one, which is often significantly less money. Good luck :goodvibes

Blicker said:
I'm curious did people take summer driving trips before cars had a/c?

Believe me, we used to. My dad would drive us down to Florida in a mid-70's Buick Electra 225, dark blue with blue seats. Oh, and NO a/c in our cars then. We were too cheap to get it. Throw in the fact that I-75 was not a complete ribbon of highway from where I live in Kentucky then all the way to Florida, and you have the makings of a real doozy of a trip. I-75 still had gaps in it then in Georgia and Tennessee, I think. We took US Hwy. 27 down, and went through the main drag of every town between us and Orlando. It was the "scenic" route. :sad2: I was the youngest child, so I got the "hump seat" in the middle, where my knees were in my chest. Dad smoked cigars and Mom smoked cigarettes. Wow. I believe these were the only times in my life I ever got car sick. I apologize if I sound like Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man skits.

I really don't think the lack of working a/c will be that bad of a thing. It could be far, far worse.

How about attaching a window unit airconditioner to the back window. I have seen this done and its tempting after repalcing the compresser twice. (We do our own labor so the cost was $200 compared to $800 to $1000).

If you try this make sure it is very secure. I would hate to see one fall off on the highway.

Hopefully your back windows open so the air goes threw.

I would wake up real early and drive until it just gets to hot. This is assuming you are making at least one stop at night. The kids would likely love having a pool during this stop and if its in the middle of the afternoon, all the better. Sleep some and leave as early as possible the next day. Tough it out you will almost be there or repeat the stop and swim/sleep.

Have Fun

Tigger1 said:
How about attaching a window unit airconditioner to the back window. I have seen this done and its tempting after repalcing the compresser twice. (We do our own labor so the cost was $200 compared to $800 to $1000).

If you try this make sure it is very secure. I would hate to see one fall off on the highway.

You've seen this done????

And just how is it powered? I've never seen one run on batteries.

I personally can't see a vehicle making it all the way from Canada to Florida without either (a) it falling out or (b) being pulled over by Highway Patrol for driving an unsafe vehicle...having something like that hanging out a window is dangerous.

Tigger1 said:
How about attaching a window unit airconditioner to the back window. I have seen this done ...

The Griswalds ride again! I hope Wally World treats them better on this trip!

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :blush:

We were going to drive one day, one night (DH works night shifts) and then another day--we scrapped that plan!
Next plan, 3 full days with 2 overnight stays, my problem with this is driving through the big cities and trying to avoid the traffic and rush hrs ....
We are now 11 days away and we are totally redoing it but have no idea where we are going to stop!
DH wants to try to get to Boston area and stay then drive the next day to North Carolina??? then another day to WDW

You have all been so helpful with my stupid AC problem, any hints on where to stop?

grimley1968 said:
The Griswalds ride again! I hope Wally World treats them better on this trip!

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :blush:

They could attach a chair to the top of the van and take turns catching a breeze. :earboy2:

How about stopping in Virginia Beach for the night and then heading south for Jacksonville Fl (where my DH worked a few yrs ago so he's familiar with the city) then head out to WDW with a pit stop in Daytona for lunch.

What do you think?

You're going to be putting more than 3500 miles on your car. You're going to be staying 4 night in a hotel in route, 2 down and 2 up. Gas has to be costing you more than $600. Between hotel, gas, tolls and other driving expenses you're going to be spending well over $1000.

Recent fare sales from the NE have been $120-$170 R/R. Are there any discounted airlines from Canada that you could use?

Taxes add way too much onto the flights from Canada, and there are not the discounted fares one sees in the US on SW, etc.

I would drive down to MA and park the car, fly from Boston on Song.....

Best of luck!

BOS-MCO $253 CAD on US Airways. I would definitely go that route - consider the cost of hotels and gas, and you are still ahead. Use Disney ME once you get there.....

Factor in the less stress with avoiding I-95 and all that driving, and you will come out ahead... :goodvibes

bavaria said:
BOS-MCO $253 CAD on US Airways. I would definitely go that route - consider the cost of hotels and gas, and you are still ahead. Use Disney ME once you get there.....

Factor in the less stress with avoiding I-95 and all that driving, and you will come out ahead... :goodvibes

The OP has mentioned at least once earlier that there is a significant drive, like 8 hours or more, just to cross the border into the States from where they live. They'd have to have a flight from there to Boston or wherever they decide to go to. It's not like they can just cross the border a few minutes from their house. And the OP seemed to indicate a high expense for flights from Canada into the US.

If the cost was not too much to get into an American airport, I'd probably choose that route, but let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they've investigated this option.

bavaria--OP is staying in DTD (Doubletree) and can't use Magical Express. They're a family of 5 so they can't stay in a value resort without needing 2 rooms. It sounds like they're going to be going down right before the free dining promotion. Trying to squeeze all 5 in a moderate, if the booked in time for free dining, would have been a good deal.

I'm not sure of the exact dates but right now I found $115.40 R/T from Manchester on SW. Still looks like a long drive for the OP but it might not cost any (or much) more than the expense of driving the entire distance.

Lewisc said:
bavaria--OP is staying in DTD (Doubletree) and can't use Magical Express. They're a family of 5 so they can't stay in a value resort without needing 2 rooms. It sounds like they're going to be going down right before the free dining promotion. Trying to squeeze all 5 in a moderate, if the booked in time for free dining, would have been a good deal.

I'm not sure of the exact dates but right now I found $115.40 R/T from Manchester on SW. Still looks like a long drive for the OP but it might not cost any (or much) more than the expense of driving the entire distance.

Thanks for the details, Lewisc - I didn't read all of the fine print, it seems! I know exactly where they live (I've been there a few times), and while it's still a distance to drive over the border, the payoff may be worth it. Having said that, we all have different priorities, and what seems 'worth it' to you or I may not be to someone else. I personally would avoid the drive, but others may enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter