HELP!! 11 days till Disney and DD broke her arm :(

My DH broke his leg a couple of years ago and was not supposed to shower at all... for like a month? Yeah, right. So gross. No way.

So we went to the drug store and found a water-proof bandage tape. It's skin colored and made from latex (just a warning in case of latex allergies). It's very flexible.

He doubled two plastic trash can bags. Then he taped them at the top to his thigh with a few layers of tape. The tape was not around the bag like a cuff, but on his skin, then down around over the edges of the bag.

The leg was pretty much sealed inside, did not get wet at all, not one shower. It wasn't too uncomfortable either because the tape is so elastic it moves with you. Just dry it off before you untape it.

Might want to change it a few times a day if you're in a water park, let the arm air out so it doesn't sweat too much in the plastic.

Hope your DD feels better and hope you find a way to make it work.

My son had a buckle fraction a couple of years ago and we requested a waterproof cast because we had a weekend planned at a large water park here in Texas. It worked great.

My DD (9) broke her arm yesterday. Buckle Fx of ulna/radius bones. Has anyone gone on vac. with a cast?? Any advice on how to make her comfortable would help greatly. Will she still be able to ride rides? She's so sad the one place/thing she wanted to do was the water park.:sad1:

Did you have a waterproof cast put on?? My DS broke his thumb in hockey, he went to the ortho every 2 weeks for an xray and a cast change. I paid the extra 10 for the waterproof cast. About 4 weeks in they molded the cast to his hockey stick so he could play again.

I'd call the ortho and ask what the expectations were for the cast, etc.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade, right?

I say go to WDW as planned-do not cancel! Yes, its a small setback but in the end it'll be fine. Make the best of the situation & have fun! There are worse things that can happen (and do happen) that truly prevent people from continuing on with their plans. So go and have a Magical time!!:wizard:

I have seen plenty of people in WDW with casts on their arms! And I love the idea of having the characters sign the cast.

When we went last summer, my sister broke her foot less than a month from our trip. There was no way for us to reschedule, so we decided to get her an ECV and go for it. I know it's upsetting and you think you're not going to have as good of a time as you would if you were injury free, but I promise you'll still have fun. Please don't cancel!

Definitely check out the disABILITIES board. They were SO very helpful to me.

You might want to, as others suggested, go to the disABILITIES Forum.

She will be permitted to ride any attraction unless having the cast will be a danger to either herself or others. The only two attractions I would advise against are Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl, both in AK as in those two you really have to be able to hold on with both hands to avoid being shaken and flailing.

In addition, you might want to talk to the person who will be removing the cast. Have a line drawn on the cast where it will be cut for removal. Then bring along some "Sharpies" and have the characters autograph the cast, asking them to make sure their signature does not directly cross the line.

Once the cast is removed and fully dried out, you will then have a very unusual souvenir of the trip.

I had 2 kids in casts 2 years ago when we went to Holiday World and Splashing Safari. ... My oldest rode the wooden roller coaster at Holiday world with no issues.

If someone can ride Raven or Legend at Holiday World in a cast and have no issues, then the rides will be a breeze at WDW!

Wishing blessings and quick healing on your daughter (and your nerves!!)
:hippie:

Many years ago, my family went to WDW with my brother on crutches (at Christmas, no less!). The only issues he had were with mobility. We had to get him a wheelchair, which he hated, but he just couldn't handle walking that much on crutches. It didn't cause any other issues at all.

It did, however, give the added benefit of giving him extra attention from many of the CMs. Your daughter may find she gets more attention from the characters and other CMs because she has the cast. The Disney magic really shines brightest with those who are less fortunate.

Go and enjoy! She should be able to do just about everything she would have done without the cast.

When my son broke his wrist we got him a xero sox and it was a life saver. For swimming in a pool it is the best. Also his pediatric orthopedist told us to dump an ounce of baby oil down the cast once a week to reduce the itching, which it did. His skin was also in a lot better condition when the cast came off. Here is a link for the xero sox http://www.xerosox.com/introduction.html

My son broke his finger last Thanksgiving and was in an arm cast. They didn't even ask about what type of cast we wanted, they automatically put on a waterproof cast. They also said he HAD to soak his arm every day. Made getting baths sooooooooooooo much easier.

Your dd will be fine at the waterpark, just make sure she gets the waterproof cast. If not then take the other poster's advice and get a cover.

Liked the idea of the characters signing the cast, great souvineer.

My older DD had a waterproof cast on her arm for one of our trips when she was 3 years old. She was able to ride everything - even Dinosaur in AK (which she was just tall enough to ride). We still have the cast with all of the autographs - it is a great keepsake! The cast did not have a negative impact on our trip at all. Have a great vacation!

OMG, you sound like I did 2 weeks ago.
My DD broke the ulna and radius by her wrist. My first thought was, "but we leave for Disney in 16 days." (only 2 days till we go now)
The Dr made me so nervous saying that fractures could slip in the first 2 weeks and then would have to be reset with surgery :scared1:and pins. I dont know if I was more worried about surgery or telling the family no Disney!!Well her follow up appt. went well so a few more weeks in the cast and she is back to her "normal" self.

I paid the extra $70 for the waterproof cast. She was in pain the first 2 days and took advil but now she has adjusted to wearing the cast. She has been swimming a few times and I see no problems with us traveling to Disney. We are not planning to go to any waterparks just the regular parks and swimming by the pool.

I hope it all works out for you!!

My 7 yo DD broke her arm (both ulna and radius) 2 weeks before we went to Disney. Actually, we may be the family a previous poster was referring to, becuase we were at Kidani Village playing in the pool and water area. We bought a waterproof cover for her cast, which kind of looked like a hot water bottle and you pumped the air out of it, for swimming. That worked pretty well... But we also had a lightweight cover for her arm (think plastic bag thickness) for all the water rides. And as far as all the other rides, my daughter was able to go on all of them - even did EE twice. Her cast didn't slow her down one bit! We did not do any waterparks. We were only there for a couple days this trip and just hit the parks.

One suggestion, if your child is small enough, you may want to take a stroller. Our DD is petite and we took an umbrella stroller just so she wouldn't get tired lugging her cast all over the place. The cast went above her elbow since she broke both bones in the arm. And taking a Sharpie is a great idea. We got some princesses to sign her arm and even some of the cast members would sign it - at the entry to Epcot one of the CM's wrote Epcot with a mickey head and at ToonTown a CM signed it "ToonTown Rocks". My DD thought that was awesome! I think she talked about that more than the princesses that signed it!

I hope your daughter has a great time!

I can't say it enough, THANK YOU GUY'S/GAL's. Its strange to say but all of your advice/support has really helped to calm my nerves. Planning this trip has been really overwhelming, and you have helped me feel like we'll make it work. So I'm going to say it again. THANK YOU:love:

If you are going to get a new cast put on as them to mark where they will cut it off. That way when the characters sign it they can avoid signing on the line. What a great souvenir from and unfortunate event!

It's good that she will have had time to get used to wearing the cast. By the time you are there it will be a part of her.

You will all have a great time!!

My son's cast comes off on Wed. He did the exact same thing to his wrist...a buckle fracture. It ended summer baseball for him. I know for a fact that our local amusement park will not let you on rides if the cast is above the elbow. His was below. We have been wrapping a towel around the cast and putting on a bag when he takes a bath. We bought something at a pharmacy but any old regular bag would work. It came with a strap to keep it in place and tight at the top.
Sorry to hear she had this happen!

DD cast is water-prof. The doc said she can go in water that is clorine treated. She said no to the pool, or river/lake. She's getting used to it and hasn't complained about itching YET! I work in the medical feild and I dont understand why they said 60-90 days. Buckle Fx shouldnt take that long to heal. Possible 1 bone was buckled and a more sever Fx on the other? I cant wait for the follow-up appt. so I can get some answers I didnt get in the ER. I'm going to ask if they can mark it like suggested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter