• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hearing loss with spouse only?

This.

I do tune out my family. But I have had times where I needed to raise the volume on TV or radio to understand.

Per my husbands request, I had my hearing checked. I don't have hearing loss, yet. But I'm close. And they measured the decibels of my tinnitus thriving trial and error of finding tones to match what I hear when my ears are ringing. I forget the number, but it was pretty loud. In any case--I think that I hyper focus on sounds to distract from the ringing and tune my family out as a result.

But usually hearing loss isn't just one person you cannot hear.

But for me--I have had to have people repeat and sometimes repeat while I read their lips and when that doesn't work--I have them spell the word. And these aren't necessarily people with speech impediments. I have just lost the ability to make out certain sound combinations in words and so to me it sounds garbled. But then once I know what they are saying--it doesn't. Fun times.

Just about everything you mentioned above indicates that you are suffering from hearing loss. You should go to a competent audiologist for a hearing exam. One of the first signs of hearing loss is inching the volume of the TV up.

Anyone with hearing loss or relatives of, should join Hearing Loss Association of America. It is an advocacy group and it provides all types of information that is helpful in dealing with hearing loss.

http://www.hearingloss.org/

I'm hearing impaired and wear hearing aids (Nu Ear, RIC), and I'm 37. Hearing loss runs in my family, but I was about 15 years ahead of anyone else in my family due to multiple ear infections (scar tissue), ruptured eardrums, and needing tubes as a child.

I agree with previous posters: Get a hearing evaluation. My GP referred me to an Audiologist who ran lots of tests. The hearing test can show which tones you're having issues with, which may also be the tone of your spouse's voice. :rotfl: Getting hearing aids was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's changed my life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter