Heart Disease and Heat

AnnaS

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I don't usually stop by here too often. This is all new to us. My dh recently suffered two heart attacks and just had quadruple bypass. He unfortunately has too much heart damage (low ef, leaky valve, dead tissue and some other medical terms) from the attacks and cannot go back to work. He has numerous doctors now and three of them have told him that he cannot be out for too long when it's extremely warm/hot or extremely cold/freezing out among other things. One of his doctors actually suggested he also should think about getting a handicap tag for his car for when he has to walk far when experiencing hot/freezing weather.

We normally go to WDW during the summer months - so I am assuming this is out now for him?

Again, this is all new to us. I have been searching the web and have read heat can be fatal.

Anyone have any experience/feedback on heart condition w/heat - who wants to wait to find out what happens........

I would also like to add it's tough trying to remember he has many physical limitations when he looks fine (sometimes - other times he looks like a ghost).

Thanks everyone.

I certainly hope that DW isn't out for your family . . .
Last summer (July and hot, hot, hot!!!) we took our son, 4 years old with a pacemaker in a stroller, to DW. NOT something we would have even considered had it not been for the heart condition!!! We also had a 5 year old, and he was expected to walk and had no trouble doing so. We had "heart kid" in a stroller (that would translate to a wheelchair for your hubby). We did mornings 'til 11 or so, went back to room for lunch/nap, relaxed/swam in afternoon, had dinner/returned to parks 4:30-5ish. Was it tough for him? Yes, he tires sooner than others! He could faint/go into cardiac arrest in a line! 5 out of 7 days he fell asleep in the canopied stroller by 11:30 before we could make it back to the room. But could we do it? Absolutely, with an understanding that we "move at our own pace". Some tips? Use a wheelchair! (or stroller/EVC as appropriate for others reading this post.) Get fastpasses and/or GAC as needed.
Our son had the time of his life, in spite of having to use the "baby stroller" as he grumpily called it (but he didn't seem to mind so much when he was sound asleep/and/or exhausted and we were schlepping him back to the resort!!!) I hate to think of it, but it may be the only time he has at the happiest place on earth (only time will tell . . .)
Go! Enjoy!!! Good luck!!!!!

Hi
First of all, I'm glad your DH has gotten through so much, and am sorry for all the difficulties he is facing.
In regards to WDW, I would suggest that a w/c or ECV would be a must. There is no way that he could walk 3-8 mi./day, and it's not even close to worth it to try. If he doesn't own a scooter by the time you come, there are many rental agencies who could deliver to your hotel and pick up from there. There's a sticky about them. Second, you would need to be in contact w/ his Cardiologist for specific recommendations for him. Personally(my Mom and Dad both have serious heart conditions) I would suggest Oct,Nov,early Dec, and January. Many times during that period are low crowd levels, which would be better for him anyway, and the weather is much better. If you must go in warmer months, I would recommend touring in the morning until lunchtime, and then going back to your hotel until evening. It would probably be adventageous to stay on property, particularly a monorail resort for ease of travel back and forth. This strategy would keep him resting in A/C during the highest part of the day. Also, I would utilize a program like TGM to minimize wait times, and allow plenty of time in a/c to rest. Even a lot of the attractions, esp. indoor shows like Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents, etc. are great for this. Again, ask his Cardiologist for what is most adviseable for him. Regardless of what you choose, I'm sure that you can find a way to enjoy Disney as a family in a way that can be safe for him. :goodvibes
Nicole

Sorry to hear about your reason for visiting this board:hug:

I started writing a post a long time ago, but our puppy suddenly got a wild streak and was chasing our cat.
By the time I got back, there were 2 other posts that gave very good advice and covered most of the things I was going to say.
The rental information that was mentioned is in the disABILITIES FAQs thread sticky near the top of this board. There is also information in that thread about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) and a lot of hints/links that will help with touring with an ECV.

Thank you all for the great advice. He loves coming with us -

Will ask more specific questions with his cardioligist.

Will look into the GAC to be used for staying out of the sun (when lines are long and outside) or when steps are involved. He never went on a roller coaster - did like ToT though, splash mountain and thunder mountain. He will definitely not be going on any rides now that warn people w/heart problems. Knowing my dh, he will probably be afraid of certain rides even if there is no sign warning of people w/heart/back problems, etc.

First aid or other inside rides/shows is a great idea to take a break for a/c. We usually take a break during the day and head back to resort for relaxing and pool time.

Will definitely rent an EVC. I guess it would not hurt to bring a doctors note just in case when the times comes - even though I read on top that you do not need to present one.

Thank you again everyone.

My DH sufferes from heart & lung disease.He takes 1drugs and uses oxygen at night. I have noticed over the last few years that heat & humidity really take a toll on him. It saps his stamina, which isn't great to start with. Like your hubby, my DH looks fine most of the time. No one could just look at him and know he was so disabled. He has to use an ECV or we simply could not go to WDW. Even so, DH hates it. He sometimes feels like maybe he's faking it, that is, until he walks a few yards and starts wheezing and feeling exhausted.

We have elected to not go to WDW in the summer. We have family on the FL gulf coast and we do go see them in the summer. But we take our camper which has a great A/C, so DH can retreat to the camper when he's fatigued. He can be up for about 2-3 hours, then he has to take a nap. DH is up to 3 naps a day now. When we go to WDW, even in the winter, we have to stay on site and make time for him to go back to the room for 2hrs of rest. It's life in the slow lane, but we still love Disney World.

Will definitely rent an EVC. I guess it would not hurt to bring a doctors note just in case when the times comes - even though I read on top that you do not need to present one.

Thank you again everyone.
According to the ADA, they can't require/ask for a note or any proof from a doctor. Most attractions do have shaded and/or inside lines.
This is list of rides with warnings
You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

Again thank you so much Sue and everyone -

I am surprised to see Indy Speedway - I did not think it was an intense/fast ride.

(Minkydog - my dh sleeps a lot also or needs to take a nap after being up a few hours wether or not he does anything).

Again thank you so much Sue and everyone -

I am surprised to see Indy Speedway - I did not think it was an intense/fast ride.

(Minkydog - my dh sleeps a lot also or needs to take a nap after being up a few hours wether or not he does anything).
At Disneyland I was stopped a bit behind a car. A person drove full speed into my car which sent me into the rear of the first car. My foot was hovering over the gas pedal as I was waiting to move forward. The ramming caused me to step on the gas and thus not only was hurled forward by being rear-ended but by my foot on the gas. The person then continued to keep their foot on the gas while I was screaming for them to stop. CMs could not or would not do anything despite my screams for the person to stop. The person never let off the gas and then when I moved forward was rammed again.

It is a high risk ride and people get hurt from people who drive into the back of other cars and then keep ramming them. 5 mph is not fast but still I would not want to drive my car at that speed into a wall let alone a car full of kids. I have a disntigrating disc and the ramming was so bad that I had worse back pain that indiana jones ever did. The only way I will ride the cars again is if I have someone, preferably 5 to 10 people, behind me who will act as a buffer and prevent me from being rammed. And yes you can take toddlers on a this dangerous ride. Not dangerous unless you happen to get rear ended by rude people who do not know how to operate the vehicle or are getting their jollies by using the vehcle like a bumper car.

i am west coast but trust me the same thing happens on the east coast.

Anna- I'm so sorry to hear your husband has these new limitations and know firsthand how difficult this is. The first advice I would give you is to have a talk with his cardiologist about your vacation. Knowing how someone else tolerated the heat may not be the same for your husband, esp. since his Dr. has given him a warning. I know of folks with MS who have heat tolerance issues who have been able to get their health insurance to purchase a cooling vest so something like this might help if it doesn't cause excessive weight and thus a bigger strain to wear it. Other than that an ECV would be something he'd need plus going at a slower pace and resting ( as has already been mentioned). Having a GAC to stay out of the sun may not be helpful as it doesn't always remove someone from the heat. Being in a shaded area in the Fla sun is still like baking in an oven. Is there a chance you could travel at cooler times or is the summer the only option?---Kathy

At Disneyland I was stopped a bit behind a car. A person drove full speed into my car which sent me into the rear of the first car. My foot was hovering over the gas pedal as I was waiting to move forward. The ramming caused me to step on the gas and thus not only was hurled forward by being rear-ended but by my foot on the gas. The person then continued to keep their foot on the gas while I was screaming for them to stop. CMs could not or would not do anything despite my screams for the person to stop. The person never let off the gas and then when I moved forward was rammed again.

It is a high risk ride and people get hurt from people who drive into the back of other cars and then keep ramming them. 5 mph is not fast but still I would not want to drive my car at that speed into a wall let alone a car full of kids. I have a disntigrating disc and the ramming was so bad that I had worse back pain that indiana jones ever did. The only way I will ride the cars again is if I have someone, preferably 5 to 10 people, behind me who will act as a buffer and prevent me from being rammed. And yes you can take toddlers on a this dangerous ride. Not dangerous unless you happen to get rear ended by rude people who do not know how to operate the vehicle or are getting their jollies by using the vehcle like a bumper car.

i am west coast but trust me the same thing happens on the east coast.

You area absolutely right - I never thought of that. That is what is so great about coming here and sharing ideas, different points of view, experiences, etc.

Anna- I'm so sorry to hear your husband has these new limitations and know firsthand how difficult this is. The first advice I would give you is to have a talk with his cardiologist about your vacation. Knowing how someone else tolerated the heat may not be the same for your husband, esp. since his Dr. has given him a warning. I know of folks with MS who have heat tolerance issues who have been able to get their health insurance to purchase a cooling vest so something like this might help if it doesn't cause excessive weight and thus a bigger strain to wear it. Other than that an ECV would be something he'd need plus going at a slower pace and resting ( as has already been mentioned). Having a GAC to stay out of the sun may not be helpful as it doesn't always remove someone from the heat. Being in a shaded area in the Fla sun is still like baking in an oven. Is there a chance you could travel at cooler times or is the summer the only option?---Kathy

Thank you Kathy.

We have our 2 BDR (DVC) booked for this August but it's supposed to be for my daughter and 2/3 friends for her "16"th birthday. this is all up in the air right now since we are still waiting for other financial matters to get worked out (SSD and then once this is done his disability from work). If we don't get it by then, we will go ourselves as a family (drive down and have tickets) and will see how it works out for dh with the heat or another time.

Since he will not be able to return to work, will definitely have the opportunity to go during the cooler months and I can always take a short trip w/my daughter when she is off from school.

Great advice here.

Hi,
So sorry to hear about your DH. I too had a Quad Bypass a couple of years ago. It's funny, but I couldn't tolerate the heat before my bypass, now it's the cold that does me in. Never satisfied :rotfl2: You have got some good suggestions on ways for him to conserve energy. Another suggestion I have is to find a cooling vest. I used one the last time I was there and I stayed so much cooler. There are all types, but you will probably want one that you put in water and can reapply water throughout the day. You would be amazed by how much this helps! Have a great trip!:dance3:

Hi,
So sorry to hear about your DH. I too had a Quad Bypass a couple of years ago. It's funny, but I couldn't tolerate the heat before my bypass, now it's the cold that does me in. Never satisfied :rotfl2: You have got some good suggestions on ways for him to conserve energy. Another suggestion I have is to find a cooling vest. I used one the last time I was there and I stayed so much cooler. There are all types, but you will probably want one that you put in water and can reapply water throughout the day. You would be amazed by how much this helps! Have a great trip!:dance3:

Yes, freezing/cold/windy bothers him also. He is also always cold in the house. He is all bundled up and we argue over the heat in the car and in the house. I have been told it's from the medications. Coumdadin and Plavix. He has many other side effects - not sure if it's from the heart not pumping properly (low ef) and/or medication. Another side effect that bothers me is that he forgets/does not remember a lot of things now - sometimes I want to cry.

Thanks for the cooling vest idea - where does one purchase one of these just in case?

Yes, freezing/cold/windy bothers him also. He is also always cold in the house. He is all bundled up and we argue over the heat in the car and in the house. I have been told it's from the medications. Coumdadin and Plavix. He has many other side effects - not sure if it's from the heart not pumping properly (low ef) and/or medication. Another side effect that bothers me is that he forgets/does not remember a lot of things now - sometimes I want to cry.

I can so identify with you. My DH is cold all the time. He wears two shirts in the house all the time and wears his leather jacket outdoors if the temp is less than 74. I'm about to die of a heat stroke. Of course, the fact that I'm in menopause doesn't help the situation :goodvibes

But the worst thing is the personality changes DH has undergone. It *is* heartbreaking. He is not the man he once was. :sad1: This is a man who used to eat corporate attorneys for breakfast. Now he can't even hold his own with our 21yo son without losing his cool. Bringing laundry up from the basement brings on a 20minute rest period. Don't even send him to the store without a list--no telling what he'll get. He often cooks dinner, but gets so into making the entree that he forgets to fix anything else. Or he fixes something in the microwave, then forgets its in there. I thought maybe he had early Alzhiemers, but his doctor reassured us that it's just the medicines and of course, his lung disease. :mad: I hate this illness. But I love my DH dearly:lovestruc and I can hang in there as long as he can.

Thanks for the cooling vest idea - where does one purchase one of these just in case?
If you google "cooling vest" you will find a lot of different places.
Here's one company called Arctic Heat.I have not seen one, but this looks like a nice one because it can be cooled in a few minutes and can also be heated to keep you warm in the winter.
A lot of people with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) use cooling vests, so you might be able to find some recommendations by looking on MS forums or websites.

Minkydog - you just described what goes on around here.

Thank you Sue - just added the website to my favorites.

Anna- please let me know if there's anything personally I can do to help you and your family. For those who don't know "us", Anna and I are both DVC members from way back. Anna has helped me personally with my own disability and financial issues -sending comfort and loving care to me and my family. My heart breaks personally to know she's going through this trying issue with her husband family. We really are all "one family" here on earth and need to do whatever we can to support each other. Sometimes having a vacation and spending time enjoying things with loved ones is the glue that holds us together. ---Kathy

Anna- please let me know if there's anything personally I can do to help you and your family. For those who don't know "us", Anna and I are both DVC members from way back. Anna has helped me personally with my own disability and financial issues -sending comfort and loving care to me and my family. My heart breaks personally to know she's going through this trying issue with her husband family. We really are all "one family" here on earth and need to do whatever we can to support each other. Sometimes having a vacation and spending time enjoying things with loved ones is the glue that holds us together. ---Kathy

Thank you Kathy so much. You are too sweet and kind. You brought tears to my ears.

Will send you an email soon w/updates.

Thanks Anna...and don't forget I live nearby and would do ANYTHING for you to help make this trip a better one. Please do email me and keep me updated. With Pat's issues with Bridget, mine, yours and the many people I read about here on this board who have touched my heart I have the prayers going as fast as I can.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter