Help a first timer choose please :)

We have the dining package. Does it matter for that if we do lunch or dinner? Or price consideration becomes a wash on the plan?

Sorry, didn't see that. Have a great DINNER! I really do love the place. My daughter and I enjoy going there as much as anything.

Also, I went to the country of morocco last year, and I was impressed at how similar Restaurant Marrakesh was to authentic Moroccan restaurants.

Sorry, didn't see that. Have a great DINNER! I really do love the place. My daughter and enjoy going there as much as anything.

Also, I went to the country of morocco last year, and I was impressed at how similar Restaurant Marrakesh was to authentic Moroccan restaurants.

Wonderful! Thank you!!!! :)

Royal table is a good choice as well as Tusker house two of my favorite breakfasts. Boma and Ohana are also two excellent choices. If you were to add something you could look for something in DHS like sci-fi or the brown derby or DTD before it changes planet Hollywood, T-Rex, rainforest cafe, etc. those would be my choices but the main thing is have fun.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'll check into those at Hollywood studios! :)
We are so excited we can't stand it hahahaha

Thank you so much!!! Really great advice!! Buffets do kind if scare me, I'll admit. And I've been told the food in general may disappoint us so I'm a little worried. We live right outside NYC so are used to eating pretty good quality restaurant foods. Does this factor in where we should eat? I'm not starting to assume Marakkesh may not be great compared to the Moroccan meals we are used to. I don't mean to sound snobbish at all. I really hope I don't come across that way. I just am curious on what to expect.
And is Teppan Edo like a regular hibachi? We do hibachi often with the kids

Coming from a fellow food snob, I would stay away from the Rainforest Cafe/Planet Hollywood/T-Rex type places...they are all pretty mediocre at best, IMO. It sounds like your kids are used to eating pretty good food? I know when I was your kids' ages, I would get offended when waiters tried giving me the kids menus LOL! I always ate the "grown-up food" because that's what I liked.

I don't think you need to "bland-down" any of your choices, although I can't speak to all of their quality. Boma is fantastic, and I usually hate buffets. Have never eaten at Big River Grille, but I agree with a PP who said to change that to Yachtsman Steakhouse. We like Bongos, the Ropa Vieja is my personal fav! And you can't go wrong with Wolfgang Puck :thumbsup2

I'd recommend going through all of the menus with your kids to make sure they can find something they'd like, but I don't think you'll have a problem!

Coming from a fellow food snob, I would stay away from the Rainforest Cafe/Planet Hollywood/T-Rex type places...they are all pretty mediocre at best, IMO. It sounds like your kids are used to eating pretty good food? I know when I was your kids' ages, I would get offended when waiters tried giving me the kids menus LOL! I always ate the "grown-up food" because that's what I liked.

I don't think you need to "bland-down" any of your choices, although I can't speak to all of their quality. Boma is fantastic, and I usually hate buffets. Have never eaten at Big River Grille, but I agree with a PP who said to change that to Yachtsman Steakhouse. We like Bongos, the Ropa Vieja is my personal fav! And you can't go wrong with Wolfgang Puck :thumbsup2

I'd recommend going through all of the menus with your kids to make sure they can find something they'd like, but I don't think you'll have a problem!

Thank you!!! Yes, I'd like to avoid chains if possible. While my kids are little boys and enjoy the norm "kid foods", they are used to eating ethnic foods, and good adult style meals, spices, sushi, etc. I have been a little worried looking at some of the children's menus. But I'm sure we will be ok :) we will make it work

Briar - have you looked at menus and reviews on allears? That may help.

I think so hahaha I've googled so many websites and it got really confusing. All the menus were different on each website and reviews so mixed. So I figured you all seem so knowledgable I should ask here :)

From your list, ohana breakfast is great :) and you see Mickey and his friends as well as Lilo and stitch :)

Oh wow thank you!! Can you tell me why these were so bad? Food quality? Not you particular taste etc.

Marrakesh was very dry and bland food. We could not see the belly dancers from where we were seated. We left hungry. The CS place, called Tangierine Cafe, is one of our very fave CS places...very yummy Mediterranean food and you get a lot of it.

Bogos was similar....very dry and bland food. And I agree with another poster...it was very loud and bright in there. I couldn't wait to get out of there. We went with all my inlaws...15 of us and I think only 3 or 4 liked the place. The bar drinks were very good though.

Thank you!!! Yes, I'd like to avoid chains if possible. While my kids are little boys and enjoy the norm "kid foods", they are used to eating ethnic foods, and good adult style meals, spices, sushi, etc. I have been a little worried looking at some of the children's menus. But I'm sure we will be ok :) we will make it work

Boatwright's is a hidden gem...IMO. It's at Port Orleans Riverside and is a bit Cajun. We thought it was very good, but it was 2004 when we went (our very 1st Disney Dining experience). I got the Jambalaya...mmmmm. Thought the kid meals there are the basics and on the boring side.

Marrakesh was very dry and bland food. We could not see the belly dancers from where we were seated. We left hungry. The CS place, called Tangierine Cafe, is one of our very fave CS places...very yummy Mediterranean food and you get a lot of it.

Bogos was similar....very dry and bland food. And I agree with another poster...it was very loud and bright in there. I couldn't wait to get out of there. We went with all my inlaws...15 of us and I think only 3 or 4 liked the place. The bar drinks were very good though.

Yikes!!! Ok thanks!! Skipping bongos. Might be fun with friends for drinks but not with the kids for dinner. And maybe we will do the counter meal place in morocco instead. Hmmm this gave me something to think about.

Boatwright's is a hidden gem...IMO. It's at Port Orleans Riverside and is a bit Cajun. We thought it was very good, but it was 2004 when we went (our very 1st Disney Dining experience). I got the Jambalaya...mmmmm. Thought the kid meals there are the basics and on the boring side.

I will check this out. Thank you

brertoad said:
I'd dump the Big river Grill.
Also, unless you really love Cuban food and loud music, dump Bongos.
I'd give Marakkesh a miss, unless you are really really looking forward to it, then go for it.

Possible Adds: Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Biergarten, maybe Akershus if you are okay with princesses.

You get more bang for your buck on the dinner buffets with the dining plan, not sure if that matters to you, I noticed you have Tusker house Breakfast and Ohana Breakfast. And if you are paying 2 credits for Cinderella's - do dinner instead, it will be more cost effective.

Overall, I'd just redo Bongos and Big River. Big River was a HUGE disappointment to us, we've been there twice - years apart, gave it another chance last year, it was still awful.

Agree. Big River is a really mediocre chain restaurant:/

Agree. Big River is a really mediocre chain restaurant:/

Big River needs some help bad, and some TLC, that place needs a whole reno. Or take it out and put something better in. The BJ's brew pub chain would be a big improvement.

It's odd because we ate at the Big River Grille in Nashville, TN years and years ago and it was good, so we expected the same from the Disney Boardwalk location, but my meal was horrible, I traded with DH. I really felt ripped off on the meal it was that bad.

Big River needs some help bad, and some TLC, that place needs a whole reno. Or take it out and put something better in. The BJ's brew pub chain would be a big improvement.

It's odd because we ate at the Big River Grille in Nashville, TN years and years ago and it was good, so we expected the same from the Disney Boardwalk location, but my meal was horrible, I traded with DH. I really felt ripped off on the meal it was that bad.

Oh wow that's bad!!! I didn't realize it was a chain hahaha

We loved Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom last time we were there. Also the Garden Grill at Epcot is fun, it is a revolving resturant with Mickey and friends and the food was great. Also I think The Liberty Tree Tavern in MK is good for lunch or dinner. Oh and Chef Mickey's at the Contempory is always fun. Hope you have a great time. I think we will be there the first week of December, can't wait.

brertoad said:

I used to live in Nashville, and have eaten at that location as well. It was awful. Think you got lucky;)

I used to live in Nashville, and have eaten at that location as well. It was awful. Think you got lucky;)

This was back in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember. Lol. If we are ever in Nashville again, I'll be sure to skip it. :crazy2:

We loved Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom last time we were there. Also the Garden Grill at Epcot is fun, it is a revolving resturant with Mickey and friends and the food was great. Also I think The Liberty Tree Tavern in MK is good for lunch or dinner. Oh and Chef Mickey's at the Contempory is always fun. Hope you have a great time. I think we will be there the first week of December, can't wait.

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter