Hello Campers ! Need advice pretty please

cinderella73

<font color=magenta>I stand for strollers at wdw a
I just wanted to pop on here and say hello. I stayed in the FWC years ago and have booked a trip there for this coming Sept .

The thing is my family is not to excited about the whole "camping" thing. My teen would much rather have a hotel . My husband says it looks to rustic ( what a wuss , right?) and the boys are pretty laid back as long as they can fish and catch frogs . I am a total girly girly, BUT I do have great memories of my stay in the cabins. Besides its not like the cabins are really like camping .

Am I crazy to think they will change their minds when they get there ? I can see my teen loving the golf cart and my husband loving the fact we can pull right up to get everything inside. Plus we have a service dog and the elevator at the contemporary was a nightmare with him last year.

I had originally booked the Grand Floridian but no one cared for it . No way I am going to spend that money on it if no one likes it . My teenager said she would even prefer a value or a mod over the cabins . While I would save a bit of money, I am just thinking they might really love the whole experience at FW . Anyone have any advice ? I dont mind pushing something new on them, but with so much invested I dont want anyone to be unhappy either.

Oh I do have a concern. Are there a lot of buses on the same roads that you drive the carts on ? That part worries me a bit . Especially if my teen wants to drive and I know she will. After the story about that poor kid last year I do worry about kids and the bus traffic . Thanks ! :goodvibes

Welcome to the camping boards !:goodvibes

Okay, just remember, what I tell ya is simply my opinion.
That being said, No, I don'tthink you are crazy, and yes I do believe they will change their mind about the Fort once they have arrived and get to see all the magic that the Fort has :thumbsup2
I also believe that your service dog (as will you) will hava much easier time at the Fort than stay'n at a resort hotel.
Sept is one of my favorite times to stay at the Fort, and the fishing is generally pretty good then also. You don't need a fishing license/permit to fish on Disney property, no fishing from any of the docks or beach and remember fishing is catch and release only.
Yes, the carts and buses share the road, and caution is your best buddy when driving, but just pay attention and follow the rules , you'll be okay.

Are you aware of all the activities that the Fort has to offer ?
Do ya'll plan on doing much "parks" time ?

I think you and your family and going to really enjoy The Fort. The cabins are not what I would consider really camping, but I have a MH and there are alot of people that don't consider that really camping either. The cabins have all the amenities of home, but with maid service. From my experience when we went to The Fort with our teenagers, they loved it. They made friends and had a great time. There is the pool, movies, fireworks on the beach, etc. When you are done at the parks, coming pack to The Fort is very relaxing. You can sit on the deck and just chill. After that, you can cruise The Fort in your golf cart. Also, it is very pet friendly. If you go on the WDW site, you can pull up pictures of the inside of the cabins, but I'm sure if you ask, someone on the boards has them also. Just relax, your family is going to thank you for taking them to The Fort.

Welcome Cinderella :welcome:

A couple of things.

First, does FWC mean Fort Wilderness Cabins? I'm going to assume it does.

Second, as Born to Fish/Frank said, golf carts do share the road with golf carts. There are age restrictions to driving carts (rules that you will be given at checkin) but busses are infrequent and a cart can always pull over to the side onto the grass to let a bus or vehicle drive by.

Third, sounds like your DH is forming an opinion without any info. As a nearly 50-something guy, I love the cabins, cooking on their charcoal grill outside, and being outdoors (versus a hotel). You have a full kitchen which means you can cook meals to save money (or create favorite breakfasts or dinners) while enjoying Mousekeeping (Housekeeping) who makes beds, washes dishes, provides clean towels, etc. daily.

Here's how I would convert your family.

Rent a golf cart from Kenny (Tee Time Carts) see the various threads on this board. September is a slow time at the Fort so it should go well. Kenny is half the price of Disney's carts.

DH will maybe like grilling at the cabins and driving to the theme parks. He can head down to the Fort Wilderness Marina and rent a pontoon boat to take you guys out on Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon ($45/30 min plus they have a AAA discount).

Let the teenagers rent a canoe/kayak to paddle their way around the Fort ($6/30 min). cheap entertainment. They can paddle in a big circle and start/finish at the Bike Barn.

When you check in they give you a list of daily activities for kids (flag football, crafts, bingo, other cheesy stuff but fun) to keep the kiddos entertained. If you can bring their bikes do so.

The campfire/singalong/movie takes place every night and it's silly fun.

Litch and Frank are right: I think after the Grand Floridian your family will appreciate the Fort more (especially the cabins). Let them discover it for themselves though. Don't let them know what you know. ;)

Bama ED

First of all thanks to everybody. I really appreciate the input. I have been reading over all the posts on this board and feel like I kinda know you all already . :)

Born2Fish- Thanks for easing my mind. Glad to hear you dont need a permit for fishing. I wasn't sure about that. My boys always wanted to fish and they will be so excited. I guess I can just get them a child size fishing pole at the store . I am assuming its not to hard to figure out . Not sure you can catch much on a cane pole . Any good spots that will be easy for the fishing impaired?

I just learned tonight by reading the boards about the activities they host. Not sure what kinds or where I find out about them but I am definately interested. Sounds like fun.

We are normally pretty military in the parks but I think with so many visits behind us I would like to just slow down and enjoy eveything this time. We plan on staying a few weeks so we can relax a bit .

DISNEYLITCH-
Thank you . Hearing all of that makes me feel better. I would rather sit out and make smores than watch tv in a hotel room. Its kind of exciting to be doing something so different. I can just see the kids catching lightening bugs and frogs and staying up and playing cards with the sounds of crickets in the background. Kinda magical and not something you can do everyday.

BAMA ED- I wanted to tell you I just read your trip report and really enjoyed it! I am hoping to also do a live trip report and maybe even get in some live streaming.

Yes I did mean the cabins. It was about 15 or so years ago that I stayed in them . But I still remember how nice was waking up to the fresh morning air and cruising around in a cart. And I am not even a morning person . heh

Glad you mentioned Kenny's carts. I was wondering about that. I read about him here on the boards but I heard there was a issue with a cart delivery being turned away . I did have a cart booked for 2 weeks but if they still allow him to deliver I could save a lot ! Have you rented from him recently? Do the batteries last the day ? I will definately have to check him out . Thanks :)

Renting a canoe sounds like a blast. I hadnt even thought about that. I did see someones list of activities and it showed a scanvenger hunt . That would be something I think everyone would enjoy. Horseback riding is something else I want to look into. Just so much really to do there, especially when compared to the other resorts.

------

Gosh you guys have all made me feel so much better. I guess the next thing is to start a pre-trip report!

Oh quick question! How long does it take on the boat from FWR to MK ? Once the boat arrives that is. I think somone told me I cant just leave my cart at the marina. Will it be ok there all day ?

Thanks everyone !

cinderella73

DH and I looked at the accessable cabin yesterday just to see how well that would have worked for us.They are really nice but I would limit them to 2 or 3 chairs at a time.

Since GF is not your style I would go for cabins at Fort. We are over at AK in 2 villas and love them.

You and family should have a blast at FW. :thumbsup2

If you have never checked out Tree House Villas at SSR, why not take a look during your stay.

Another activity your boys might like is the archery lesson. There is a fee for it but my 19 year old daughter did it last fall and really enjoyed it.

There's also the speed boats on the lake for rent. The launch from the marina to MK is about 15 minutes. There are also boats to WL and the Contemporary. You can bus or drive to the other parks, but we always boat to MK and monorail to EPCOT from there. We also never drive to AK or HS. Let the Disney bus drivers handle the traffic for you. Many say they drive to get there quicker, but we don't rush when we are vacationing.

Follow the rules when carting. Move off the road when safe to do so when faster traffic overtakes you. Don't speed through the loops. Remember others use the loop roads for walking, talking, and relaxing. Batteries will last all day unless you have a malfunction. With on and off use, we often only charge ours overnight every couple of days.

Enjoy.

Oh I do have a concern. Are there a lot of buses on the same roads that you drive the carts on ? That part worries me a bit . Especially if my teen wants to drive and I know she will. After the story about that poor kid last year I do worry about kids and the bus traffic . Thanks ! :goodvibes

I don't know if the rules changed but I thought you had to be 16 and have a valid drivers license to drive the golf cart - don't know the age of your teen?

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I think finally everyone is on board and pretty excited. With all of your advice I was able to find things to tempt everyone with that will make them all happy.

Another activity your boys might like is the archery lesson. There is a fee for it but my 19 year old daughter did it last fall and really enjoyed it.

I told the kids and believe it or not my daughter was the one that was excited about doing this. Thanks for letting me know about it . I will be signing her up. Makes me feel better that she has things she can look foward to even if "camping" is not her " thing" . lol

There's also the speed boats on the lake for rent. The launch from the marina to MK is about 15 minutes. There are also boats to WL and the Contemporary. You can bus or drive to the other parks, but we always boat to MK and monorail to EPCOT from there. We also never drive to AK or HS. Let the Disney bus drivers handle the traffic for you. Many say they drive to get there quicker, but we don't rush when we are vacationing.

Follow the rules when carting. Move off the road when safe to do so when faster traffic overtakes you. Don't speed through the loops. Remember others use the loop roads for walking, talking, and relaxing. Batteries will last all day unless you have a malfunction. With on and off use, we often only charge ours overnight every couple of days.

Enjoy.

We are careful drivers ( maybe to much ) lol . Good to hear about the cart batteries. The Mk boat is faster than I thought. Thank you for all the great info ! :)

Cindarella,

I posted some pix in another thread about activities and prices around the Fort. It might apply to your family since you were asking similar questions so hope it gives you some ideas. Here is the thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2704928

Bama ED

Thank ya ! I printed out the posts on your thread and stuck it in my notebook. ( I one of those obsessive planner/ organizer freaks) . Its was a great help in figuring in costs on any extras. I think we will definitely have to do boats , achery , petting farm , and fishing for sure . Maybe even do the boats more than once. I think this will be the most relaxed trip we ever took to Disney in fact.

I don't know if the rules changed but I thought you had to be 16 and have a valid drivers license to drive the golf cart - don't know the age of your teen?

Yes , I did read that. My DD is old enough , thank goodness. I think this will also be a teenager " OMG , my mom is making me go camping! " soother. I dont know if It will relax me a whole lot if she driving though !

I forgot to add I am thnking of starting a pre-trip report soon. Is anyone interested in live streaming from the fort and parks while I am there ? I usually live stream on ustream but was thinking of incorporating it into the actual trip report this time.

Cinderelly,

Wow it's not often we've had a live stream to view. There have been a few over the years but I could count them on one hand.

Get a site near the main road or with a view of the Meadow TP and i'd watch it. Advertise the streaming in the thread title and people will flock to get a Fort Fix.

Bama ed

I actually was suprised myself when I came across a live stream the other day from the fort. It's what gave me the idea to stream myself . Unfortunately I caught it on its last night. Next time I notice one I will post the link here.

I plan on bringing a small netbook ( with mifi) and a android phone to stream. More than likely I will set up certain times and take it down with me for certain trips for places like the marina , trading post , etc. . I will make sure to post a schedule up in the tr. We will be there over 2 weeks so plenty of time to stream a couple and still just kick back.

If anyone wants to see a (service ) dog ride the POC ( hey that smells like a TR title lol) I will do streaming from the parks at least one of the days for a couple hours , most likely MK . I am going to have to pick up some extra batteries I think !

cinderella73,
I think your family will leave the fort saying this was the best trip ever.

My husband isn't one to camp at all, his ideal of camping is with the air and tv on. Which he can get by staying at the cabins.
I love the cabins, because I can be close to camping without having to deal with my husband having a melt down.

My husband didn't want to stay at the cabins at all, but last year I finally was able to talk him into letting us stay the last part of our trip.
We had 14 days to be at disney and the first part we stayed at Boardwalk Inn.
My husband loved the boardwalk inn, until we stayed at the cabins.
He said it was nice to get away and feel like you were in a home.
He said the cabin was his ideal of camping, he had his air and his tv.

Oh yeah if your husband decides to cook out on the grill I hope he knows how to do it. My husband started the grill at 9 pm and hamburgers and steak weren't done until after 1 am. Thats right 4 hours, I told you he wasnt much at camping.

cinderella73,
I think your family will leave the fort saying this was the best trip ever.

My husband isn't one to camp at all, his ideal of camping is with the air and tv on. Which he can get by staying at the cabins.
I love the cabins, because I can be close to camping without having to deal with my husband having a melt down.

My husband didn't want to stay at the cabins at all, but last year I finally was able to talk him into letting us stay the last part of our trip.
We had 14 days to be at disney and the first part we stayed at Boardwalk Inn.
My husband loved the boardwalk inn, until we stayed at the cabins.
He said it was nice to get away and feel like you were in a home.
He said the cabin was his ideal of camping, he had his air and his tv.

Oh yeah if your husband decides to cook out on the grill I hope he knows how to do it. My husband started the grill at 9 pm and hamburgers and steak weren't done until after 1 am. Thats right 4 hours, I told you he wasnt much at camping.

I am so glad to hear that. I really do think once we get there and get settled in everyone will have a blast. Its nice to hear that it worked out with your family. Gives me hope that mine will follow suit.

Thats so funny about the bbq . :lmao: That is so just us. Reminds me of the year I was just out of the hospital and my husband had to cook the turkey. Halfway through we realized it was still raw. :sick:

I think I will stick to "pre-cooked" foods on the grill to be safe! I just love the smell of the fire going so even if its just smores I will be happy.

The only thing that would make this all perfect was if they had a washer dryer in them like the dvc units. Do you know if there washer dryers near the cabins by any chance ?

May I also suggest you go to this site's home page and find pictures of the cabins. Pull them up and let your family take a peek. This might help all of you decide if the cabins are a good choice.

Several years ago my husband, I, and our youngest daughter went camping at the fort. My two older daughters and one of their husbands joined us and stayed at the cabins, and trust me,my middle daughter is NOT the camping type, and she loved the cabins.

I'm sad to say but no, there are no washer or dryer in the cabins.
I wished they did have them, as it would make it easier for us.
I know your family will enjoy their time at the cabins, as the cabins are really nice.
I love getting up in the morning and sitting outside.

My son who was 28 years old took off every evening driving in the golf cart to go to the beach, he wouldn't come back until really late, sometimes 4 am.
He said he really enjoyed sitting by the beach, and I said just watching god knows what? He said no, that a few times he fell asleep, as it was so peaceful out there. lol crazy kid or should i say crazy young man. lol

He can't wait until this coming Christmas, as we plan to go again and he will fly in to be with us as long as he is still in the states. He is in the Air Force now. We took him last July- Aug for a family trip, before he went to boot-camp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter