"Hee hee hee, haw haw haw!" A vegetarian and a carnivore EAT again! COMPLETE!!!

Libby_Darling

Flippin' Her Fins
"Hee hee hee, haw haw haw!" A vegetarian and a carnivore EAT...again!

wdw201329915962791_6892046083_18copy_zps9f07c09f.jpeg

Welcome!!

Come one, come all!! Welcome to my newest dining review; a mouthwatering, hunger-inducing culinary journey through the amazing food we ate on our second trip together to Orlando!!

We are Libby and Ben :wave2: and you may remember us from such former dining reviews as:

“Les poissons, les poissons!” A vegetarian and a carnivore EAT!

And…well, that’s it. But it was a good 'un! So good, in fact, that I've continued the name theme onto this one!

Now this vintage dining review is over a year old, and for that I apologise. It’s been a very busy year since we got back (for reasons I’ll explain in a minute) so I hope nobody minds reading about food that may or may not still be on menus, in restaurants that may or may not still be open…

The Cast

I’m Libby! I’m 27 and I look like this:

PICSNEW177copy_zps20888f2a.jpg

And sometimes this:

937135a3-8da8-4799-892e-5ad561aa10fe_zpse80a1338.jpg

I love all things Disney (specifically the history/Walt’s vision and the animated movies between the mid 80’s and the mid 90’s...precise, I know), America, cats, writing and FOOD. All food. All of it.

Ben is 26 and looks like this:

IMG_0616_zpsabd9f2d6.jpg

And sometimes this:

6d43dd00-0d58-4ffc-a11f-139d86318930_zps4dadb030.jpg

He also loves Disney (all the same stuff I do, which is why we’re the perfect fit :lovestruc) America, MUSIC, vegetarian food, and basketball.

We live together in a beautiful flat in a converted schoolhouse, with our kitten Saffie:

10556443_10154454668650198_3949674152746601678_n_zps2e0d1b42.jpg

SO GORGEOUS.

The Trip

So, this trip! After we returned in 2011 it was just a case of saving up to be able to go again, because it was seriously the best 2 weeks of our life. We saved for a year and a half, and booked to go in October 2013 waaayyy back in May 2012 (!) so it was a long time to wait!! But it also gave us plenty of time to plan the trip and more importantly, plan where we were going to eat. Yay!

I realise this isn’t a trip report so I’m going to try to reign it in and focus on the food ;) I will say though, that this trip exceeded all expectations, mainly due to this:

wdw201329214276247_6889349037_18_zps0afa1db7.jpeg

Which happened on Day 8. YAY!!! After 10 years together, my boy finally proposed in my favourite place on earth. What a good egg!! This is one of the reasons I’ve taken a while to write this dining review…wedding planning!!! For those interested, we're currently at a 90% chance of a DFTW :love: EXCITING!!

There were also loads of other highlights; I have actually written the entire trip report on another forum which I’m considering copying and pasting it all over here too, to spread the love….if not, I will continue the style of my 1st dining review and pepper the food with tidbits of info about the trip. I feel you get a much better feel for the dining experiences that way :)

So yeah, there were lots of highlights, both food and otherwise. As with my last report, I’ll be sharing every morsel of food we ate (I have a food blog so am very used to taking photos of food, as is Benj!) like our food on I-Drive and Universal, including the likes of OLIVE GARDEN and RED LOBSTER which many of you found hilarious last time as apparently they aren’t exactly fine dining!? ;) :teeth: Honestly though, and here’s a spoiler, Red Lobster was one of my absolute top restaurants this trip. It was SO GOOD. You Americans don’t know how good you have it, the food at your chain restaurants is amazing! The food at our chain pubs is so lame!!!

The Food

So, onto the food of this trip. First of all, we went for THREE WHOLE WEEKS!!!!! We stayed 4 nights on International Drive, 3 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel, and 14 nights at Saratoga Springs with the standard DDP (which we got for “free” (I use the term loosely!!))

Just to tell you a bit about what we like, food-wise:

Libby’s food preferences: I love steak, carbs, garlic, cheese and seafood, preferably altogether :teeth: I enjoy chocolate and peanut butter based desserts but was often way too full to enjoy dessert :( When hungry for a snack I’ll always choose savoury over sweet, which did present some issues in WDW! Luckily I’d done my research correctly and knew all the best places for savoury snacks :D

Ben’s food preferences: He’s vegetarian for ethical reasons and has been for 8 years, so no meat or fish products. He loves spicy food, Mexican food and mushrooms. He hates leaving food on his plate, which led to many a food-induced coma on this holiday!! Sometimes he was forced to though due to the sheer massiveness of the portion sizes, haha!

We both enjoy a drink (or 7) on holiday, and loved sampling all the various alcoholic beverages WDW had to offer. Food and Wine was on during our stay and we found ourselves in Epcot a LOT!!

The Rating System

Okay, we're getting to the nitty gritty here. As with my first dining review, I’ll be using a thorough academic rating system to judge each meal/snack, based on The Little Mermaid’s outfits. Yep.

These are the different ratings:

5 stars Ariel in her wedding dress! Doesn’t get much better than this; she’s human, she’s got her man, her Dad’s cool with it all and it’s the happiest day of her life. This food is AWESOME!!

Screenshot2012-01-25at151318.png

4 stars Ariel in her beautiful pink dress. She’s happy because she’s having dinner with Eric! This food is really good :)

Screenshot2012-01-25at151341.png

3 stars Blue dress! Nice dress but she doesn’t have the best day what with being thrown into the water and all. Average food.

Screenshot2012-01-25at152249.png

2 stars Ariel in her fins. Controversial choice but technically she didn’t really like them, “flipping your fins you don’t get too far…” so although they are beautiful she’s unhappy. This food is not good.

Screenshot2012-01-25at151938.png

1 star Ariel in her makeshift DIY canvas dress. Not her best look!! Although I love how it looks awful in the first shot and then magically smoothes over and looks okay the rest of the scene! Ahhh Disney magic :bitelip: This food is AWFUL!!!

Screenshot2012-01-25at152118.png

The List

I think that’s everything! Here is the list of everywhere we ate, I’ll come back and update it with links as I do the reviews to make it easier! I know, I’m so kind/ As I said earlier, I like to give as much info as possible so I’ll be including all non-Disney food reviews as well, as they may help someone :) If you only want to read about Disney food, maybe join us a bit later on ;)

Here we go…

Pre-travel day hotel room picnic!
Wetherspoons Breakfast - Airport
Virgin Atlantic airplane food
Giordanos
Golden Corrall
Five Guys
Friendlys
Sharks Underwater Grill
Red Lobster <3
Discovery Cove food
Olive Garden
Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard
Bob Marley’s Taste of Freedom
Circus McGurkus
Hard Rock Café
Croissant Moon Bakery
Meeting a celeb and Emack & Bolios
Main Street Bakery
Pecos Bills
BONUS - The Proposal!
‘Ohana
Teppan Edo
Amway Center food
Kouzzina (breakfast)
Territory Lounge
50's Prime Time
Raglan Road
Boma
FlameTree Barbecue
Saanaa
Eating and Drinking around the F&W Festival!
California Grill

Main Street Bakery (again!)
Pecos Bills (again!)

Yachtsman Steakhouse
Fairfax Fare
Pizza Planet
Wolfgang Puck

Restaurantosaurus
That time we were in a parade!!
F&W Booths
Sunshine Seasons
Chefs de France
Kouzzina (dinner)
Celebration Town Tavern
Via Napoli
Grand Floridian Cafe
Columbia Harbour House
Pecos Bills
Narcoosees
Rainforest Cafe
Bonus Airport and Plane Food!

Longest. List. Ever.

Wow…that’s a lot of places. And it doesn't even include snacks or drinks at bars. Please remember we were there for 3 weeks though, not like eating 7 meals a day. Although it did feel like that at times.

Okay then! Lets get straight in there, shall we!?

Last edited:
Pre-travel day hotel room picnic

The day had arrived!!

FL2013BATCH1009_zps768e4eac.jpg

We flew from Gatwick, London, and travelled up to the airport the night before to stay in a nearby hotel. We looooove doing this as it eliminates a lot of stress from the actual travel day! Ben is one of those people who would be at the airport 6 hours before the flight if I'd let him!

I had the day off work and spent it very stressed out packing, weighing our cases, unpacking, and repacking. After a stressful experience in the supermarket where my card got declined and I had to call the bank (they'd cancelled the card as I'd had an 'unusual' transaction in America – I bought Ben a bunch of Indiana Pacers stuff online and got it shipped to our hotel as a little treat!) I was ready to go when Ben got home from work at 5.30. By 6 we were on the road to Gatwick...the holiday had started!!

We did Twilight Check-In at the ariport and dumped our cases, then carried on to the hotel. Once check-in and sorted, we popped downstairs to the bar for a couple of drinks:

One Pinot and one Magners!

FL2013BATCH1010_zps6fc88e85.jpg

Before heading back upstairs to our room for our little picnic. We cracked open our customary bottle of bub, and then I arranged all the nibbles I'd bought on the bed. It was quite the feast! Although my card got declined in the supermarket, luckily I'd had enough cash on me to buy the food! Otherwise we'd have gone hungry haha!! (I never carry cash so this was a huge fluke!)

The feast!

FL2013BATCH1013_zps40c372e9.jpg

I enjoy how you can see my printed out itinerary on the bed.

Cheers baby!

FL2013BATCH1014_zpse9a6f54d.jpg

We lounged on the bed and enjoyed our casual picnic :) We had bread, houmous, crisps, pasta salad, mini quiche, mozzarella balls, and some little pre-cooked vegetarian risotto bites. It was all very nice and civilised!! I'd bought just enough food too so we didn't have loads leftover, unlike 2011 when we barely made a dent!

After our little picnic it was PJ's on, into bed, and alarm set for 8am!

The Verdict

3 stars Blue dress! Nice food but nothing life-changing!

Wetherspoons

It was go time! After checking out of our hotel, we got on the shuttle to the airport.

Suitcases in!

FL2013BATCH1015_zps8ac0be95.jpg

Once at the airport we were through quite quickly as we'd already done twilight check-on. We went to duty free and bought a couple of bits, before heading to Wetherspoons for breakfast. For those that don't know, Wetherspoons is a popular chain of pubs over here...there's one in every town! We don't go there too often, but it is super cheap and the best value option at an airport. They just do bog standard breakfasts and we can always find something we both like!

We grabbed a table in the busy pub and ordered our food.

Out it came!

FL2013BATCH1019_zpscd86c86c.jpg

Vegetarian full English for Benj, with a Strongbow! Classy boy. He enjoyed this!

FL2013BATCH1020_zps41bfd106.jpg

FL2013BATCH1018_zpscf56dfc6.jpg

I had a sausage and egg sammie with a side of ‘potato rosti’ which were essentially potato smilies…fine with me! I also had an orange juice, not the fresh kind as that had bits in (I always ask, much to Ben’s slight embarrassment hehe :) ) but the carton kind which always manages to taste greasy in Wetherspoons. Ew.

This was a nice breakfast, apart from the greasy tasting OJ. It was like £12 all in so very reasonable for airport food! They had free WiFi too which was much appreciated :)

The Verdict

I'd give this a blue dress too. Scathing, I know, but I can't be throwing out wedding dresses for airport food!! :rotfl:

Congratulations! Look forward to reading the rest your report and reviews of restaurants. We are a family of vegetarians and would love to try some new places around WDW...

Yay! Another Libby & Ben report. :). Congratulations on your engagement - so happy for you both!!!

Do you still have your food blog? Link please? :).

Can't wait to read this report!

Jill

Oh hooray!! We just had a DFTW last month (one month ago today in fact!) and so of course I'm hoping you are able to swing that :thumbsup2 I'm loving your trip so far - it's so fascinating to see the food overseas!

Congrats on your engagement! You are a very lucky girl to find a man who loves Disney as much a you:goodvibes You are an adorable couple and your cat is so cute! Looking forward to following along on your culinary adventures!!!

Ah finally someone who understands olive garden (LOL). I wish we had them here...totally a guilty pleasure

Congratulations! Look forward to reading the rest your report and reviews of restaurants. We are a family of vegetarians and would love to try some new places around WDW...

Thank you! Welcome aboard! We found some great veggie options in WDW as always, so will be sharing them all! :)

Yay! Another Libby & Ben report. :). Congratulations on your engagement - so happy for you both!!!

Do you still have your food blog? Link please? :).

Can't wait to read this report!

Jill

Thank you!! What a warm welcome :teeth: Haha yes I do still have my food blog, embarrassingly it hasn't been updated in over a year but actually I've decided to resurrect it and possibly start by uploading these Disney dining reviews! So feel free to have a look and there will be new updates coming soon!!

www.polkadotkitchen.com

Hope you enjoy the report! x

Loving this already! Congratulations! What a cute way of doing your report. LM fan here, too!

Aww thank you :) Yay, it's the best movie!! :wave2: xxx

Oh hooray!! We just had a DFTW last month (one month ago today in fact!) and so of course I'm hoping you are able to swing that :thumbsup2 I'm loving your trip so far - it's so fascinating to see the food overseas!

OMG I have been obsessed with your planning journal!! I can't believe you're back and married, the bit I'm reading is like 2 months til the wedding!! Did you have the most magical time? Can't wait to read all about it, you two seem like the cutest couple! I'd love to pick your brains one day if I can - currently thinking of an October 2016 Wishes wedding :lovestruc Still looking at venues over here though as I'm so indecisive and like to make sure I've explored all options...but nothing compares to a DFTW! It's just so far for us and our guests to come! But people have been excited and supportive so far :)

Hope you enjoy the dining review! :teeth:

OMG I have been obsessed with your planning journal!! I can't believe you're back and married, the bit I'm reading is like 2 months til the wedding!! Did you have the most magical time? Can't wait to read all about it, you two seem like the cutest couple! I'd love to pick your brains one day if I can - currently thinking of an October 2016 Wishes wedding :lovestruc Still looking at venues over here though as I'm so indecisive and like to make sure I've explored all options...but nothing compares to a DFTW! It's just so far for us and our guests to come! But people have been excited and supportive so far :)

Hope you enjoy the dining review! :teeth:

Awww, you're so sweet!! We had an amazing, out of this world time and I wouldn't have done it any other way :goodvibes PM me any time you want, any questions you have, I'd love to help! We couldn't imagine doing a wedding at home - and October brides are the best if I do say so myself ;)

I can't wait for more food!

YEAH for another fabulous dining report from Libby!!

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

I LOVED your last dining report!!!

Love your pictures!

Love your writing style!

Love your accent!

LOVE that you and Ben are getting married!!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Congrats on your engagement!

Following along as I'm a veggie (vegan at home but I will allow egg and dairy mixed in things when I'm away) and love when there are vegetarian food reports.

I also think the UK seems to be more accommodating of vegetarians than the US (at least in the South where I am). But I've only visited. What did Ben think about US vs. UK veggie options?

Awww, you're so sweet!! We had an amazing, out of this world time and I wouldn't have done it any other way :goodvibes PM me any time you want, any questions you have, I'd love to help! We couldn't imagine doing a wedding at home - and October brides are the best if I do say so myself ;)

I can't wait for more food!

I'm so glad you had an amazing time :) Thank you for the offer of help! Can't wait to read about all your wedding adventures!!

More food coming right up :teeth: xxx

YEAH for another fabulous dining report from Libby!!

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

I LOVED your last dining report!!!

Love your pictures!

Love your writing style!

Love your accent!

LOVE that you and Ben are getting married!!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Wow what a reception!! :cheer2: :cheer2: I am so thrilled that you enjoyed my last report and I'm so pleased that you're pleased we're getting married :) Hope you enjoy the report! xxx

Congrats on your engagement!

Following along as I'm a veggie (vegan at home but I will allow egg and dairy mixed in things when I'm away) and love when there are vegetarian food reports.

I also think the UK seems to be more accommodating of vegetarians than the US (at least in the South where I am). But I've only visited. What did Ben think about US vs. UK veggie options?

Hi! Thank you! Good to have another veggie reading along!

I would have to say that the US is WAAYYY more accommodating of veggies! It is getting better over here (we live in the South, near London - obviously London is amazing for veggies but we're about 2 hours away!) Ben loves that when he goes to Florida he won't have to worry about vegetarian choices at all, he can just look forward to all the food. Over here, his food often seems to be an afterthought compared to the things I am able to get :worried: If we go on minibreaks etc I trawl all the menus at places we're going to eat to make sure they have things he can have. I cook at home a lot and love it, so he eats really well at home (if I do say so myself) :teeth: But generally eating out, it's better in the US. When we go to Disneyland Paris it's a whole other story...they are NOT good for vegetarians! They think veggies eat fish! Uh, noooooo! So they label all the options with a V but then we'll read the description and it'll be like "with salmon" or "grilled prawns" :furious:

Hope you enjoy the report! xxxx

Virgin Atlantic food

Our flight took off pretty much on time at 1pm, and we had a fabulous flight! We sat in the ‘bubble’, the upstairs bit of Virgin planes. It was lovely! I was absolutely starving as soon as we got on the plane and they didn’t serve the food for aaagggeess! They bought drinks round and teeny tiny packets of pretzels, but I was just so hungry!

FL2013BATCH1026_zps5530bdf0.jpg

FL2013BATCH1034_zpsb28d7a0e.jpg

Finally, it was lunchtime. Benji’s veggie meal was bought round first, which I’d pre-ordered.

FL2013BATCH1027_zps4f1709ad.jpg

FL2013BATCH1028_zps4062adf4.jpg

He had cheesy veggie pasta which was the veggie option on the main menu, I wanted it but I was disappointed to see it was tiny! Strange that he just got given the veggie option this time, last time on BA it was something completely different! He thoroughly enjoyed it and let me have a little taste so I could be sure I wanted to order it too!

So I got the same, cheesy veggie pasta which was okay once we’d put loads of salt and pepper on it hahah! We also got a bread roll, salad with walnuts and sultanas and a Gu Key Lime pudding which was nice but a bit tart!

FL2013BATCH1029_zps9f04663f.jpg

We were bought a Skinny Cow ice cream a bit later on, we enjoyed these and I was quite impressed with how yummy they were for how low calorie they were!

FL2013BATCH1037_zps4d913788.jpg

The rest of the flight went by fairly quickly (considering it was 9 hours) and I amused myself watching Honey Boo Boo (I’d never seen it before…what an experience!!) Gatsby, food programmes, and watching the Skymap where I got really excited because I spotted Titanic site on the screen! I literally got so excited as I thought I’d seen it flash in front of me but then we had to wait for the other 67 screens to show before it came round again, but there it was, yay! I loooooooove all things Titanic (we live in Southampton!) so found this super cool :D

FL2013BATCH1039_zps31ba0bc0.jpg

And then…we landed!! :teeth:

The Verdict

Hmmm..wasn’t overly impressed with the food, it was nowhere near as nice as when we flew with BA in 2011!

Screenshot2012-01-25at151938.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter