• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Healthy food options in the parks?

Did the Earl of Sandwich give you their sodium information? Most of their offerings have a days worth, or more, of sodium, for someone watching their intake.

Did the Earl of Sandwich give you their sodium information? Most of their offerings have a days worth, or more, of sodium, for someone watching their intake.

Yes, that is why my parents only have a few choices there (but, they do have a few choices - yea!). I noticed that one of their sandwiches, the Original, has 3900 mg of sodium! Most other sanwiches are around 1500 mg (my parents' total daily allowance), but the Ham & Swiss is only supposed to have 300 mg of sodium and 80 mg of cholesterol (so, as long as they have a low-cholesterol breakfast, it should be ok).

What about cold pasta salads? She can use her brand of noodles and steam the veggies she adds to make them easier to chew in the salad. She could also make an egg-white quiche (crustless, if that's what she needs), as that should be pretty easy to microwave even in a weaker one.

Thanks, those are some good ideas.

What about Rancho del Zocalo? There are chicken soft tacos or a bean burrito.

I was wondering about those as well. They should be low fat/cholesterol (theoretically, but sometimes chicken items can be higher than beef - which just seems crazy to me), but I'm not sure about their sodium content.

I don't know, 300 mg sodium for a ham and cheese sandwich sounds impossibly low.

I would recheck that just to be sure.

My husband eats a low sodium diet. My sodium intake is not an issue, but I cover a lot of other food issues-- dairy free, meat free, gluten free, yeast free, and others! I know how difficult it is to eat away fom home!

Good luck!

That's what it says on the nutritional info PDF file they sent. Any suggestions on how to recheck?. Thanks!

I don't know, do they have a way to contact them through their website? If their ham and Swiss sandwich is really 300mg sodium, that is extremely good news! My husband would be thrilled.:cool1:

Most bread is going to be upwards of 50 mg per slice. And that is a slice of bread not a roll like they use.

Ham, even low sodium ham, in a quantity to make a sandwich is usually 400+ mg.

Swiss cheese, again, even if it is a low sodium variety, is usually 100+ mg per slice. They use more than a slice on their sandwich.

Plus any sauce or spread.

I am wondering how they could get all of that into a 300 mg sandwich.

It would be wonderful, if true.

And I don't think they would try to mislead anyone in the PDF. But human error, perhaps...

You might just want to double check before your dad eats one, just in case.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, I just know that I like to double check things that seem too good to be true!

Okay, the excitement is building at my house!

I told my husband of your findings, and he is going to call and double check because he is seeing a ham and Swiss sandwich in his future when we head to Disneyland on Thursday!

pixiedust:

I don't know, do they have a way to contact them through their website? If their ham and Swiss sandwich is really 300mg sodium, that is extremely good news! My husband would be thrilled.:cool1:

Most bread is going to be upwards of 50 mg per slice. And that is a slice of bread not a roll like they use.

Ham, even low sodium ham, in a quantity to make a sandwich is usually 400+ mg.

Swiss cheese, again, even if it is a low sodium variety, is usually 100+ mg per slice. They use more than a slice on their sandwich.

Plus any sauce or spread.

I am wondering how they could get all of that into a 300 mg sandwich.

It would be wonderful, if true.

And I don't think they would try to mislead anyone in the PDF. But human error, perhaps...

You might just want to double check before your dad eats one, just in case.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, I just know that I like to double check things that seem too good to be true!

I'll email them again. I had filled out their web form and they emailed me the PDF file with the info. Yeah, I guess maybe they forgot the 1 and it was really supposed to be 1300? :scared: They list the sodium on their kids' Ham & Swiss as 250, so 300 does seem a little low, but 1300 would seem high, comparatively.

Okay, the excitement is building at my house!

I told my husband of your findings, and he is going to call and double check because he is seeing a ham and Swiss sandwich in his future when we head to Disneyland on Thursday!

pixiedust:

Let me know what you find out and I'll let you know if they respond to my email as well! :thumbsup2

I'll email them again. I had filled out their web form and they emailed me the PDF file with the info. Yeah, I guess maybe they forgot the 1 and it was really supposed to be 1300? :scared: They list the sodium on their kids' Ham & Swiss as 250, so 300 does seem a little low, but 1300 would seem high, comparatively.

Great! And I will let you know the results of our phone call once complete!

This could really be terrific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter