Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a horrible time for Orlando. :(

My heart breaks for this poor family. I agree with PP's that there are a good portion of visitors that are unfamiliar with the situation of the wild life. If you look, you usually will find a gator at WDW if you are close to any body of water. Everytime we've been, we've seen one and I always always make sure to point them out to the kids to remind them. We've also seen water moccasins swimming in the lakes also.

I think a lot of people don't know. They assume if they aren't swimming and just being ankle deep or more, they are still okay. Bad things happen all the time in very shallow water (happened to me. I was stung by lots of jelly fish when we visited biloxi).. especially at night. But its something that is not usually the first thought that comes to mind, unless you know.

The first year we were there, I actually did something very stupid. I felt like I was a million months pregnant, we were staying at CB and I walked across a path from the room to the car, where I couldn't see my feet. STUPID. I don't think it was too long after that, when I heard about a boy who had gotten bitten by a poisonous snake at WDW property because he picked up a TOY that fell *near* a bush. (she was on Dis and there was a post about it).

I knew that it was a possibility. I knew that it was Florida.. but I was SO into the disney bubble, I wasn't thinking. Never again. Now we are always super vigilant. :(

I cannot even comprehend such a horrific tragedy. I have seen the signs on the beaches, and we always see children playing in the water at the Poly, but I've often wondered why they don't have a lifeguard, or someone stationed at the beach to prevent anyone from going into the water. As others have pointed out, many people tend to ignore signs. When people are on vacation they tend to let their guard down. At SOG resort across from the Poly they do not have a beach, but many bodies of water, and they do have a sign indicating there are gators. We've even seen a gator upclose in the courtyard pond, and they had to remove it. Regardless of how this tragedy occurred, I pray for the parents who will carry this sorrow with them for the rest of their lives.
I saw this thread last night, and I was so overcome I could not even respond. May God bless that poor little soul who suffered so horribly.

You do realize that on land or water there are deadly animals in FL. Just because you are in the "protective bubble of nothing happens in Disney" doesn't mean wild life give a crap. There are poisonous snakes all over (they are constantly in our yards and yes I still let my kids play outside), there are gators, there are sharks. Be aware of your surroundings. Disney CANNOT control what is in the lakes. FL FWC won't do anything until the animal becomes a nuisance.

MOST animals want to stay away, so being on the beach isn't a big deal. My best guess is this child was playing on the waters edge and the alligator thought it was some sort of distressed animal and it would get an easy meal.

Florida also has bears in the Disney area and even some caterpillars or ants could make people sick in Florida, too. Fresh water also has amoeba that is deadly when the temps are high and people stir up the bottom. Just like in the North you have to be aware of what is around you. You don't fish on a creek or river bank in Illinois without keeping an eye out for water moccasins. It is heart breaking to hear about a child being taken by one, but you have to wonder if that gator has been fed by some tourists to make it not fear the noise of the activity, people and sound from the fireworks and movie going on. Usually they avoid anywhere where boats and people are.

It is certainly beyond tragic and sad. I always assumed there were alligators in the water, it's a large body of water and it is Florida. I too saw smaller alligators in the water in Frontierland last Nov, I was actually surprised to see them in the park though.

Since people seem to think wading & splashing are okay in "no swimming" areas, it should be known that Naegleria fowleri (brain eating amoeba) is the biggest danger in Florida waters, including Seven Seas Lagoon.

It is the actual reason for the closure of River Country, and why you cannot swim in those waters. And, yes, something as simple as splashing water into someone's nose is enough to infect them with the amoeba.

No swimming means stay out. Not, "don't swim, but maybe you can dangle in your feet, or make up your own interpretation of our rules."
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/index.html

One year we were staying at the Poly, we were at the pool and a little boy and girl, about ages 8 or 9, were playing in the water, running in and out of the water with buckets, playing in the sand-something kids would do on any beach anywhere. The parents were sitting at a table next to ours enjoying a drink and their day at WDW. I knew that it was none of my business, but I had to make a comment to the mom. I very politely told her about the amoeba thing and that gators were common and could be in the water, half expecting her to tell me to mind my own business. She looked shocked and sent her husband after the kids immediately. She did not know about or think about either of those things. She did see the no swimming signs but since her kids weren't in the water to swim, just grabbing water to build sandcastles, she did not think they were in any danger nor doing anything wrong. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

The signs need to be more clear, while no means no to some people, others will read and do what they want. Just a sign that says no swimming with a picture of a gator would be enough for most folks I would think.

My thoughts and prayers go to this family, such a tragedy :(
I didn't know about the amoeba bacteria until just now reading this thread. I've been going to WDW for years. Never once did I read anything from Disney regarding this nor has anyone said anything to us when we checked into our resort.

I didn't know about the amoeba bacteria until just now reading this thread. I've been going to WDW for years. Never once did I read anything from Disney regarding this nor has anyone said anything to us when we checked into our resort.

Probably because you are an adult and would follow a sign that says "no swimming" so it would not be an issue to even bring up.

I only knew about it due to my own research on why River Country was closed, I'm not sure if there are any signs or warnings in any literature you would be given at check in.

Gators need Splash Mountain? Where?

This is such an awful tragedy. I don't know what can be done but the beaches should be a thing of the past.
just on other side of bridge by the food cart. Where that walk way path is. It's in the water that goes to Tom Sawyer Island. People use to feed it. I think there's a sign now not to feed. No one should ever feed a gator. That's when they start to view us as food

This is so sad, the poor parents! It does help to remember that this is a really, really rare occurrence. People and alligators co exist all over the waterways of Florida and attacks are rare and fatalities are even rarer. Alligators are naturally afraid of people, and generally tend to stay away, which is why there are so few attacks. The best thing you can do if you ever see an alligator is to stay clear, don't interact with it, don't, DON'T feed it, and don't touch it, even babies. It is when alligators loose their fear of humans that they become dangerous.

Just awful news! I am so heartbroken for my brothers and sisters in Orlando. Just terrible, terrible events as of late.

Just wondering, has anyone stayed at real beachfront property and been given a flyer saying sealife in ocean ie: jellyfish & sharks upon check in? Why would Disney give you a flyer on their wildlife? I don't mean to sound sarcastic so please don't take it that way. I have never heard of a resort doing this, which is why I am asking. Just because you didn't "think" or "realize" thst there is wildlife in surrounding areas is not Disney's fault. Just as it's not a resorts responsibility to inform you of sealife when staying at ocean front property.

Such a tragedy. We stay at Shades of Green which is directly across from the Polynesian.. We have seen many alligators there. There are 3 in the pond in the middle of the 2 wings of the hotel that live there. There are signs everywhere over there, as well as the path leading from the Poly to Shades that warns you of them as well as other wildlife. I am surprised that the GF does not have them as it is so close. On one of our trips to Shades, we walked the path to the Poly and there was a rather large alligator sunning itself on the golf course grass..

It's not just something present at Disney, it's throughout the South in warm, shallow waters. Don't know if I can post a link on here, but I remember Buzzfeed had a particularly good article about a young girl who got sick at a water park in Alabama a few years back. She is one of very few people to survive this type of microorganism.

this is mostly common sense for Florida, but I have also learned today, not known by many.

this would be like the UK putting up cow/bear warning signs in the British countryside as in Freak 1:1,000,000 cases you might be attacked by a charging cow or bear..

This was a Freak accident.

I didnt know we had bears in the uk.

This is so sad, the poor parents! It does help to remember that this is a really, really rare occurrence. People and alligators co exist all over the waterways of Florida and attacks are rare and fatalities are even rarer. Alligators are naturally afraid of people, and generally tend to stay away, which is why there are so few attacks. The best thing you can do if you ever see an alligator is to stay clear, don't interact with it, don't, DON'T feed it, and don't touch it, even babies. It is when alligators loose their fear of humans that they become dangerous.
yes..which leads me to believe that at some point guests have feed that gator, or it never would have been that close to shore...so sad that others actions resulted in someone elses tragedy

Such a tragedy for the family. I stayed at a resort in South Carolina with many lagoons, all with signs saying "Warning, alligators in the water. Do not feed the alligators". Our room had a balcony overlooking one of the lagoons. 2 mornings in a row, at least 2 sets of parents with toddlers were by the lagoon, throwing food into the lagoon, to feed the alligators. It was crazy to think they would do that, when the signs were very clear.

I'm from Chicago and never knew about the threat of gators.

If I saw a "no swimming" sign I would think it was because there was no lifeguard. If it's common knowledge among Floridians that there are gators in the waters then that should be posted on a sign.

A few years ago my kids were walking about ankle deep in the water outside the Beach Club at night. I never considered alligators being in the water.

To imply the parents from NEBRASKA should have known better is just awful.

I agree. Up here in the Northeast, a "No Swimming" sign by a lake means that it is either an unguarded lake and/or for some other reason is dangerous (shallow, grassy, rocky, etc) It does mean Stay Out. But the reasons would not be wildlife-related. This couple from Nebraska was possibly operating under the same assumption.

Uhm... Is this common knowledge?
I consider myself pretty Disney Educated but would've bet money on the fact that there are no gators in the Seven Seas Lagoon...
Yes, I am aware it's Floriday, yes, I am aware Disneybis mainly build on swamp land but I am also aware that it is a man made lagoon.. So...

I just wouldn't expect gators on Property (especially not around the GF or other resorts)...

Wow... How absolutely heartbreaking :/ I would've never expected this to be a possibility... And I am overly cautious and won't even let my kids play alone in the backyard (they are 5 and 7) for the fear of them getting hurt or whatever...

We have been going to Disney World for over thirty years, and it is not uncommon to see gators in any of the water areas around all the resorts, or even in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter