"Healthy" foods at disney

gtjr92

Earning My Ears
I am planning on heading to disney Oct 19-27.
My wife is a healthier or pickier eater than me. Weight watchers etc.
From what I see most of the quick service restaurants don't have many foods like that. My wife glanced at some of the table service dining menus and didn't see much there either. Grilled Chicken and things like that is what she usually eats, but variety is good. We usually go to places like applebees, ocharleys etc and she finds decent options. Are there many healthier options besides the fruit stands etc, or would we be better to eat off site? I don't want to run all over the parks (especially with a 3 and 5 year old) looking for that one place that has the healthy foods.

Thanks

I think she will be able to find something at most places. I think there is a wrap or a salad on just about every menu. And when she wants something different, something a little greasier, the two of you could always split a meal and order an extra side salad to fill up on. DH and I do that all of the time. She can also request to have sauces or cheese left off or put on the side, making a burger a little less of a point splurge.

Remember at WDW, you'll be doing a lot of walking, so she will earn some extra points for treats. :)

The Wave is a great TS that has healthier options. They specialize in fresh, organic, and sustainable foods...but not necessarily low calorie--although you can ask for sauces on the side, sub steamed veggies as your side dish, etc.

The healthier/low-cal CS that comes to mind is Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. They have freshly made soups, salads, rotisserie chicken, and fish options. Many of the grab and go areas at the resort CS locations have yogurt and cut veggies and fruit.

I don't know what menus your looking at, but there is no lack of healthier meal options at WDW. You can easily go down for 10 days and not once eat a burger or something fried and at the same time not really repeat any meals. Does it take a little research, maybe depending on exactly how picky, but it can be done pretty easily. Even if your wife can't find anything right off the menu, most restaurants (CS or TS) are easy to work with to get something for her.

Pretty much every menu has a salad. I don't know if the OP's wife just doesn't like the salads that are included, or they're on the dining plan and can't get salads because appetizers aren't included. Many of the TS also have a grilled chicken option and if it's a sandwich she can eat the chicken but leave the bread. Also, ask for sauces and dressings on the side. Try buffets - they usually have extensive salad offerings and grilled or roasted meats.

I totally understand, Disney needs to be more accommodating to healthy diets.

Healthy options include:
The Wave-delicious avocado and citrus salad, veggie stew, grilled sandwich
Citricos-seared tofu with veggies
WP Cafe-spring rolls, tuscan veggie pasta
CHH-hummus and veggie sandwich, light chili
most CS-veggie burgers, request baked fries
Boma-array of salads, soups, light and flavorful dishes (i.e. couscous, grilled veggies)
:)

I really watch what I eat and although on vacation I will splurge some, I find that I ususally just go with fish. We rarely eat CS, but many all of the TS resturants have a fish dish that suits my needs just fine. When I do splurge I will split with someone or just have an appetizer.

You mention the fresh fruit stands, if you have such a snack before you actually sit down to eat, you will already be a bit full which will make you eat less. I have done this before as well

Enjoy your trip!

I can not eat anything fried or any dairy and eat healthy all the time at home. I have been to the world 8 times now and have never had a problem finding something healthy to eat at either a CS or a TS. TS are more accomodating and you can request certain things, like no cheese or sauce, etc. I usually start off with a salad with fat-free dressing or a light broth based soup.

My top choices in each park for healthy CS are:

MK- Columbia Harbour House. Lighthouse or Anchors Aweigh Sandwich- with no mayo. Also love their strawberry yogurt.
EP- Sunshine Seasons. So many wonderful choices here, it varies day to day. I also like Morrocco- wonderful kebabs and couscous.
AK- I tend to stick with Flame Tree and get the 1/2 roasted chicken with beans.
HS- This is the hardest one for me. Not a lot of good CS options to choose from in the first place and finding a good healthy one is difficult. My top choice is Starring Rolls Cafe. I usually get the Black Forest Ham sandwich with fresh fruit. The Studio Catering Company is not bad either- I like their Greek Salad.

If I get in the mood for something sweet, I try to stick with a Dole Whip- as it is non-dairy and fat free. Each park also carries a Strawberrt Fruit bar that is made with splenda and the frozen lemonade is pretty low cal and very tasty. Good luck and have a great vacation!

I can't really help with the CS, although you can check out the menus online beforehand to get an idea of what is at each place.
As for TS restaurants, you can always ask for a chicken or fish dish without the sauces to save on calories and usually can swap sides to a healthier option (if its available with another entree) at least in most TS places. Or just ask for something grilled, plain, etc to make it healthier.

I've been searching healthy options and there are so many at all of the disney parks and hotels. Grilled chicken or turkey, salads, fish, fresh fruits, vegetables. Just have to know what to replace, all of the CS you do not need to get fries you can get carrots sticks or apples. Also any restaurant you eat out side of disney also cook like restaurants....which means everything cooked in butter and salt! Any healthy option in Orlando you will be able to find in disney, just get salad dressings on the side ask for vegetables at TS not to be cooked in butter get fruit for snacks, get grilled instead of breaded, ask for no mayo. But the best thing to do is just go through the menus and see all the healthy options.

Thanks everyone, I had my wife read this thread and she is happy with what she has learned.
Now to read over all those menus again LOL :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter