Heely Roller Shoes are EVERYWHERE!

Just wanted to pipe in that food IS allowed at the Disney parks now. The MK park map says so. Just no alcohol or glass but all other food is certainly allowed. Can't use that as an excuse anymore.

Let's get down to the real issue here. Is our society getting THAT lazy that we need to have wheels on our shoes? Seems ridiculous to me.

Now before I start getting peppered with replies about rules... How many of you were speeding on the way to school/work today? How many of you have snuck that bottle of apple juice or package of graham crackers into the parks --- when it clearly says NO OUTSIDE FOOD?

I'm being honest with you. Are you guys being honest with me?

I never understand these type of comments. Rules and laws, etc. are to be obeyed regardless of what others do. The mass mentality of some do it, so I can simply does not work in civilized society.

But for the record I did not speed to work today, have no desire to get a ticket and I don't sneak food in the park, I buy what I need there. As to asking someone about the rules, they are posted at the parks, in their brochures and you have been informed here. If you ignore them, you have chosen to put yourself and your child above them.

Because Disney has decided that the rule isn't important enough to enforce. Disney thinks the rule to ban hand guns is important to have security look through your bags before entering the parks. If they were concerned about it, Disney would enforce it

Disney should not have to enforce it, many rules are not enforced but that does not allow one to break them either. If Disney "was not" concerned about it, they would allow it and tell you so.

Much of the time, the no smoking rules are not enforced either. Yet I drag my sorry butt to the smoking area. Because it is the RULE. I also do not smoke in a nonsmoking room, even though there is not a big sign above the bed saying "DONT SMOKE HERE" although maybe there should be.

No I did not speed to work today. I work at home and walked to the desk at a low rate of speed. :teeth: But I do not speed on the roads. Ever see the commercial with Jeff Burton where his kids are making fun of him for driving so slow??? Yeah, thats me.

I didn't like the Heely's before, they cause a lot of accidents. My sister is an ER nurse at a pediatric hospital and she told me if I ever got them for my kids I am a fool.

Monday night I went to my 12 yr olds school concert. Heely's are not allowed during school hours, but someone's Mom thought this meant it was okay to wear them to the concert (with dress clothes and a tie :rolleyes: )

Well, Heely boy came around the corner (top speed in an EXTREMELY crowded hallway) and I was given a Xmas bloody nose! Woohooo!! Glad he got to have a good time in his shoes.

To his credit, he apologized 1000 times and looked like he was going to cry....so I knew he did not intend to hurt anyone. And there lies the problem. Even with the best intentions, accidents happen. And putting wheels on people raises the probability of an accident, no matter how well they think they can maneuver on those things.

2Princes2Princesses said:
And putting wheels on people raises the probability of an accident, no matter how well they think they can maneuver on those things.

I think you nailed the problem. . . most people have trouble not running into other guests while wearing a good pair of Nikes! Throw some wheels on and large crowds and you're just begging for an accident!

No, I don't bring food into the park (and I didn't speed to work today). That being said, people that bring food into the park are probably not going to slam their food into another person and hurt them. Not so with people on Heelys.[/QUOTE]

You totally contradicted yourself here...rules are rules....heelys or food....you are wrong in implying that some rules are ok to break and some are not....that being said....I speed to work occassionally when I am late, I never wear my seat belt, and yes I spank and raise my voice to my children and sometimes at the same time....if that makes me a bad person and parent then so be it....one person is getting bashed for his opinion....and thats not right when I am sure all the ones bashing him have broken the occasional rule his/herself....Disney tells peeple to move all the way over and dont plop in the middle of the aisle at its shows....I have yet to see that rule followed or enforced....Also I havent seen a list of rules for Disney parks....So I am sure I have broken several of them not knowing that I was doing it....I think that is the point....and no I am not gonna take time out of my 75 dollar ticket and day at the park to try and read and study and enforce every Disney rule...the point is and I am sure this is what Disney thinks....Common Sense....most people have it and Disney knows it and I think thats why some rules are enforced and some are just not....so stop attacking someone for there opinion....nothing wrong with a debate but not an attack and then getting personal about beating there children...totally un-called for....to me that was just as wrong....ethical rule I guess.... :rolleyes:

trypnotic said:
Let's get down to the real issue here. Is our society getting THAT lazy that we need to have wheels on our shoes? Seems ridiculous to me.

I guess so....we had to have bicycles, cars, planes, trains....the wheel was a neat invention...I think it actually helps the kids....they have fun and get a bit more excercise...if I thought I could wear them and not kill myself I probably would have some too....I guess my 5 year is lazy and doesnt need his bicycle....dang....electricity even made us lazier.....all we need is a fire place and candles.... :confused3 .......then the internet....wow how lazy has the society become....next please this was ridiculous

DaisyD said:
Just wanted to pipe in that food IS allowed at the Disney parks now. The MK park map says so. Just no alcohol or glass but all other food is certainly allowed. Can't use that as an excuse anymore.

So Disney finally realized this was a dumb rule or that they couldnt enforce it....it was only in place to help there profits anyway....I am sure the majority on this board has brought food, gum crackers into the park....even if you didnt know it was in your pocket or purse.....I bet we see wheelys sold at Disney real soon but they will have Mickey on them and cost 20 dollars more...I have no problem with it either

Much of the time, the no smoking rules are not enforced either. Yet I drag my sorry butt to the smoking area. Because it is the RULE. I also do not smoke in a nonsmoking room, even though there is not a big sign above the bed saying "DONT SMOKE HERE" although maybe there should be.

No I did not speed to work today. I work at home and walked to the desk at a low rate of speed. :teeth: But I do not speed on the roads. Ever see the commercial with Jeff Burton where his kids are making fun of him for driving so slow??? Yeah, thats me.

I didn't like the Heely's before, they cause a lot of accidents. My sister is an ER nurse at a pediatric hospital and she told me if I ever got them for my kids I am a fool.

Monday night I went to my 12 yr olds school concert. Heely's are not allowed during school hours, but someone's Mom thought this meant it was okay to wear them to the concert (with dress clothes and a tie :rolleyes: )

Well, Heely boy came around the corner (top speed in an EXTREMELY crowded hallway) and I was given a Xmas bloody nose! Woohooo!! Glad he got to have a good time in his shoes.

To his credit, he apologized 1000 times and looked like he was going to cry....so I knew he did not intend to hurt anyone. And there lies the problem. Even with the best intentions, accidents happen. And putting wheels on people raises the probability of an accident, no matter how well they think they can maneuver on those things.

Why wouldnt this argument hold for the segways also....its the same thing....but even more dangerous if you ask me....I know its a Disney controlled environment but accidents still happen...you cant prevent them....what if a person cut the corner hurrying back to there room and ran into you should the feet be banned too....you cant prevent accidents....sorry it happened but it happens....heelys, walking or whatever...I think it shows he was a good kid with manners since he apologized....car accidents happen everyday we arent banning vehicles....I dont get it....I know its a rule but this discussion has strayed far away from being just about it being a rule....little confused....

dolphindan1 said:
You totally contradicted yourself here...rules are rules....heelys or food....you are wrong in implying that some rules are ok to break and some are not

I said that I didn't speed, nor did I bring in food. I did say that brining in food was probably not going to cause someone to get hurt. If you took that to mean that I implied it was ok to break some rules, that wasn't my intention.

The issue is, Heelys can be dangerous and Disney has prohibited them. Still, many people think it is OK to still wear them.

dolphindan1 said:
Why wouldnt this argument hold for the segways also....its the same thing....but even more dangerous if you ask me....I know its a Disney controlled environment but accidents still happen...you cant prevent them....what if a person cut the corner hurrying back to there room and ran into you should the feet be banned too....you cant prevent accidents....sorry it happened but it happens....heelys, walking or whatever...I think it shows he was a good kid with manners since he apologized....car accidents happen everyday we arent banning vehicles....I dont get it....I know its a rule but this discussion has strayed far away from being just about it being a rule....little confused....

People on Segways are trained to use them. I have not seen any guest on a Segway at any resort I have gone to. Yes, accidents happen, but that really isn't the point. The point is, Heelys ARE banned and people are choosing to disregard this fact.

Why is is so important for a person to wear these?

dolphindan1 said:
I bet we see wheelys sold at Disney real soon but they will have Mickey on them and cost 20 dollars more...I have no problem with it either

But even if they do. .. doesn't necessarily mean that they'd allow kids to wear them. It wouldn't be the first time. When I worked at MGM, we sold those bullwhips in the Indy Outpost and Indy Truck. We had to tie them up before we put them out and then warn guests when they bought them that they absolutely could not cut the tie while in the park. It was considered a weapon and if security saw someone had cut the tie, it would be confiscated.

I am fairly new to this board and am going to WDW in Jan for the first time. My kids do have heelys, although they are not allowed to wear them in the stores, etc. Is there a sign that is posted at the gate when you walk into a park that says heelys are not allowed. I think that alot of people probably do not know that this is a rule.

NashvilleTrio said:
Well we're not talking about swearing, running with knives or playing with matches. So stay focused on the subject at hand.

I'm confused why you care if the child is using the shoes if they're not posing you or others any harm. If you go to vacation looking for stuff to complain about (to CM or others on this board), you're going to find it.

I can't speak for how other parents rear their children. I believe in letting a kid be a kid, but I do keep my son on a pretty tight leash. I go out of my way to teach him how to avoid being rude and discipline him when he crosses a boundary.

I guess I'm frustrated with the attitudes being exhibited in this thread about children wearing and using these shoes. If the child is out of control and in danger of hurting themselves or others, then of course they need to be asked to stop using them.

My son is receiving a pair for Christmas and I'm sure he'll be using them in January while we're at Universal. If he is incapable of controlling himself while using the shoes, either because of balance problems or lack of self-control, the shoes will be impounded.

I'm perfectly capable of making the best decisions myself and my child.

Greg -- whose wife hopes people don’t' start flaming us since we share this account. :)
The point was that kids need boundries. If there are rules in place even if everyone else is doing it they should understand that rules are usually there for the sefety of themselves and others. Heely's are great for the playground, bikepath and skate park, not the supermarket, school, amusement parks.

1. No I didn't speed on my way to work today.
2. No, I don't take outside food into Disneyworld.

Now that that is out of the way, I love the mentality that a rule is a rule only if you are pulled aside and told personaly. So if you don't stop an get your own set of rules, you can do whatever you want and not have to worry? You are paying admission to a park, it is your duty to know the rules that you are expected to follow. Anyway, I though skates were illegal in Florida unless you were in a skate park? :confused3

MyGoofy26 said:
But even if they do. .. doesn't necessarily mean that they'd allow kids to wear them. It wouldn't be the first time. When I worked at MGM, we sold those bullwhips in the Indy Outpost and Indy Truck. We had to tie them up before we put them out and then warn guests when they bought them that they absolutely could not cut the tie while in the park. It was considered a weapon and if security saw someone had cut the tie, it would be confiscated.

If they do they are just setting themselves up....I think that would be hypocritical....So Disney sold weapons to kids...LOL...J/K.... :rotfl:

I understand the no Wheely rule...no arguments about the rule...but I agree it needs to be made well known....the CMS cannot be the only one who know its a rule....thats my point...Like one poster said are the rules posted somewhere in an obvious location...Disney is Sensory overload....Hell I never noticed the Tip board on main street till my 3rd trip...Bathrooms are hard to find....Most rules are common sense like I stated before....saftey type and what not....but who would really know besides a CM that Wheelys are not permitted...I didnt know till a worker told us at Pigeon Forge...it wasnt on the brochure I saw no sign....not saying there were no signs I didnt see them....I drive a car everyday and I am sure I dont know every little miniscule road rule...and when i go on a trip I dont get traffic laws for every state I enter when I enter them...i know the main ones and that holds true for each state...some states you cant turn right on red some you can...thats my point not saying rules should be broken but you cant expect vacationers to concern themselves with the small stuff...I hope that makes sense....

I do not want to join the debate, but I was just wondering if there is somewhere we can see the park rules before arriving. THANKS

dolphindan1 said:
I bet we see wheelys sold at Disney real soon but they will have Mickey on them and cost 20 dollars more...I have no problem with it either

I did LOL at this.....as it may be true.

But that doesn't mean they will allow them to be worn in the parks. They sell bikinis at WDW, but the rules state that they are not proper attire for the parks. :)

I did LOL at this.....as it may be true.

But that doesn't mean they will allow them to be worn in the parks. They sell bikinis at WDW, but the rules state that they are not proper attire for the parks. :)

Your right I just think its a bit hypocritical...I have no problem following the rules as long as I know them....Maybe we need Disney ED classes...you know kinda like Drivers ed...so we can learn all the dos and donts....or maybe a hidden rule board like Hidden Mickeys....since Disney likes to hide things.... :rotfl: :rotfl: ....sorry just being silly now

I'm sorry you were hurt. You point out many important issues here. It's not safe. It doesn't matter how great the kid is, one bit of gravel or one person stopping short can cause an accident and someone can get hurt.

In a crowded area, people cannot roller skate. You wouldn't think it needs to be in writing on a big sign. The list of rules would be ridiculously long if WDW had to specifically state - no heelys, no skateboards, no bicycles, no rock climbing gear, etc. No matter what you think of to include, there will be someone who tries to do something not specifically included on the list.

Disney states on the maps:

"We work hard to offer a comfortable, safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests. Please assist us by showing common courtesy to fellow park guests. Please be respectful of others. Do not use profanity or engage in unsafe, illegal or offensive behavior. Please abide by all safety warnings and notices. Proper attire - including shirt and shoes - must be worn at all times."

If someone is doing something unsafe, no matter if it is specifically mentioned or not, is breaking park rules.

When I was a CM, I had someone climb up the side of a planter and sit in the dirt to get a better view at Fantasmic. I had to instruct them to get out. Do we need a sign or printed document stating "No scaling planters and sitting in the dirt"?

Several years ago, my aunt was burned in WDW by someone carrying around a lit cigarette at his side. I also witnessed an older unsteady gentleman almost knocked over by a heely-wearer.

The kids aren't necessarily bad or have bad intentions, they just need supervision and rules. Many problems are the result of parents who do not teach their children to respect the world around them- to respect other people and to respect rules and laws and to use common sense as to when things violate those rules. I believe that following rules of courtesy shows respect for yourself and others and respect shows compassion and love - this is what the world needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter