Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! June 2014 (Update: Video)

Wow!! What great shots both of you took! I love the 3rd and 4th ones at sunset. The sky is gorgeous! And the Illuminations pictures are awesome! Someone else had mentioned watching from Japan too so I think I'm trying that next trip. :)

Just out of curiousity what kind of camera do you have? I used to be really into photography then put it on the back burner for awhile and lately have been thinking of getting back into it, so I am debating a new camera.

Thanks Kelley.

I have an Olympus E-P3 that's almost 3 years old now. It's part of the Micro 4/3 family, which is an mirrorless interchangeable lens system that finds itself somewhere between a point and shoot and a traditional DSLR. Both in size and quality. Although, the newest Micro 4/3 camera's are rivaling photo quality of DSLR's these days.

The current equivalent to my camera is the Pen E-P5.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen.html?icn=topnav&ici=camerasnav_olympus-pen

Although, they have a nicer line (the OM-D and also a line with with less features such as the E-PM2.) But they all use the same lenses. Also worth noting that Panasonic has a Micro 4/3's line as well. Some people prefer the Olympus cameras and others prefer the Panasonic ones, but most who are into it, have a mix of lenses from both manufactures (as any Micro 4/3 lens is interchangeable on any Micro 4/3 camera.)

Personally, I find the Micro 4/3 format to be perfect for me. I love learning how to use aperture, shutter speed, etc. to take creative shots (although while at Disney I mostly take snap shots without much regard to to creativity since I usually take shots while on the move. I found that my family doesn't tend to wait very long for me when I want to mess with camera settings.) Anyway, it gives you some of the quality and flexibility of a DSLR without having to lug around a bunch of heavy equipment. I have a 20mm f1.7 pancake lens that I keep on the camera most of the time. With that lens, it's still small enough to fit into a coat/jacket pocket, or light enough to just keep in my hand for a while.

Not sure if that's the type of info that you were looking for. If not, feel free to try again :cool1:

wow - great sunset pictures of EPCOT ... and the Illuminations ones aren't half bad either ;)

You guys have been cramming so much good stuff into this trip - can't wait for your next, full day!

Wow, this trip report is amazing Matt & Stephanie. How neat to see what each of you did when you split up on different days. Stephanie, had I known just how cute Pickle would have been as the Beast, I think I would have begged to go in with you all. Matt, the panoramic pictures make me want to go back, right now!! We are going to WDW after our cruise in February and I am trying to decide where to stay. I had no idea the Grand Floridian would be so special. The Illuminations pictures are fantastic. I never would have thought Japan would be such an awesome spot for viewing. I hate to have your trip report ending shortly, it was just a phenomenal trip for me. Hope the rest of you felt the same.
Mimi:lovestruc

Just quick info. on Roscoes chicken and waffles ... They are almost complete with one right near Disneyland on harbor blvd about a 1 mile from Disneyland. They started building it geez 2 years ago at least but something with the city permits ect. ( it was kind of a battle to get it near Disneyland it seems ... But who knows? ) We went to the original location about 3 miles from universal studios. Another note on universal studios in Hollywood is they are building the wizard world of Harry potter there right now. The steel framework is up for all the buildings ect. and since universal can really bang out their attractions it may be done by next summer for your California vacation : )

Thanks for the head's up on Roscoe's. If this one opens before next summer, it would be very convenient. I can't quite imagine chicken and waffles, though I know that lots of people love it together. Also, you got me thinking about Universal. Hmm.... We only have four days in L.A.!!! We have some really tough decisions to make about how we spend our time. Thanks for the info!

Wow, this trip report is amazing Matt & Stephanie. How neat to see what each of you did when you split up on different days. Stephanie, had I known just how cute Pickle would have been as the Beast, I think I would have begged to go in with you all. Matt, the panoramic pictures make me want to go back, right now!! We are going to WDW after our cruise in February and I am trying to decide where to stay. I had no idea the Grand Floridian would be so special. The Illuminations pictures are fantastic. I never would have thought Japan would be such an awesome spot for viewing. I hate to have your trip report ending shortly, it was just a phenomenal trip for me. Hope the rest of you felt the same.

Aw, thanks, Mimi! We had such an amazing time, and had I known how cute Pickle was going to be, I would have made you go in instead of me. There are some levels of preciousness that grandma's get precedence with over moms. :flower3:

It was a great trip, especially spending it with family. It was fun to see Denise & Steve, and Beth and her family, again. It had been too long! Thanks for all your hard work to make it happen, Mimi! You are the best! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

-Stephanie

You are making me think that I may want to add Japan as one of our possible quick services! Looks good. Although I am not a sushi person the rest looks yummy!
I love the Illuminations pictures. Those are amazing!

Aww, Daddy-Daughters date! How cute! And a Mother and Son one too! Nice that you guys are okay with doing that. I'm sure the kids really enjoy getting the one of one time.

Love the twilight photos of Epcot! I think it's the prettist time of day to be there. The lights come on but still bright enough to see everything! :goodvibes

I have not been to eat at the QS in Japan since they changed it! Must put that on my list! It looks really good! I love that area too, although I can't ever remember watching Illuminations from there!

We usually don't stay for it, because it is our least favorite, but I might try and check it out from over there when we are at the Food & Wine Festival. It looks like a great spot to watch from!! I saw that pic of Stephanie in the poncho and was wondering if you guys knew that guy in the background, he seems to be staring at the stroller? Awkward...LOL :scared1:

She is so adorable sleeping like that! I totally wish Jeremy would push me around in a stroller sometimes so I could sleep on the way back to the resort! Ahh to be young again. Sometimes that late at night it seems to take forever to get back when you are tired! At least for me it does :rotfl2:

Loving the TR so far!!

:thumbsup2

Thanks! It's nice to have you reading along :goodvibes

wow - great sunset pictures of EPCOT ... and the Illuminations ones aren't half bad either ;)

You guys have been cramming so much good stuff into this trip - can't wait for your next, full day!

Thanks Phil. It's hard to believe that I'm about to post the start of our last day in the parks. One final attempt at cramming our day full of fun stuff :cool1:

Thanks mom! We did indeed feel the same. It was about as phenomenal of a trip as you can have. Thanks again for helping to make it so awesome. You and dad are so generous, both financially and with all the extra effort you put into planning/making it special!!

You are making me think that I may want to add Japan as one of our possible quick services! Looks good. Although I am not a sushi person the rest looks yummy!
I love the Illuminations pictures. Those are amazing!

Even if you aren't big on Japanese food, I highly recommend that you at least go up to the restaurant just to look around and explore. It's so cool up there on the hill.

Aww, Daddy-Daughters date! How cute! And a Mother and Son one too! Nice that you guys are okay with doing that. I'm sure the kids really enjoy getting the one of one time.

Love the twilight photos of Epcot! I think it's the prettist time of day to be there. The lights come on but still bright enough to see everything! :goodvibes

I hear you. Twilight is pretty awesome in the World Showcase!!!!!

I have not been to eat at the QS in Japan since they changed it! Must put that on my list! It looks really good! I love that area too, although I can't ever remember watching Illuminations from there!

We usually don't stay for it, because it is our least favorite, but I might try and check it out from over there when we are at the Food & Wine Festival. It looks like a great spot to watch from!! I saw that pic of Stephanie in the poncho and was wondering if you guys knew that guy in the background, he seems to be staring at the stroller? Awkward...LOL :scared1:

She is so adorable sleeping like that! I totally wish Jeremy would push me around in a stroller sometimes so I could sleep on the way back to the resort! Ahh to be young again. Sometimes that late at night it seems to take forever to get back when you are tired! At least for me it does :rotfl2:

We usually don't stay for Illuminations either. Once every 5 years or so seems to be enough. :rotfl2: But, I'm glad we saw it from Japan by accident. We were basically just outside the front doors of the department store. No one else was there (most people were up by the fence in front of the water.) The view was awesome! (You couldn't really see the Illuminations globe/floaty thingy, but it's sort of boring after you've seen it a few times in the past anyway.) I'd watch the fireworks from Japan in the future!

Haha! We didn't know the creepy dude staring at the stroller. I didn't pay any attention to him. LOL.

I hear you about those late nights and long walks at EPCOT, especially when there is a mass exodus after Illuminations. To be young and ride in a stroller again... now that would be awesome!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

(I wish they made grown up reclining strollers, and also adult sized Big Wheels.)

Day 11 - Friday the 13th - Part 1 - Last Day Blues

It was time to sing the "last day blues", as Friday was our final day in the parks. Couldn't believe our awesome vacation was coming to an end. Oh well, let's not dwell on it, and let's go have some fun instead!!!

We weren't sure how we wanted to plan the morning part of our last day, but we knew that we wanted to finished the day off with a bang at the Magic Kingdom, so we had previously booked FP+ Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for that evening. (We had wanted to experience 7DMT at night in the dark.)

My parents had planned to visit EPCOT that morning, so we decided to tag along with them in their mini van.

We arrived a couple minute after they opened at 9am, and the lines to get were pretty long. No worries, we've been to EPCOT a couple times already this week. This is just icing on the cake!

Gotta soak it in, this is the last time that we'll be here for probably two years at least (we are doing Disneyland next summer instead of WDW.)

I love this photo of Buddy and Princess.

We didn't have Fast Passes for any rides that morning, and we weren't in a rush to get in a line for Soarin' or Test Track. So we decided to start with some treats from Starbucks and then some shopping in Mouse Gears.

I don't really remember what everyone got, but I had a half iced tea/half lemonade. It was just OK.

And then we headed past the fountain over to Mouse Gears. (We had another one of those 20% off coupons from the back of a QS receipt that we thought we'd put to good use.)

Stephanie wanted to look at the Vera Bradley Disney bags. She thought that she wanted to pick up a backpack, so we looked at them trying to find the best placement of Mickey and Minnie on fabric.

After a few minutes of looking, that bag directly in front of her caught her eye. She wasn't initially interested in another purse (as she already has some Disney bags from other brands.) But... after taking a closer look, she decided that's what she wanted. Cool bag!

After my parents finished looking around, they decided to move on with their plans for the day. (I think they went to meet up with Cassie and her family.)

We spent a little while longer... I ended up getting a t-shirt, and pickle got a couple Frozen action figures. And we got a shirt for my dad as a thank you present.

Time to check out...

Stephanie had agreed to let Pickle play in the fountains in between Future World and the World Showcase for a little while. But first, a photo of our lovely Princess...

Pickle had a blast getting wet!

Our next item on the agenda was to stop over at the old Odyssey building. The World Cup was just starting, and they had converted the building into "World Cup Central". They put national flags on the Windows outside, and then decorated the inside with a World Cup theme. And then they played the soccer games on giant screens inside. This was the first time that they did something like this, and the first time that I had been inside the Odyssey building since the late 80's. We aren't soccer fans, but we wanted to go check it out just for the unique experience.

If you have no idea what the Odyssey building is, it's basically the old/unused building between Test Track and Mexico.

A close up of some the flags.

We heard that they served food inside, and it was about 11:00am, so we thought maybe we'd just eat lunch there.

They were supposed to open at 11am, but they were running late getting everything all set inside. So we waited a few minutes, and then it started raining.

Having a nice comfy place to hang out while the rain passed turned out to be great!

When you first enter, they had a standings board on the wall.

]

And then inside the main area, they had mostly table-based seating, but there were some leather sofas up front.

We were the first ones inside, so we went straight for the sofas! Yahoo!

Dude, this was really nice! It felt a little odd, though. Maybe a little too calm/posh for being inside a theme park... After we grabbed a spot, Stephanie went up to see what food options they had.

It turns out that it was mostly snacks, so she came back with popcorn and a super pretzel (to tide us over until we had a more traditional lunch.)

So we relaxed and watched the action on the big screen for a while. Checking every few minutes to see if the rain let up. But, it never did.

So we donned our rain gear and decided to head over to Mexico for lunch.

We decided to stop at the La Cantina de San Angel for lunch. Everyone but Stephanie and Buddy had already eaten there on this trip, but it was close and required the least amount of walking through the rain, so it was a no brainer.

All of the outside covered seating was full. We wondered where we would sit, until I notice the door just to the right of the service windows that said additional seating inside. It turns out that this was a back entrance to the San Angel Inn Restaurante... and that they use the inside seating as double duty during the day when the main restaurant isn't open.

It wasn't obvious to us that this was available, and it wasn't obvious to others as there weren't too many people inside. I felt bad that there were so many people fighting for seats outside in the wind and rain, when there was ample cozy seating inside... but I wasn't going to waste too much time convincing everyone to come inside.

Check out these cool lights. Such a cozy atmosphere in here. Another hidden gem!!

The kids picked out a nice window seat looking out onto the lake.

And they had fun goofing off while we waiting for Stephanie to come back with the food.

Stephanie and I split the beef tacos.

Very tasty! I think that I enjoyed this a little more than the chicken tacos earlier in the week.

I don't know why, but I didn't get any photos of what the kids ate. If I recall correctly, but Buddy and Pickle had the chicken tenders and Princess had chicken tacos.

All and all, it was a nice lunch. This isn't even close to being one of my favorite QS in restaurants in WDW (to be honest I'd be happier at something like a Chipotle), but wow, did we score on getting a nice place inside and away from the wind and rain!!!

I just realized that I forgot to share the following PhotoPass photos.

We stopped for a group shot just as we entered the park.

And the following photo was after we had just finished shopping at Mouse Gears.

I like the Vera Bradley bag Stephanie selected. Did they honor the 20% off for the Vera Bradleys? If so, that's a great deal.

The old Odyssey building looks pretty nice inside. I'm still bitter about the Wonders of Life Pavillion. There were some really good attractions in there and now it's just sad seeing it being used for festivals.

Smart move getting inside out of the rain. I'm surprised the CMs don't point that out to people, especially when it's raining.

I like the Vera Bradley bag Stephanie selected. Did they honor the 20% off for the Vera Bradleys? If so, that's a great deal.

The old Odyssey building looks pretty nice inside. I'm still bitter about the Wonders of Life Pavillion. There were some really good attractions in there and now it's just sad seeing it being used for festivals.

Smart move getting inside out of the rain. I'm surprised the CMs don't point that out to people, especially when it's raining.

Thanks, annie170! Yes, I was able to use the 20% off the entire purchase at Mousegears, and the Vera was not excluded. I also had a Disney gift card I had been saving from my birthday--so I felt like I was getting the bag for half off. I really didn't need another Disney bag, but I sure do like it. :love:

I enjoyed going into the Odyssey building. Unlike Matt, I had never been inside before. As a kid, my family hadn't been to the restaurant inside. I had always been curious about this building, and I'm so glad we lucked into the chance to go. Was it amazing and a can't miss experience? No. But it still was fun going into a place in Epcot I had never been before. I agree about the Wonders of Life pavilion. My recollections of it from childhood are hazy, but I think, too, that it's a shame it is only open for festivals.

Always great to do a bit of shopping that last day ... Cool bag for Stephanie for sure : ) it's amazing how the World Cup even had a pop up location at Epcot (( poor abandoned buildings at Epcot though )) really cool they had that available for guests. Now of they could have a football pavilion for games : )
Yikes more rain but happy you were all able to duck out for lunch and a great spot too. Fun night ahead at MK : )

Thanks Kelley.

I have an Olympus E-P3 that's almost 3 years old now. It's part of the Micro 4/3 family, which is an mirrorless interchangeable lens system that finds itself somewhere between a point and shoot and a traditional DSLR. Both in size and quality. Although, the newest Micro 4/3 camera's are rivaling photo quality of DSLR's these days.

The current equivalent to my camera is the Pen E-P5.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen.html?icn=topnav&ici=camerasnav_olympus-pen

Although, they have a nicer line (the OM-D and also a line with with less features such as the E-PM2.) But they all use the same lenses. Also worth noting that Panasonic has a Micro 4/3's line as well. Some people prefer the Olympus cameras and others prefer the Panasonic ones, but most who are into it, have a mix of lenses from both manufactures (as any Micro 4/3 lens is interchangeable on any Micro 4/3 camera.)

Personally, I find the Micro 4/3 format to be perfect for me. I love learning how to use aperture, shutter speed, etc. to take creative shots (although while at Disney I mostly take snap shots without much regard to to creativity since I usually take shots while on the move. I found that my family doesn't tend to wait very long for me when I want to mess with camera settings.) Anyway, it gives you some of the quality and flexibility of a DSLR without having to lug around a bunch of heavy equipment. I have a 20mm f1.7 pancake lens that I keep on the camera most of the time. With that lens, it's still small enough to fit into a coat/jacket pocket, or light enough to just keep in my hand for a while.

Not sure if that's the type of info that you were looking for. If not, feel free to try again :cool1:

Yes, this is definitely helpful. Thank you!!

That's great that you were able to use the 20% off on a Vera Bradley bag. We recently were at the Vera Bradley outlet store but unfortunately they didn't have Disney patters - so this might be a good alternative

That setup for the World Cup was very cool and such a great idea - another place to hide from rain/heat and maybe they make a bit of extra $ selling snacks. Kinda surprised they didn't also fit in a gift shop ... think of all the Duffy Futbol outfits they could have sold!

That room you ate lunch in is really night - that is where we sat for the tequila lunch pairing Food & Wine Festival event. You are spot on when you focused on the light fixtures

Wonderful pictures. I love the bag Stephanie chose. The Odyssey building for the World Cup sounds like it was a nice place to take a little break. It looks like you had a nice lunch at La Cantina de San Angel. And the lighting was really cool!

Always great to do a bit of shopping that last day ... Cool bag for Stephanie for sure : ) it's amazing how the World Cup even had a pop up location at Epcot (( poor abandoned buildings at Epcot though )) really cool they had that available for guests. Now of they could have a football pavilion for games : )
Yikes more rain but happy you were all able to duck out for lunch and a great spot too. Fun night ahead at MK : )

Yes, last chance for souvenirs!! :cool1:

That's great that you were able to use the 20% off on a Vera Bradley bag. We recently were at the Vera Bradley outlet store but unfortunately they didn't have Disney patters - so this might be a good alternative

That setup for the World Cup was very cool and such a great idea - another place to hide from rain/heat and maybe they make a bit of extra $ selling snacks. Kinda surprised they didn't also fit in a gift shop ... think of all the Duffy Futbol outfits they could have sold!

That room you ate lunch in is really night - that is where we sat for the tequila lunch pairing Food & Wine Festival event. You are spot on when you focused on the light fixtures

They actually did have a gift shop/area for the World Cup in the Odyssey. (I guess I forgot to grab a photo.) No Duffy stuff though. That would have been cool. :thumbsup2

Wonderful pictures. I love the bag Stephanie chose. The Odyssey building for the World Cup sounds like it was a nice place to take a little break. It looks like you had a nice lunch at La Cantina de San Angel. And the lighting was really cool!

Thanks Kelley :hippie:

Day 11 - Friday the 13th - Part 2 - Strawberry Shortcake

After we finished lunch, we decided to dash over to the pyramid since it was close and we could stay relatively dry. We've always loved the boat ride. There are parts of the old "River of Time" version of the attraction that I prefer, but generally the newer version of "Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros" is pretty darn cool! (And at least they kept a lot of the old theme in place.)

I love passing the the restaurant. This is one of the few table service locations in EPCOT that we've never tried... maybe next time?

A pyramid inside a pyramid? Sort of like those Russian nesting dolls. I wonder if there is an even smaller pyramid inside of this one?

After the ride, we explored inside the pyramid for a while and then decided to start making our way back. But we HAD to stop at Sunshine Seasons first for Stephanie's strawberry shortcake. (Stephanie tries to get one of these at least once on every visit to EPCOT.) Buddy and Princess weren't interested, so we let them head back to the Grand Floridian to hang out on their own for a while.

After all these years, I had never tried one before, and Stephanie wasn't going to share, so we all got our own :rotfl2:

So yeah, from my perspective, it was pretty darn good. Stephanie enjoyed it, but she said that they changed the jelly (or something) and it's not quite as good as it used to be. But still very good.

After we had our desserts, it was nearing 1:30pm and we decided it was time to go. So we hopped back on monorail for the ride back to the hotel.

Knowing that we wouldn't be passing through the lobby too many more times, we stopped to soak it in for a few minutes.

It's funny what the kids find amusing. You wouldn't believe how much time the younger ones played on these stairs throughout the week. They had made games on how they would go up and down on the carpet patterns and what not.

And heading out the back of the lobby into the resort, we always passed this cool window display. Some of the pieces move.

And then out the back door... (I think I mentioned somewhere that they don't always wait for me to take photos. Hahaha!)

And heading back up to the room to find Princess and Buddy.

We relaxed for about an hour. It was now about 3:30pm and time to head over to the Magic Kingdom. We did a little more exploring on the way over. I walked through back the hallway in the back corner of the second floor lobby to take a peak at Victoria & Albert's.

Maybe when the kids are all grown, Stephanie and l will have to come back here for a special occasion!

Lots of cool antiques (or things made to look like antiques) scattered about the second floor lobby.

Oh, and we usually pass on the other side of the building, but they have a cool "bath shop" upstairs too.

Love the Mickey soaps.

And finally, we were ready for our last monorail ride of the trip. (It was generally best to take the Monorail to MK and the boat back to GF.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter