Heel Spurs, Shoes and WDW!

katybugsmom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!:earboy2:
Just found out Friday I have not one, but two heel spurs on my left foot! We are supposed to go to WDW in August and I hope I will be able to walk by then. I have been resting, applying ice with a 2lt. water bottle and my foot feels a lot better! I've got a prescription to get custom orthotics to go in my shoes. I teach Kindergarten at a huge school, so a lot of walking is required. Luckily, we only have 10 more school days this year!:woohoo: I currently only wear New Balance to school. Should I invest in something else? :confused3 I'm taking the shoes I wear to the store where I am getting my orthotic insoles tomorrow. My Dr. said the Crocs I have are no-no's! I have three pair of Croc's Cloud RX's because I am diabetic, but they aren't allowed at my school. I usually just wear them around town or at the beach. I have noticed my foot aches more with my Crocs.
I also need a supportive pair of water shoes I can wear to the water parks if we get to go! Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!!!!:love:

Just found out Friday I have not one, but two heel spurs on my left foot! We are supposed to go to WDW in August and I hope I will be able to walk by then. I have been resting, applying ice with a 2lt. water bottle and my foot feels a lot better! I've got a prescription to get custom orthotics to go in my shoes. I teach Kindergarten at a huge school, so a lot of walking is required. Luckily, we only have 10 more school days this year!:woohoo: I currently only wear New Balance to school. Should I invest in something else? :confused3 I'm taking the shoes I wear to the store where I am getting my orthotic insoles tomorrow. My Dr. said the Crocs I have are no-no's! I have three pair of Croc's Cloud RX's because I am diabetic, but they aren't allowed at my school. I usually just wear them around town or at the beach. I have noticed my foot aches more with my Crocs.
I also need a supportive pair of water shoes I can wear to the water parks if we get to go! Any suggestions?

I'd recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes. They will be able to work with you to recommend the best shoes for your feet.

As for supportive water shoes, I've never been able to find water shoes that have good arch support.

I found great success for pain relief from heel spurs with Tuli's brand heel cups ( http://www.medi-dyne.com/estore/tuli's-brand ). My doctor suggested getting "good heel cups, that actually cup the heel" and Tuli's were what I found that did that.

I like the mint green heavy duty ones the best, but when I am wearing shoes they do not fit into well (e.g. dress shoes), I use the pale yellow Classic ones.

I have multiple pairs so that I can just leave them in my shoes/boots instead of having to move them around.

The manufacturer sells them direct online, but you can find them other places as well. I got my first pair from a Mountain Equipment Co-Op store in Canada (I needed it *that day* and they had it in stock). The others I have ordered online.

Now, for our last trip to Disney, they helped a lot, but they were not enough. For our next trip, in addition to using an ECV, I am considering getting Kuru shoes ( http://www.kurufootwear.com/ ) but I have not actually tried them yet.

Finally, for me Crocs are great. There were months when they were the only kind of shoe I could wear -- I even had to wear them to work, suit and all (I got a pair of the "crocs at work" ones designed for kitchens and similar environments that have no holes on top, have a bit of a heel back other than the moveable heel thing, and have non-slip soles) :-) ).

So obviously every person will have their own specific needs and what works for one may not work for another.

-SW

I think your feet answered the question about Crocs for you :laughing:

I agree with the other posters - each person will be different; stores that specialize in running shoes are usually a good place to start.

For use with orthotics, you might need a larger size and certain brands and styles may be better fit with orthotics. My mother in law uses Asics brand, but I know some find certain styles of New Balance work well for them.
The people fitting the orthotics are usually also going to be a good source of information on what works best with them.
Bringing shoes you currently wear is a good idea.

As for water shoes - I've never seen a pair that looks supportive or as if they have good arch support. Since they are made to dry quickly, they are usually pretty simple.
What you may find that works in water and provides support would be shoes meant for outdoor wear like hiking in wet conditions, water rafting, etc.

Forgot to add - those shoes made for wet hiking have substantial doles and could be worn to walk around the water parks, but not on any water slides.

The only things I can think of as far as arch support for the water parks are the sandals made for hiking/other activities that require more grip and support. As Sue said, though, they probably won't be allowed on the slides. I know I've seen ones by a bunch of brands (some of the higher-end Tevas are the ones I'm more familiar with). They're going to be expensive, but probably far more comfortable than normal water shoes. You can order online (Zappos has a decent selection), but I tend to prefer buying these sorts of things in person. Most athletic and outdoors stores should sell some. Some stores that aren't outdoors/athletic will have them if they have a large collection including some name brands. It looks like Kohls has a small selection (of brands I don't know anything about), but do have them for substantially less expensive than you'll pay most places.

Forgot to add - those shoes made for wet hiking have substantial doles and could be worn to walk around the water parks, but not on any water slides.

What kind of water shoes are allowed at the water parks? Maybe I could get a good, deep heel insert that would be water-proof to wear with regular water shoes. What do you think?:confused3

What kind of water shoes are allowed at the water parks? Maybe I could get a good, deep heel insert that would be water-proof to wear with regular water shoes. What do you think?:confused3

I'm not positive if any water shoes are allowed on the slides (I am a chicken and stick to the lazy rivers). :rotfl:
The common kinds of water shoes are a stretchy fabric (neoprene?) and probably would not be able to hold a heel insert.
It might be worth a try though.

The only things I can think of as far as arch support for the water parks are the sandals made for hiking/other activities that require more grip and support. As Sue said, though, they probably won't be allowed on the slides. I know I've seen ones by a bunch of brands (some of the higher-end Tevas are the ones I'm more familiar with). They're going to be expensive, but probably far more comfortable than normal water shoes. You can order online (Zappos has a decent selection), but I tend to prefer buying these sorts of things in person. Most athletic and outdoors stores should sell some. Some stores that aren't outdoors/athletic will have them if they have a large collection including some name brands. It looks like Kohls has a small selection (of brands I don't know anything about), but do have them for substantially less expensive than you'll pay most places.

Kohls actually has some nice shoes - some are familiar name brands and some are their brands. I like a lot of them, but agree I would try them on.

I went to a Teva store and tried on a lot of styles that looked good in pictures, but just were not comfortable for me. I love their flip flip type sandals (especially the Olawahu) but their more shoe like ones just didn't hit my foot in the tight spots.

I'm not positive if any water shoes are allowed on the slides (I am a chicken and stick to the lazy rivers). :rotfl:
The common kinds of water shoes are a stretchy fabric (neoprene?) and probably would not be able to hold a heel insert.
It might be worth a try though.

I don't wear watershoes in the waterparks, but I've heard that if you do wear them, you have to take them off and hold them when going down the slides.

I don't wear watershoes in the waterparks, but I've heard that if you do wear them, you have to take them off and hold them when going down the slides.
Thanks.
That makes sense.
I know swimsuits with buttons or snaps are not allowed, so water shoes would probably got in the same category of things that might snag the water slides.

Kohls actually has some nice shoes - some are familiar name brands and some are their brands. I like a lot of them, but agree I would try them on.

I went to a Teva store and tried on a lot of styles that looked good in pictures, but just were not comfortable for me. I love their flip flip type sandals (especially the Olawahu) but their more shoe like ones just didn't hit my foot in the tight spots.

Thanks for all the advice Sue! I appreciate it!pixiedust:

For waterproof shoes (or for any time your feet need some comfort), you might try Oofos. They are waterproof as well as cushiony yet supportive, for most people. With your current foot condition, they might not be the best thing to wear all day every day, but they will be far better and much more supportive than regular flip flops or most other types of waterproof shoes.

Just do some research on-line and see if you can find a store in your area so you can try some on. Or they are sold on-line if you can't find them locally. Oofos - weird name, great shoe!

They can be a little expensive, but Ryka makes water shoes for women that are very much like normal athletic shoes. I had a pair, and though they don't have as much support as wearing your normal shoes with your orthotics, they do have much more support than most water shoes.

And I believe as long as there is no metal on the shoes, you can wear them on the slides as well. I generally don't do slides, but when we went to Blizzard Beach on our honeymoon (2007), I wore my Rykas, and I know I didn't take them off for the one slide I did (we mostly stuck to the tide pool and the lazy river).

I'd recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes. They will be able to work with you to recommend the best shoes for your feet.

As for supportive water shoes, I've never been able to find water shoes that have good arch support.

Ditto the running store suggestion! I have plantar faciitis in one foot and the running store near us analyzed my walk and got great shoes for me. Those shoes, plus the Superfeet inserts they recommended, have really helped a lot!

I also have a pair of Teva sandals that I wear in the house (I try not to walk barefoot). The Tevas have a lot of support...I'm not sure if they could be used in a water park (b/c of water park's rules), but I think they would work if the water park allowed them. They aren't leather sandals..they're a cloth/rubber..so I imagine they'd dry out easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter