Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was continuing to unpack (we just bought a house) I was thinking about this, and I realized I hadn't said something.

In none of my words do I mean to criticize the family. They made a choice while at WDW. They wanted to watch a movie, I assume. So they went. They were probably tired. Like in the snake bite thread; the kid just wanted his toy (if I'm remembering it right). He wasn't thinking, he was just acting, and ran into wildlife. Being there in the moment is different.

My dumbfoundedness isn't at them, but at the people HERE. People are seeming almost proud of the fact that they didn't know about gators and their behaviour and where they live and that they can be anywhere in FL. And that's just astonishing to me. Maybe I read more books about nature as a child. Maybe I watched more Discovery Channel in my early 30s. I don't know. Maybe I just live in my head a whole lot more than normal people, but when I think of Florida, I think of the wildlife. One of their college football teams is named the Gators!

For us, talking about it and thinking about it, we can have discussions that that family wasn't having. Maybe they know all about it, and the knowledge just didn't come up in their mind while thinking "what to do tonight". Gracious knows that happens to all of us.

Their situation is different from ours (besides the obvious way). We are talking. We aren't experiencing, directly, this situation.

So any implied or stated criticism by me of people isn't geared towards them, but towards those talking about it. Because this isn't the time to stand firm in any lack of knowledge IMO. This isn't like realizing it can, indeed, go below freezing in FL. I had heard about frost in orange groves, but it didn't click that that meant it could freeze there. NOW I know b/c I have experienced it on more than one trip. But it's understandable that many don't know that. But wildlife...let's not embrace the not-knowing here.

People also might not realize that it's alligator mating season right now so they are more aggressive. However 9 times out of 10 they're scared of humans and swim away.

Also, look at why River Country closed. A boy contracted a brain eating amoeba. Which not too long ago here in SW Florida at the beach someone caught the same thing. River Country was using the same water that's there today. So I think a warning sign about the water is sufficient. To me "no swimming" means there's a danger in the water and you need to stay out. I can see now they'll probably change all the signs and make it something like "warning: stay out of water". But they can't possibly post signs or warnings of every dangerous animal you might encounter at Disney..alligators, snakes, spiders, opossums, etc.

My opinion on this is simply when something tragic happens like this we need to make sense of it and have something to point and blame. However in this situation there's nothing to point at. The parents should not be blamed nor should Disney. The alligator is an alligator that's nature. There will probably be more detailed signs and a lot more regulations on the Lagoon. I'm sorry for the parents and as a parent I couldn't imagine what they're going through. All that can really be said is I'm sorry this happened and hope they can get the support they need during this time.

As I was continuing to unpack (we just bought a house) I was thinking about this, and I realized I hadn't said something.

In none of my words do I mean to criticize the family. They made a choice while at WDW. They wanted to watch a movie, I assume. So they went. They were probably tired. Like in the snake bite thread; the kid just wanted his toy (if I'm remembering it right). He wasn't thinking, he was just acting, and ran into wildlife. Being there in the moment is different.

My dumbfoundedness isn't at them, but at the people HERE. People are seeming almost proud of the fact that they didn't know about gators and their behaviour and where they live and that they can be anywhere in FL. And that's just astonishing to me. Maybe I read more books about nature as a child. Maybe I watched more Discovery Channel in my early 30s. I don't know. Maybe I just live in my head a whole lot more than normal people, but when I think of Florida, I think of the wildlife. One of their college football teams is named the Gators!

For us, talking about it and thinking about it, we can have discussions that that family wasn't having. Maybe they know all about it, and the knowledge just didn't come up in their mind while thinking "what to do tonight". Gracious knows that happens to all of us.

Their situation is different from ours (besides the obvious way). We are talking. We aren't experiencing, directly, this situation.

So any implied or stated criticism by me of people isn't geared towards them, but towards those talking about it. Because this isn't the time to stand firm in any lack of knowledge IMO. This isn't like realizing it can, indeed, go below freezing in FL. I had heard about frost in orange groves, but it didn't click that that meant it could freeze there. NOW I know b/c I have experienced it on more than one trip. But it's understandable that many don't know that. But wildlife...let's not embrace the not-knowing here.

I don't see anyone here who is proud of not knowing. It's a response to the "The parents should have known this could happen!" statements. A response to the people who are saying everybody knows that. It's a way of showing empathy and grace to the parents, a way of putting ourselves in their shoes.

I have been thinking about this family all day. I am thankful that the boy was found and that he will be returned to his parents who will hopefully have some closure. To me, it is best described as a freak accident. Nothing else matters. And now I will be extra vigilant with my similar-aged children. And that lesson alone means that this little boy's death will be worth something very important. Those parents' lives will never be the same, and my heart goes out to them. They do not need to be vilified. And Disney does not need to be blamed. Hopefully they will take precaution to add alligator signage. Nature will not be "tamed" but there is no harm in taking steps necessary to educate the "ignorant" that so many posters have slammed. And yes, I will hug my kids even tighter tonight.

I don't see anyone here who is proud of not knowing. It's a response to the "The parents should have known this could happen!" statements. A response to the people who are saying everybody knows that. It's a way of showing empathy and grace to the parents, a way of putting ourselves in their shoes.

Yep yep.

I just watched a few of the stories on the national news, and they seem to all be squarely putting the blame on Disney, which seems right.

We have a college football team called the Florida Gators.
Also from Canada and since I pay no attention to sports why would I know there is a team called the "Florida gators" and that means that there are gators in Florida. A province to the west of me has a sports team called the BC lions and as you may have guessed it savvanah animals roam everywhere in Canada. We also have a sports team named "the raptors", you will be surprised to run into a dino in downtown Toronto. Smh. Good grief. Not everybody knows about gators it isn't something to debate, and not something your sports team supports.

Last edited:

We have a college football team called the Florida Gators.
That's nice, I've never watched a college football game. I don't even know the name of dd19's college football team, and it's in the big 10.

I know there are alligators in Florida, I guess it never occurred to me that they are in WDW. We stayed at the BC the last time, the kids played on the beach. Being the fun sponge that I am, if I thought there were alligators in the water, I would've kept them far away.

We have bear and deer here in NJ, too many, so they have to be hunted. However, they aren't everywhere, and it's a very small state. Even if people know there are alligators in Florida, they don't assume they are everywhere in Florida.

I don't think neither party is to blame here, it was simply a freak accident.

However, the "no swimming" signs are posted for a reason. We can argue "wading" vs. "swimming" all day, but what it boils down to is the sign is saying "do not get in this water." Should Disney have to post every possible reason for them - alligators, brain-eating amoeba, etc. ?
How about just one? And no, the sign clearly does not say "do not get in the water."

Just watched ABC national news. They stated that Disney is their parent company. Disney gave a nice statement.
However, I felt the part where ABC tells you *" what to DO if attacked by an alligator " ( poke him in the eye as PP in an early page said) was Disney's way of NOT helping to making guests feel any safer!!
I don't like the *way ABC/Disney is spinning this!

So if you were on vacation at a beach you wouldn't allow your child to walk on the shallows and collect shells or get water for building a sand castle?

I would teach them to swim or drown proof. Where I'm from drownings are common even when adults are right there. Happens in a blink of an I and the common statement from parents is that they only looked away for a couple seconds. They had no idea it could happen until it does. For me it hit too close to home. Teach first!

chart1.jpg

I would teach them to swim or drown proof. Where I'm from drownings are common even when adults are right there. Happens in a blink of an I and the common statement from parents is that they only looked away for a couple seconds. They had no idea it could happen until it does. For me it hit too close to home. Teach first!

You're gong to teach a two year old how to escape an attack of an alligator two or three times his size?

It sounds like the gator just let him go... :sad1: so heartbreaking.

No, gators can't chew. If the prey was larger, they will drag it under, drown it and once perished, they will stash the body and wait for days to come back after decomp has set in and then then tear the prey apart more easily.

What are you talking about?

No one is proud of the fact that they didn't know about the alligator situation at Disney. People are identifying with the parents, who obviously were not aware of the danger. ie it could happen to any of us.

Your post is offensive and unwarranted.

Yep yep.

I just watched a few of the stories on the national news, and they seem to all be squarely putting the blame on Disney, which seems right.
I'm sure the execs at Disney were horrified at what happened, and that the workers involved are all devastated. However, corporate made a decision not to include alligator warnings on all areas, and this had an impact on this family. Everyone is saying Disney is still real life, but that's not the picture corporate wanted to show. That family felt too safe.

I'm sure the execs at Disney were horrified at what happened, and that the workers involved are all devastated. However, corporate made a decision not to include alligator warnings on all areas, and this had an impact on this family. Everyone is saying Disney is still real life, but that's not the picture corporate wanted to show. That family felt too safe.

Hmmm. Outside of adding signs, what do you propose Disney should do? Pay thru the nose? Close the beaches because of a freak accident? Do construction to reconfigure the beaches so people don't use them?

Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter