Help a newbie book a DL trip in February!

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
Ok, when we lived in BC we had thrown around the idea of going to DL, but that was put on hold this summer when DH got transferred back to Ontario. We know we're going to have a hard time getting through the cold Ottawa winter, so I started hinting around about going to California part way through the winter. I found that we could get a direct flight from Montreal to LAX and put a "fare watch" on. Today the fare went way down, and DH agreed we should go! :tigger:

So now what? Our kids are 11 and 12. We've done WDW/Universal quite a few times and 5 Disney Cruises. We've never done California though, so I'm at a loss. (Well, DH has been to Santa Clara for work but that's it). Our dates are Feb. 10 to 20.

We'll need a hotel (can we stay in one place, rent a car and drive around?). We want to do DL (just redeemed AM for 3 days), Universal (AM again, 1 day). Maybe Legoland (what's the difference on the AM site between Resort and Hopper?). DH wants to go to Joshua Tree National Park.

So much to figure out, any tips appreciated!

We went two years ago, at March Break. Joshua tree National park is great, but not a day trip from Anaheim. We drove out, stopped in Palm Springs and stayed over two nights so we could hike in the desert. It was a great experience.
We stayed near Disneyland for three nights, at the Howard Johnson with one full day at each park. It wasn't quite enough time, I think three days will be perfect. Have a look at their open hours, crowd levels and schedules. There are a large number of LA residents that go for the day on weekends, so it is really busy on weekends, and less so during the week. We had to decide between later opening hours and attractions running (eg. Fantasmic) and lower crowds. We skipped Fantasmic and went with the lower crowds.
We didn't do Legoland or Universal, I'm not sure about those. We also went to LA for 4 days afterwards saw Hollywood Blvd, Rodeo drive etc. I believe Universal is very close to downtown LA?
Be aware, when they talk about how bad LA traffic is on the freeways, they mean it. Picture the 401 through Toronto during rush hour, and then double it!

DL is awesome, the Indiana Jones ride, the Matterhorn, Pirates is longer, Haunted Mansion is different, IASM has its own feel with the loading and unloading outside, the Nemo sub ride is great for kids that age, and that doesnt even include all of Cali Adventure Park. There is so much that makes it worth the trip. I would head over to the DL boards for info, there is a ton there http://www.disboards.com/forums/disneyland-california.26/

Also, there are lots of hotels within walking distance to the parks and DTD, even some new ones. We really like a California/West coast chain called Ayres. They are kind of a boutique-y type hotel but includes breakfast and parking. However, next time we go I do want to try the new Hyatt Place as I have heard really good thing about it in Anaheim https://anaheimresort.place.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

We did California in 2013 with our son, and in '98 for our honeymoon. I love Cali! We've always gone in the summer, and the weather is perfect. Last trip, we bought the SoCal City Pass from Costco. Back then it included 3 day hoppers at DL/DCA, 1 day at Seaworld, 1 day at Universal. It was perfect. They have since replaced Universal with Legoland. I'm not sure if that makes it as great a deal or not. They're $399.99 per adult, and $374.99 per child, plus tax. Those are Canadian dollars. We upgraded our 3 day hoppers to 4 days. Hoppers are a must - you can literally walk across a courtyard from one park to the other. It would be like Magic Kingdom, with a second park where the lake is out front.

Staying onsite is crazy expensive in California. We stayed at the Ayres Hotel Anaheim. It was lovely! The rooms were super clean and huge. We had a kitchenette. Breakfast (including Mickey pancakes) was included. You won't love the pools at most California hotels. Space is a premium, so they tend to scrimp on the pools. We were close enough to DL to watch the fireworks, close to the freeway, and close to McDonald's for breakfast as well.

Universal is great - especially the backlot tour (because it's an actual backlot used for filming). I will warn you, however, that it is a total PITA to drive to. If you're staying in Anaheim, you have to drive the main freeway through LA to get there and traffic is a nightmare - even on the weekends!

I wouldn't skip Seaworld. It's so nice, and the drive to San Diego is beautiful.

Definitely rent a car. Something to note, none of the rental places have cars on site at LAX. You will have to shuttle to your car and back, no matter who you rent with.

You won't love the pools at most California hotels. Space is a premium, so they tend to scrimp on the pools.

I wouldnt base your hotel choice on the pool as the weather in Feb is usually a little too chilly to swim. We went once in mid-march and it was springy with nice sunshine but just a bit too cold to swim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter