Heart Attack on a plate at Cafe Orleans

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
http://allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_cr.htm

Three-Cheese Monte Cristo - Swiss, mozzarella and double creme Brie in a light batter, fried and served with berry puree $14.99

Ugh! Is DL trying to kill guests with this massive amount of fat? The regular Monte Cristo is bad enough, but this takes it to a whole 'nother level.

I've noticed a number of very high fat/high carb/high calorie choices at resturants. I think it's the Carnation Cafe that offers a chicken pot pie with a side of potato or pasta salad! Where are the healthy, low fat/low carb/low calorie options?

***edited to change the subject line

Thread title was a little misleading: I thought I was going to read news about a guest actually having a heart attack :confused:

I didn't think it was misleading, the post was about exactly what I thought it was going to be about.

I think the all cheese monte cristo sounds super yummy, even if it does classify as a "heart attack on a plate."

Iggipolka said:
http://allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_cr.htm

Three-Cheese Monte Cristo - Swiss, mozzarella and double creme Brie in a light batter, fried and served with berry puree $14.99....

I've noticed a number of very high fat/high carb/high calorie choices at resturants. I think it's the Carnation Cafe that offers a chicken pot pie with a side of potato or pasta salad!

Yum! It all sounds good to me. I figure that I am on vacation and I can live little and splurge on the "bad" stuff.

stagemomx3 said:
I didn't think it was misleading, the post was about exactly what I thought it was going to be about.

I think the all cheese monte cristo sounds super yummy, even if it does classify as a "heart attack on a plate."
I guess the thread title was changed. It used to read "Heart Attack at Cafe Orleans." Either that, or I'm imagining things :)

Ah, just saw the OPs post and it said the thread title was changed.

it's maybe a heart attack on a plate, but it's not the only thing they offer, and they don't force you to eat it. I eat healthy all year long, and when I am at DL, I don't mind eating lots of calories, fat or carbs. As a matter of fact, I never understood the whole low-carb thing. It is something I have never ever watched, don't even know in what kind of foods you find it :)

I find it very hard to eat healthy while at DL. The salads are tasteless and boring. Everything else comes with a lot of carbs and fat. I have about given up. We tend to bring protien snacks (cheese, nuts, protien bars, yogurt etc.) with us and then eat a DTD for a better meal sort of between lunch and dinner. That way we can get more veggies, better salads, and tasteful meat.

However - I am not opposed to splurging once in awhile either - like having dessert when eating at the BB (passing on the bread and starches). And I have been know to eat iceream.

However when we do treat ouselves to a character meal - I do go all out - you might even see me eat potatos AND bacon for breakfast! popcorn::

My DH is on a very low-fat diet for medical reasons, and when I saw the new Blue Bayou menu, especially the Monte Cristo, I thought exactly the same thing, "Geez, that's a heart attack on a plate!" Way too much cheese and fried besides for me, not appealing at all. But one of my best friends loves cheese, so it's probably pretty tantalizing to her. :crazy:

I talked with the DL head chef about low fat items, and he rattled off several, as well as encouraging us to speak with the restaurant chef when we dine, for either help selecting menu items or having something specially prepared.

It sounds like they are VERY accomodating, so I'm not as worried about food options as I was when we first booked.

I agree with Iggypolka on the Monte Cristo - I've always heard people go on about that sandwich, but I personally could never eat something that rich and not get sick. I do wish there were more tasty and healthy offerings at Disneyland, not that I'm opposed to indulging on junk food but more because after day 3 or 4 I just can't face another burger and fries. We usually leave the park and eat a late lunch in DTD too, there is a lot more variety and better quality of food there. Nice to take a break from the park too.

count me in as another who could never stomach a Monte Christo! And, not only is it fried fat.....but you dip it in jam!
BB used to have a great spinach salad with delicious candied pecans and a little gorgonzola.....and a nice basalmic,that was heaven!

I personally am happy they are doing that...my daughter doesnt eat meat and almost all of the sit down restaurants have things she wont touch so this is something that she can eat and I can go to the restaurant and eat what I want...she wont eat it all though I know that for sure :rolleyes:

While that may be unhealthy I love Montes and have no problem staying in shape eating whatever I want. Having said that, some arent as active or lucky and dont want to eat it, there are alternatives.

Carbs are not all bad and you can go grab some pasta from the pizza place in tommorowland, I think they sell salads there too. If you're even mildly active being on a no carb diet is totally unnecesary.

They sell what people want and what people pay for, simple as that. If they took the Monte off they'd get some letters, at least one :P :thumbsup2

Add me to the list who does not watch what I eat while on vacation. I've also never bought in to the whole "no or low carb" fad. But even if I did I've noticed healthy options both inside DL, DTD or places in the area. Just gotta look!

While I think it's good to have options available that are on the healthy side, there is no way I'd be happy to see the "goodies" go at vacation spots! Relaxing and enjoying myself includes good food! I can eat salads once I'm home!

I was at DL last week. There are some nice dining options at Downtown Disney.

Woody

I hate Disneyland food. The only place I will eat at is Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. Their food is salty but better than anywhere in Disneyland.

Don't eat at that chicken sandwich place near the Country Bear Jamboree (Critter Country) simply terrible.

minnietoo said:
The salads are tasteless and boring.

The salads are not tasteless and boring! The pizza salad at Red Rockets in tomorrow land is very good. It has pepperoni, feta, roasted tomatoes and s spicy dressing. They have some other choices that look good as well. Pacific warf cafe in DCA also has some great salads. They do come in a sourdough bread bowl, but that doesn't mean you have to eat the bread. I'm pretty sure they will put it in a regular bowl if you ask. They also have veg. chili- which would be full of protein and fiber- A nice healthy choice.

hlbtimes2 said:
The salads are not tasteless and boring! The pizza salad at Red Rockets in tomorrow land is very good. It has pepperoni, feta, roasted tomatoes and s spicy dressing. They have some other choices that look good as well. Pacific warf cafe in DCA also has some great salads. They do come in a sourdough bread bowl, but that doesn't mean you have to eat the bread. I'm pretty sure they will put it in a regular bowl if you ask. They also have veg. chili- which would be full of protein and fiber- A nice healthy choice.

That's why its so much fun on boards like this - we all have different thoughts, ideas, and opinions. I don't think pepperoni or white bread are healthy - and don't eat them. I haven't tried the veg chili - but it sounds like it would be full of carbs (instead of protien). When you are eating high protien and low carbs - it is harder to eat in the park. Again - this is my problem and may not be a problem for others :hippie:

I never said peperoni and white bread were healthy. I said the salads werent boring and tasteless. BIG difference. I also said they had other salads.

When my boyfriend and I eat at Blue Bayou or Ariel's, we usually skip out on the bread and just wait for our meal. I can't finish my meal if I eat their bread. I usually skip out on dessert or just eat half of it. I just can't finish it all. :faint:

I don't fancy the salads at DL that much. My boyfriend and I had a really bitter garden salad at French Market and once at Pinocchio's. I'm not sure if they changed the type of lettuce, but whatever it was, it was really really bitter (the dressing didn't help much). I also tried a salad at the bakery in DTD and didn't taste good at all. The lettuce was bitter and they dumped a ton of salt on it for some reason. I asked our server if it was supposed to have that much salt and they said: "Yes." :confused3 I've only eaten there once. If anyone has any recommendations on other places that have good salads, please let me know. :)

minnietoo said:
That's why its so much fun on boards like this - we all have different thoughts, ideas, and opinions. I don't think pepperoni or white bread are healthy - and don't eat them. I haven't tried the veg chili - but it sounds like it would be full of carbs (instead of protien). When you are eating high protien and low carbs - it is harder to eat in the park. Again - this is my problem and may not be a problem for others :hippie:

actually vegetarian chili is full of protein (and fiber) based on the combining of amino acids in the ingredients. Many things provide amino acids (the buliding blocks of protein) besides animal and dairy products.

I agree with all of the posters that vacations is the time to loosen up and have fun.....even with food choices :) for me personally, it just isn't fun to indulge in high fat foods as i don't feel well afterwards.(with a possible exception of warm Krispie Kreams;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter