• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Healthy breakfast options?

jessanic

Earning My Ears
I've lost a hundred pounds in the last year and coming up to our first cruise next week. I'm not going to be crazy about sticking to my normal eating plan while on the ship, but I'd like to balance enjoying the food that's a big part of the cruise experience with some sanity with regards to food. My plan is to have a healthy breakfast and keep dessert to just once a day with dinner. Otherwise, I'll take lots of stairs and stay active and make the best choices I can.

With that in mind, are there healthy breakfast options at Cabanas in the mornings? Things like egg white omelets you can get made to order, plain oatmeal, fat free greek yogurt, etc?

Thanks!

Cabanas was the first breakfast buffet on any line I can remember that offered asparagus!

Alright! Asparagus for breakfast. That's exactly what I need to clean me out for my sea lion pictures. hehe Fiber does everyone good... (and we all know how trips can be...)

My cruising buddy had an egg white omlette every morning at breakfast :)

There is yogurt, though I never noticed greek yogurt, just things like the usual Dannon.

There is plain oatmeal, though it is difficult to tell how that might be prepared (meaning with water and/or with milk or cream). All the add - in's (brown sugar, granola, dried fruit) are on the side for you to add or not.

Plenty of fruit available.

Egg white omelettes can also be done.

Cabana's has many low cal/healthy options for breakfast and lunch. You'll easily find something that will fit your diet - as long as you remember to bring your will power with you.

Another option is to eat in one of the MDR's for breakfast and/or lunch. They cook your food to order there and will be happy to offer you healthy choices.

jessanic said:
I've lost a hundred pounds in the last year and coming up to our first cruise next week.
Congratulations and WAY TO GO!!!:cheer2: I've lost 20 lbs since Christmas and now I feel like a slacker!!

There usually a lot of good fruit at the buffet and on the pool deck fast food places. Just keep your eyes open. In the past, I ate way to much for breakfast when going through the buffet, so I have made sure to keep the portion size way small!! I found that going to one of the Main Dining Rooms for breakfast also helped with portion control. One of things that you should go ahead and splurge on is the chocolate filled croissants in the morning - or even the plain ones. They make them really good. Skip the Krispy Kreams - they are mass produced, frozen, then thawed for serving - nothing like getting them "off the line" in one of their stores.

I'm dieting as well. My favorite thing for breakfast was the fruit. It was so fresh and delicious. I also had scrambled egg whites and an egg white omelet with veggies. I was also able to get whole wheat toast.

I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. I did splurge on the Mickey waffles a few days.

Congrats on the weight loss.

I ate off the kids menu for breakfast too. The mickey waffle was cute, the scrambled eggs were cooked to death and then diced up. And then I had a taste of my DT's french toast. I am very careful now in buffet lines. They are still so many options that even if you try a LIL bit of each thing, you have tons, and then you feel bad, so you ended up eating more than you need. I even used the kids plate at Cabanas.

There is yogurt, though I never noticed greek yogurt, just things like the usual Dannon.

There is plain oatmeal, though it is difficult to tell how that might be prepared (meaning with water and/or with milk or cream).

Agree no greek yogurt.

The oatmeal is the pasty / sticky mass produced with water type.
If you like steel cut or even rolled that has separation / definition ("a chew") to it, you're out of luck.

They have grits out daily too.

The cream of wheat is available on request.

I just had plain greek yogurt on the Fantasy at Cabanas. It was behind the glass next to the fruit. You had to ask for it. I like it with blueberries but one day they did not have that option. i asked and they made up some for the case. It was plain yogut with 3 blueberries on top. I went to the box cereal section and picked up a box of low fat granola to sprinkle on top.

Every AM I eat the oatmeal with ground flax seed and walnuts or pecans sprinkled on with a smidge of brown sugar from the buffet. In the dining room, once a cruise, I order the buckwheat crepe with tofu.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm dieting as well. My favorite thing for breakfast was the fruit. It was so fresh and delicious. I also had scrambled egg whites and an egg white omelet with veggies. I was also able to get whole wheat toast.

I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. I did splurge on the Mickey waffles a few days.

Congrats on the weight loss.

This sounds like exactly like what I would like to have for breakfast!

I just had plain greek yogurt on the Fantasy at Cabanas. It was behind the glass next to the fruit. You had to ask for it. I like it with blueberries but one day they did not have that option. i asked and they made up some for the case. It was plain yogut with 3 blueberries on top. I went to the box cereal section and picked up a box of low fat granola to sprinkle on top.

Yay! I'm a Greek yogurt girl. Glad to hear this!

My advice would be to stick to the MDRs for breakfast. You can limit your portions there and can tell the water not to bring the pastry plate around. For me I have more willpower when ordering from a menu and drinking coffee or tea while waiting than being offered a million choices and wanting a "little" of each. I love their egg white omelettes and would eat that everyday and save my splurges for dinner. The funny thing is that one day my mother decided that our MDR breakfasts of egg whites and veggies were "too filling" and decided to eat at the buffet. Needless to say she ate 5 times as much as was back with us at the MDR the next morning.

Breakfast is my bfavorite meal and I ate whatever I wanted, just not much (and I am a "senior"). Lunch and dinner were light and I lost weight on every cruise. Stairs are the best exercise, though it is easier on the smaller ships. Congratulations and I know you shall find whatever you wish to eat.

Good job with the weight loss. :cool1:

I too think Cabanas is going to be the best place for you to eat healthy though I would imagine you'd be able to keep your will power a bit more in check in some of the MDR. I've considered eating in them for breakfast for this very reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter