Heartbroken son- suggestions to help him get his mind off ex-gf

Lots of his favorite drinks snacks and dinners.
Comfortable space.
An ear if he wants it.

Youths have been breaking up via notes forever. When you're that age at least IMO it's not necessarily the same way as a grown adult especially in the days of text messaging and honestly the fact that she wrote him a letter speaks volumes of her respect IMO to not do it over text.

I can understand being hurt for your son OP but the girl said she needed space, she needed a break. Now I do not in any way shape or form know your son OP but it's possible she felt pressured to stay in the relationship or pressured to get over the break as quick as possible and resume the relationship. If she did then the letter may have been the only way she could have felt like she could get out her feelings without that pressure.

IDK about the during class part but that may have been the only time to give it to him and if it wasn't maybe it was the 'easiest' if you will.

Breakups suck there's no doubt. Agree that time can def. help.

A hand-written break up note is at least better than breaking up via text message.

Don't trash talk his ex-GF. Just be there for him. Listen to him when he wants to talk. Give him a shoulder to cry on. Give him a couple of days to wallow in his sorrow. Then invite some of his buddies over for pizza and movie night and let them stay up until the wee hours of the night playing video games.

Yes... my son's best friend, after FOUR years, his girlfriend broke up with him, over Valentine's Day, with a TEXT.
And, we are not talking 16 year old kids here.

This guy spent four years of his life just so committed to her.
And, nothing but "ohhhh baby, baby" ever came back his way.
Everybody tried to tell him... But love is sometimes blind.

When a break up is by a short text, and actually reads... "And my mom says...."
UGGGGGHHHHH

We live in the age of smart-phone and texts.
An actual personal note is actually unexpectedly more appropriate!!!!!

Poor kid. :(

I think all you can really do is be there. It's ok for him to cry, and ok for him to just want to be alone...for a little while anyway. Grieving (for anything) is a process, and it's ok to let him go through that process. Mine is only 13, but he still likes to eat ice cream in bed with me when he's upset. Sometimes B&J can fix things mom can't. LOL Just holding him, if he'll let you, and being silent is helpful.

He'll get through it. Might take a little time.

A hand-written break up note is at least better than breaking up via text message.

Don't trash talk his ex-GF. Just be there for him. Listen to him when he wants to talk. Give him a shoulder to cry on. Give him a couple of days to wallow in his sorrow. Then invite some of his buddies over for pizza and movie night and let them stay up until the wee hours of the night playing video games.
While I agree I’d encourage him to spend times with friends, ds16 would not be happy if I set up a sleepover with his friends (I might ask him if he wanted some friends over). And don’t all teen boy sleepovers end up with all night gaming anyway? By 16, none of my kids have bed times, even during the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter