• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Heelies in WDW

transparant

<font color=red>Oh say does that star-spangled ban
Hi everyone!

Just got home yesterday from WDW. We had a FANTASTIC time! The weather was quite chilly in the beginningn of the week - but warmed up towards the end.

My gripe - HEELIES! A boy around 11(ish) was wearing his heelies and not paying attention to where he was going. My youngest was holding my hand and we were walking towards Splash Mountain when all of the sudden this kid slams into my son. They both banged heads with each other - the kid with the heelies fell backwards and hurt his elbow.

My son still has a bruise above his eyebrow.

I really hate those darn heelies!

Other than that mishap - we had a great trip. It was so chilly the night we were in MGM that when the snow started falling at the Osborne Christmas lights - it felt authentic :goodvibes

Heather

Transparent, I know what you mean. We just got back too and they were everywhere. No incidents like yours, but I do think they are the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

Sorry that happened to your son. I know they are not to be worn in the parks, but how is that advertised? Is it just the responsibility of the CM's to enforce, or should the security guards at the gates keep an eye out for them. I have never looked at them up close, but I'm sure they have some sort of distinctive trademark to them.
I will admit to having intentionally stepped into the path of heeley wearers just to slow them down or make them stop.

Sorry that happened to your son. I noticed alot of heelies on the handicap ramps, as I pushed the stroller. Seems I was constantly dodging kids with heelies. Another place where they were in abundance was the hill at the Land pavillion. I didn't see any signs prohibiting them. Also nothing mentioned in the maps or times guides.

Really, you can't honestly hate heelys. Maybe their improper use, or the parents lack of responsibility. That would be like saying "I hate ECV's", just the misuse of them :sunny:

My dd almost got wiped out by a kid with Heelys on a sidewalk at Pop Century. And the dad of the kid laughed at us when we dodged out of his kid's way. :sad2:

I wish CMs would enforce the "no heelys" policy better. Those are a hazard in a crowd.

luvdiz2 said:
Really, you can't honestly hate heelys. Maybe their improper use, or the parents lack of responsibility. That would be like saying "I hate ECV's", just the misuse of them :sunny:

I can't really equate the two. You really don't see people in ECV's racing around zipping in and out of pedestrians. And the people in EVCs are usually adults who tend to be more responsible.

They should NOT be allowed in the parks. But some people just don't get it and think they're allowed to do anything, anywhere they want! Just like smoking outside the designated areas. On our trip 2 weeks ago I saw quite a few people walking around with lit cigarettes. Most were trying to hide them which tells me the know they weren't following the rules. We saw one person smoking a cigarette asking a CM a question!! I don't know why, but the CM didn't tell the guest they weren't allowed to smoke outside the designated areas.

luvdiz2 said:
Sorry, but I do think they are ridiculous looking and it's just my opinion. No one has to like it or agree with it.

My kids love their Heelys but know the score -- no wearing them to school or in crowded, public places.

luvdiz2 said:

Oh please, that's just arguing over semantics.

OP, I know what you mean. They just became popular in our town and none of the kids I've seen with them are very good at using them. Usually I see them being towed by their parents in this ridiculous posture with their butts sticking out, trying to balance. The same parents who would force a child to wear protective gear with roller blades think nothing of going without when wearing the heelies. I just don't get it.

My DD's been asking for them, but all she gets is a big fat no.

Heelys look like fun and I think are fine in appropriate places (ie, HOME).

They are not cool in theme parks or crowded malls, and I honestly don't know what parents are thinking when they let their kids wear them to WDW. :crazy: So inconsiderate, and totally irresponsible.

CheshireVal said:
Heelys look like fun and I think are fine in appropriate places (ie, HOME).

They are not cool in theme parks or crowded malls, and I honestly don't know what parents are thinking when they let their kids wear them to WDW. :crazy: So inconsiderate, and totally irresponsible.

The parents are idiots.

We saw quite a few in early November at WDW. They became a running joke to us after a while (even when I spotted some kids in Target last night with them). Bottom line: they are THE dumbest looking contraption I've seen in a long time. The make the kids look stupid (and I loved skating/blading/skate boarding in my younger days), PLUS they teach the children to walk improperly (on the balls of their feet) which also makes them look ridiculous.

I hate 'em...yup...THE HEELIES I hate. The kids and parents who use/allow them outside of the home, I just think they are morons.

disney junky said:
Sorry that happened to your son. I know they are not to be worn in the parks, but how is that advertised? Is it just the responsibility of the CM's to enforce, or should the security guards at the gates keep an eye out for them. I have never looked at them up close, but I'm sure they have some sort of distinctive trademark to them.
I will admit to having intentionally stepped into the path of heeley wearers just to slow them down or make them stop.

The ones I've seen aren't obvious. And because the wheels can be retracted, the kids could walk in with them looking like sneakers, and the CM wouldn't know. I hope that in the future, there is something mentioned, but I guess WDW is just hoping they are a fad that will end soon.

OP, I hope your son is feeling better soon. And I'm glad your trip was good, except for that one incident.

JunieJay said:
My kids love their Heelys but know the score -- no wearing them to school or in crowded, public places.

They do look like fun. Too bad some parents don't have the same rules you do.

I'm guessing heelies will be around WDW until there's an accident involving them that ends up being lawsuit. Next thing we know the securtiy guards will have people proving they're not wearing them! :rotfl:

(hey...it could happen!) ;)

Actually my son was run down by an ECV, driven by an adult. We had to take him to first aid, where they had to treat him for numerous injuries. This was not isolated, as it has almost happened countless times. Not arguing, just explaining that it is the misuse, not the use of. Although I personally find heelys ugly, and my son has a pair, in my time hairy boots were all the rage and everyone "had to have them". Go figure, hopefully they will work their way through quicker than the droopy pant stage that has hung around for the last few years!

They should be against the rules of the park. I bet if somebody tried to enter with skates on they would not be allowed. There is really is no difference when the wheels are being used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter