Hearing Aids

I worn hearing aids since i was 4 years old. (I am now 45)

As most posters above stated...see an audiologist. They can determine how much hearing you have/loss and will determine the best hearing aids for you.

There are many many kinds of hearing aids and depending the severity of your hearing loss to get the best kind of hearing aids. Because i have the severe to profound hearing loss, i wear the 'behind the ear' aids. There are "in the ear" aids available for those who have less hearing loss. Hearing aids has came a long way from when i was a little girl who used to wear "Body Aids" hearing aids which the instruments was worn on my chest with wire hanging down from my ears...UGH!! and then when i was 8, i got the behind the ears which was more discretly hidden.

This is the kind i currently have now. http://www.oticonusa.com/Oticon/Consumers/Products/Mature/SumoDM.html

The aids comes in all different colors. I also use my ipod which i can connect to the ipod directly into my aids instead of using those ear plugs and be able to listen to music!! Love it!!!

I wish you all the best and remember, to give it time to get used to the aids...give about 30 days to see if you like it and if not, you should be able to exchange for another one for another try. Different hearing aids works for different people.. Best wishes!!

I know many are recommending to see and audiologist but Costco also has a hearing aid dispenser, however most are run by a hearing aid dispenser. You can however take your test from the audiologist in and buy at Costco. They carry ReSound and Bernafon hearing aids at a fraction of the price. The costco dispenser can tell you what models to look up to see how they compare with the models that you would buy from an audiologist. Thier cheapest pair is $2000 plus tax and their most expansive pair is a little over $3000. The set that is about $3000 sells else where for $6000.
One thing I can tell you is to make sure you find out how long you have to return them in case you don't like them. Different people like in the ear or behind the ear better and in the state of IL you have I think 30 days to return if they don't fit your style.
Good Luck!!

I know many are recommending to see and audiologist but Costco also has a hearing aid dispenser, however most are run by a hearing aid dispenser. You can however take your test from the audiologist in and buy at Costco. They carry ReSound and Bernafon hearing aids at a fraction of the price. The costco dispenser can tell you what models to look up to see how they compare with the models that you would buy from an audiologist. Thier cheapest pair is $2000 plus tax and their most expansive pair is a little over $3000. The set that is about $3000 sells else where for $6000.
One thing I can tell you is to make sure you find out how long you have to return them in case you don't like them. Different people like in the ear or behind the ear better and in the state of IL you have I think 30 days to return if they don't fit your style.
Good Luck!!

Several members of my family are or were hearing aid wearers (my parents have passed away). Buying from a retail location like the above is not recommended. There needs to be several visits to have the hearing aids adjusted. It's not a once and done thing but a process, and the audiologist and your doctor need to be an integral part of this.

Good Luck!!

I don't know how other states are, but at the Costco in Waterbury, CT, there is an actual audiologist (who was happy to explain her education and experience to me). They have the soundproof booth and everything. There is a 90-day tryout period.

I got a Rexton Cobalt BTE for $1300 (one aid). I actually need to go get it adjusted, but have been putting it off-but they do do the adjusting there at Costco with the audiologist.

Check your 2012 insurance plan changes before you buy. I got mine in 2010 and in 2011, my insurance started covering $1000 per ear-which would have helped :)

My dad always goes to the local Beltone and I feel, does not get his needs met and spends three times as much as he should have to :sad2:

Here I am - six months after the last reply - because as the OP stated, Disboards usually has the answer! I hope my situation will bump this to the top and bring in some more input.

My mother lives in Florida, and I live in California, so it is tough to find the best solution for ANY problem she has had over the years. Her ENT sent her to the audiologist in his practice. Mom has "moderate to severe hearing loss, and is a good candidate for hearing aids." (My sister and I could have told her that four or five years ago.) The super-terrific pair that my mother tried out in the office cost $6990. I almost fainted when I heard that. Of course I said, "for crying out loud, go to Costco. It won't cost half that amount."

Well, that sounds like a good idea at the outset....but Costco is a 75 minute drive (although a much closer one should be opening in August, but even that will be at least 20 minutes away.) Mom doesn't drive, and she is intimidated by big new things (like warehouse clubs and memberships, etc.)

The audiologist is a very nice professional woman, in a quiet office - and my mother just loved her. If she needs adjustment, anyone can take her there easy-peasy, although it's not THAT much closer. She has the money for the aids, but it will make a SERIOUS dent in her savings. Still, you can't take it with you. If I buy an airplane ticket and take her myself, it will still be cheaper overall - but I worry about adjustments, who is doing the dispensing, etc.

She could get less expensive hearing aids with less effective noise canceling capabilities - but even that is thousands of dollars.

As it stands right now, my sister and I agree it will probably be worth spending the outrageous amount for the quality of life considerations.

Any thoughts or advice will be gladly received.

Maddle

The one way that I know of to legitimately save money when buying aids from an audiologist is to finance them via a Flexible Spending Account; that way, what you spend on them will be deducted from your taxable income. What that normally means is waiting to buy them until the first of the year, and having your physician tell you in advance how much they will be so that you can elect to put that amount in your FSA HeathCare savings account.

I'm not sure how it would work (or IF it would) since your mother does not reside with either of you, but if you regularly pay her extra medical expenses and have a power of attorney you might be able to swing it; I would check with your FSA manager about being able to deduct eligible medical expenses for a parent.

I am able to deduct the cost of my MIL's special diabetic nutrition supplements as she has a scrip for them, and we buy all of her groceries for her, but she is local.

BTW, one thing to watch out for when it comes to older ladies and hearing aids: many of them CANNOT handle the fine motor skill of properly putting in and taking out in-the-ear-canal aids, though their vanity usually means that those are the type they will want. MIL has had hers for two years now and never wears them because she cannot put them in or take them out by herself; her hands shake a bit. She won't let me do it for her, either, even though I have the same kind; she doesn't want other people (except for medical personnel) fiddling with her ears. TOTAL waste of $6K.

That is one of my big concerns - the dexterity required...she has a health aide that comes in once or twice a week - I am sure the aide could handle the battery requirement. Putting them in and out of the ear daily would have to be Mom's responsibility. I did mention that to the audiologist.

FSA is an excellent idea. I don't know if it would apply in my case, (we don't cover her expenses at this time) but it would be helpful for other readers of this thread.

Maddle

Here I am - six months after the last reply - because as the OP stated, Disboards usually has the answer! I hope my situation will bump this to the top and bring in some more input.

My mother lives in Florida, and I live in California, so it is tough to find the best solution for ANY problem she has had over the years. Her ENT sent her to the audiologist in his practice. Mom has "moderate to severe hearing loss, and is a good candidate for hearing aids." (My sister and I could have told her that four or five years ago.) The super-terrific pair that my mother tried out in the office cost $6990. I almost fainted when I heard that. Of course I said, "for crying out loud, go to Costco. It won't cost half that amount."

Well, that sounds like a good idea at the outset....but Costco is a 75 minute drive (although a much closer one should be opening in August, but even that will be at least 20 minutes away.) Mom doesn't drive, and she is intimidated by big new things (like warehouse clubs and memberships, etc.)

The audiologist is a very nice professional woman, in a quiet office - and my mother just loved her. If she needs adjustment, anyone can take her there easy-peasy, although it's not THAT much closer. She has the money for the aids, but it will make a SERIOUS dent in her savings. Still, you can't take it with you. If I buy an airplane ticket and take her myself, it will still be cheaper overall - but I worry about adjustments, who is doing the dispensing, etc.

She could get less expensive hearing aids with less effective noise canceling capabilities - but even that is thousands of dollars.

As it stands right now, my sister and I agree it will probably be worth spending the outrageous amount for the quality of life considerations.

Any thoughts or advice will be gladly received.

Maddle

Many times, the audiologist is only given top of the line hearing aids to demonstrate to patients. Did the one at the ENT provide less expesnive alternatives? If not, I would definitely go somewhere else. All hearing aid companies (like computer or cell phone companies) make top-of-the-line stuff with all the bells and whistles, and then a more moderate product that costs less, and then an economy product which is pretty basic, but should be more affordable. Usually the more expensive hearing aids are better for people who are in complicated listening environments (restaurants, meetings, etc.). If she's in mostly quiet places and needs it for one-on-one conversations, TV, and phone, then a more basic instrument should fit her needs. Its important to find an audiologist who understands these needs and can recommend a hearing aid to meet those needs, not just the most expensive. Hearing aids are a major life change and can take several weeks to adjust to. The more she wears them (all day every day) the better she'll do with them.

I want to quickly address the cost of hearing aids even though this post is a couple years old - someone may be reading back.

If you need a hearing aid to help you perform your job or obtain employment, contact your local state vocational rehabilitation office. The Rehabilitation Council has state-by-state listings for Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. www.parac.org/svrp.html

I work with VR in Michigan and it has helped many middle & upper-middle income individuals with and without medical coverage purchase hearing aids. It's a wonderful program (here in Michigan, at least).

It's nice to see something being given to the "working guy"

:teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter