HELP! 1st timer planning mid april w 4yrold

UsNew2Disney2008

DIS Veteran - who'd rather be at WDW right now!
Question...

I've seen such conflicting things (ie -UG says to go to MK on Saturday, others say it is a mob scene). What I need help with is getting my head around what to do when.

We arrive at MCO 11am on Sat for 3 nights. DS will be up since 4 am, so I'm hoping to get a nap in and then head to a park. Since he normally doesn't nap, I'm worried and considering a planB of AK since it closes at 5. Plan A would be to go to MK Sat? Some say it is the thing to do, and others say it isn't the best plan if you have never been (something about letdown at the other parks - which I really don't think will happen)

Is this a good idea to go to MK first on a Sat night?

Would going to MK be better our first full day - given MK has EMH that night or would Monday be better?

As for am entry - better to be at the opening of DHS or AK? DHS - his big thing would be playhouse disney, the breakfast @ Hollywood & Vine. At AK - the safari & Nemo and just touring.

And finally - is it better to go on a busy day, or a lesser busy day that has EMH (which I think would make it more busy)

Anything else that I'm missing, please feel free to suggest. I want this time to be very special and built all around the 4 yr old (birthday). Not concerned at all with the Adult must do things.

Congrats on getting to take your first trip! I would say that Extra Magic Hour mornings are the time to go, especially if the little one is a morning person, as it is the least crowded, and EMH at night can get a little tiring on the young ones. If you're going to the Hollywood and Vine breakfast with the Playhouse Disney characters, it would seem that DHS would be your early park for that day, followed by AK, if those are your two parks in one day. Nemo does not give Fastpasses, and I would be sure to be in like 40 minutes early (very very popular show, for good reason). The safari does offer Fastpass though, so you could go to AK after lunch, get a Fastpass for Safaris, see Nemo, then go use your Fastpass! There is honestly very little difference in day of the week at Magic Kingdom. Time of day is a different story. It is much more crowded from 11am-7pm than it is early morning or later on. That said, if seeing the Castle on your first day is a priority, then go for it! It will be crowded, but that will be no different than the next day at the same time. Hope this helps a little.

Oh, thank you so much for your help!:flower3: I guess I hadn't took time to step back and realize that would be the case. You are right, if we did AK first, then I'd have to scrap the Hollywood & Vine (I'm actually on the fence about if it is worth it). The first night I have Crystal Palace scheduled at MK. We end the trip with Chef Mickey's and honestly that is the only one I KNOW he will enjoy, the others I'm on the fence about so if I needed to change them to something else it wouldn't be such an issue (he knows Pooh, but not so sure that would be a big deal).

All that removed, if you had two early morning entries - would you do MK & what park? Also, the EMH for MK is at night :headache: so not so practical for us. The only one with morning EMH is AK two days after we arrive.

Nothing like planning your first trip to make you feel like a total idiot! :sad2:

We just got back from our first trip to Disney World with our kids, ages 6, 5 and almost 2. Our absolute BEST time was the 2 mornings we spent at MK. We got there right at opening, and we had no waits whatsoever. As the morning wore on, the lines got very long. We had an excellent time at Animal Kingdom, and wish we had spent more time there. We were not crazy about DHS. It seemed to be for bigger kids. I guess the best advice I can give is to get to the parks right at (or before) opening. That worked out great for us. Also, we kept reminding ourselves to relax and enjoy, not to get too caught up in "trying to do everything." We spent afternoons at our hotel pool, and the kids loved it.

Have a blast!

I normally try to avoid MK on Saturday during the day.....it is always so crowded.....but after the first "light parade" the crowds tend to thin out. Sunday mornings especially are wonderful in the MK usually a really peaceful and not too crowded time.

Hummm....

So since it is Saturday, would you think do AK that evening and then go to MK the next morning? If you get to AK around 2, do you still have time to get things done or not? The tops on our list would definately be the safari, nemo, and some of the animal talks/exibits. I doubt that the rides would be that big of a deal.

Also, for those of you who had been - if your little one loved animals, would you just go AK on an opening day and save DHS for an afternoon? This means we would have to give up character dining at Hollywood & Vine. And while I am on the subject - how much Character dining is good? We get 3 table service meals. If I change to AK our first day, that would mean dropping Crystal Palace. If I switch to AK morning instead of DHS, we drop Hollywood & Vine (is this a MUST see, or not?).

Thanks everyone!

Hummm....

This means we would have to give up character dining at Hollywood & Vine.
...If I switch to AK morning instead of DHS, we drop Hollywood & Vine (is this a MUST see, or not?).

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to jump in here and say this. We took my 4yo for her 4th birthday last June. Along with my 18mo old niece. We had dinner at CRT for dd birthday. We did Hollywood and Vine one day for lunch. We did 1900 Park Fare for breakfast a different day.

Of the three, the one the girls LOVED the most was H & V. The kids got way more character interaction. They got to get up and dance with the characters. They were also both very into JoJo's circus and Little Einsteins. I thought it was worth every penny we paid for it! If your child likes those shows, they will love that experience.

Sounds like H&V is so fun. I guess I could go to AK on EMH - morning and make it to DHS for lunch at H&V. Maybe that would be the best of both worlds! Thanks for the tips about H&V. I was a few minutes from dropping that APS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter