Heart rate while running?

amy-momofthree

DIS Veteran
I've been running for awhile, but more seriously in the last year. I just bought a HRM and it automatically set my zone heart rate from 130-155. This seems too low to me? When I run, I am usually in the 160's and I'm not out of breath and can still talk. What do you go by when monitoring your heart rate?

I'm considering a heart rate monitor. Right now I follow these practices:

1. On a long run over 4-5 miles run at a speed that makes your legs feel like jello and like they're going to fall off when you're done.

2. On short distances especially racing 5ks run so your heart is in your throat and your breakfast on the ground. If you dont hurl you didnt run fast enough.

PS this is half way a joke, although I almost did puke today on my run thats how I knew I was doing it right, the bad part was I was doing it right halfway in not at the end :/

I have always heard that you should still be able to carry on a conversation when you run. You may have to pause in speaking to take a deep breath, but you should be able to speak. If you are going too fast, that will seriously limit your endurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter