Health Inspector Report

anne thomas

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are star
Inspectors found roaches and temperature violations at some amusement park restaurants
www.abcactionnews.com
Local News, Weather, Sports | Tampa Bay, Florida | ABC Action News WFTS-TV
www.abcactionnews.com
Local News, Weather, Sports | Tampa Bay, Florida | ABC Action News WFTS-TV, Tampa Bay News, Weather, Radar, Sports and Entertainment

Search and see how your fav restaurant scores!

Your link didnt take me to the article. i had to do a lengthy search. So i pasted it below for those who want to read. Anyway, my response to the article.......OH MY GOSH! Thats DISGUSTING!! Crystal Palace & Liberty Tree!? Im really grossed out by the roaches in liberty tree. it was my fave restaurant. Now im not so sure! GROSS!

ORLANDO, Fla. - It's summertime and that means the kids are out of school and it's time to enjoy the amusement parks! But when you get off the roller coaster to chow down, have you ever wondered how clean all those restaurants are?

In a special I-Team investigation, we looked through over 250 restaurant inspection reports from the Division of Hotels and Restaurants in and around the amusement parks, including Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Busch Gardens, Universal and surrounding

For the most part, the amusement park restaurants seemed to keep their places clean. But we found two restaurants at Magic Kingdom on North Monorail Way in Bay Lake that might make you think twice about how magical things are in the kitchens.

The Crystal Palace advertises that you can join Winnie the Pooh and friends at a bountiful buffet but state inspectors found food they serve at dangerous temperatures. On June 9, 2011 Crystal Palace had to throw out two large pans of shrimp and 10 pounds of NY strip beef because they were not properly cooled overnight from 135 degrees to 70 degrees in 2 hours and then from 70 degrees to 41 degrees in 4 hours. The restaurant also had to toss out over 8 pounds of grape jelly because the cans were rusted and not in good condition. Crystal Palace had a total of 25 violations during that June 9th inspection, accumulating 13 critical violations and 12 non-critical violations.

The Liberty Tree Tavern
inside the Magic Kingdom is the replica of an 18th-century Colonial restaurant that serves hearty New England-style lunches but state inspectors found something in the kitchen not on the menu. On June 10, 2011 state inspectors found dead roaches on the premises, in a light fixture over the wait station. They also documented pasta at 110 degrees instead of 135 degrees or above. And according to that report, there were cross contamination issues in the walk-in cooler with raw chicken stored over raw pork and raw trout stored over cooked crab and ready to eat salmon. Inspectors documented 18 violations in that report with 8 critical violations and 10 non-critical violations found.

When you arrive at Epcot Theme Park on North Avenue of the Stars in Lake Buena Vista, you will find an array of places to eat. The Rose and Crown Pub is the only full-service pub in Epcot with British beers and classic pub cuisine but it wasn't the fish and chips that got the attention of inspectors. State inspectors issued a stop sale on November 1, 2010 after finding 4 lbs of whipped cream and 3 lbs of custard at too warm a temperature of 48 degrees instead of 41 degrees or below. Inspectors also found other cold food not at 41 degrees or below including butter at the server area at 63 degrees, corned beef and cheese sandwiches at 70 degrees, and whipped cream spray at 51 degrees. Potatoes and onion cooked garnish for soup was not hot enough too, according to the inspection report, sitting in the kitchen at 110 degrees instead of 135 degrees or warmer. There were also cross contamination issues as inspectors found raw beef next to lettuce with the risk of drippage. A total of 22 violations were accumulated in November, with 12 critical issues and 10 non-critical.

Scroll down to see the response from Walt Disney World.

Disney World response: “We are committed to the highest standards in food safety and have been internationally recognized for our efforts. We take matters such as this very seriously and quickly worked to address the inspector’s concerns."

Zoraya Suarez - Manager of Media Relations, Walt Disney World

Honestly, in the world of restaurants, these are minor. The roaches were in a light fixture.

Very true. Considering how many restaurants there are, esp in epcot, they only found issues at Rose/Crown. Thats not bad at all!!!!

But still, roaches. Gag! I hate bugs. :(

I agree, for all of Disney World, the findings are not too bad. But, I'm with you, roaches anywhere shkeeve the heck outta me. Thank goodness they were only found in the light fixture. I have ressies for lunch at Liberty Tree in Dec, and now that's gonna be on mind when I'm eating.....ewwww!

These violations will only increase the dilligence of WDW to keep upping their standard level of cleanliness and service.

When you think of the amount of food stands, counter service, full service and cart vendors that WDW has, I am surprised there were not more. When you feed a bazillion people a day there are bound to be a few issues and I would lay money on the fact my local McD's/BK/KFC etc... has more than what was mentioned and they only have one store to worry about.

I used to own a security company that worked with CCTV cameras at many FF chains and the things I saw while making copies of tapes showing violations from employers and staff, were beyond roaches and worrying about the temp of a piece of cheese.

I have seen couples walking out of deep freeze walk in coolers, sweating after being alone with the door shut for 15 minutes. I have seen food dropped on the floor and wiped clean, then served on a plate. I have seen food stored in your basic Coleman cooler when a freezer broke and an owner did not want to pay for repairs.

Bottom line: Unless there is an epidemic of gut rot in the masses at WDW, I have more faith in Pluto frying up my viddles than Tommy Jr. and Becky Sue at the neighborhood FlapJacks. :thumbsup2

I managed a restaurant and have a food safety license. Believe it or not I am not that concerned about the dead roaches which were not in a food area. But the raw food stored above cooked is beyond shocking and unacceptable!

The rose and crown temperature issues are also off the charts shocking. They are required to fill out temperature logs every four hours, either the logs were falsified or they have a serious management problem.

Raw beef next to lettuce is an instant firing offense! That can kill people.

I managed a restaurant and have a food safety license. Believe it or not I am not that concerned about the dead roaches which were not in a food area. But the raw food stored above cooked is beyond shocking and unacceptable!

The rose and crown temperature issues are also off the charts shocking. They are required to fill out temperature logs every four hours, either the logs were falsified or they have a serious management problem.

I am so glad someone understands why I posted this......I just wanted to make people aware so they will careful and have a wonderful trip.

I would lay money on the fact my local McD's/BK/KFC etc... has more than what was mentioned and they only have one store to worry about.

I wouldn't. Those companies are very strict on their franchisees. Also since they really are not preparing food from scratch (other than frying chicken) you probably wont find raw meat next to lettuce. Their procedures and assembly line are so streamlined that it is unlikely that raw food will just be sitting out somewhere. Things go from a regulated refrigerator (or freezer) to a hot fryer etc. It is unlikely that you would find something like roast beef at 70 degrees.

"I have seen couples walking out of deep freeze walk in coolers, sweating after being alone with the door shut for 15 minutes. I have seen food dropped on the floor and wiped clean, then served on a plate. I have seen food stored in your basic Coleman cooler when a freezer broke and an owner did not want to pay for repairs."

Again, unlike raw meat dripping near lettuce that will be served raw, none of those things have a real potential of killing the customers (provided the floor is relatively clean, of course, and the cooler is at proper temperature and there are not raw and ready to serve products in the same cooler).

I seriously cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to have raw meat or meat juice near ready to serve vegetables. I just do not see that happening at Mcdonalds etc.

This thread is freaking me out. We have reservations at Rose and Crown and the Crystal Palace for our trip, which is about two weeks from now. I'm pregnant, so I'm at increased risk for food poisoning anyway. I wonder if I should cancel my reservations, or are they liable to be particularly diligent about safety standards shortly following an inspection?

I agree with those who think these violations are not that unusual in the grand world of restaurants..
I would not be concerned at all about eating in any of the mentioned establishments.

Well, the beef/lettuce thing in particular concerns me...that could be deadly. Raw meat touching my food is not okay.

I would not be concerned about the restaurants mentioned. I bet they cleared up this issues and are now the cleanest in the park.
I am just glad they did not find the rat that is at Le Cellar. I hope to see him this trip.

Roaches found...not shocking at all. Glad they were in the light fixtures. The raw meat over cooked food is my concern...that can be DEADLY!!!!

"Ready to eat Salmon" _ I knew the food standards have gone down - they are cutting corners!

Someone also posted about having to check temps - I know I've seen them check temps at 1900 Park Fare

I would not be concerned about the restaurants mentioned. I bet they cleared up this issues and are now the cleanest in the park.
I am just glad they did not find the rat that is at Le Cellar. I hope to see him this trip.

:scared1: Remy escaped to Le Cellier? He'd better get back to France

This thread is freaking me out. We have reservations at Rose and Crown and the Crystal Palace for our trip, which is about two weeks from now. I'm pregnant, so I'm at increased risk for food poisoning anyway. I wonder if I should cancel my reservations, or are they liable to be particularly diligent about safety standards shortly following an inspection?

When it comes to the Disney owned restaurants, I would not worry. I bet they have cracked down big time since the violations, and while the crystal palace violations were bad I can understand how they happened, I am also assuming the ready to serve salmon and crab salad were wrapped.

I am also sure they have cracked down big time on Rose and Crown BUT those violations are so awful, that I would still be concerned that there is still some serious ignorance there.

If you are really worried just stick to very hot or very cold dishes. i.e. avoid raw lettuce and spinach. (and wherever you go don't order any lemon wedges in your drink).

Michelle

Just looked up Ohana...yuck! I guess 2011 was the year of worsening hygiene for one of Disney's most popular restaurants.

Seriously, I'm shocked. Ohana has received way more violations in 2011 than during any past year. I thought these restaurants are supposed to improve and address their previous violations, not become complacent and cut corners.

I am not worried too much about these inspections.

If each of us were to have our own kitchens inspected we would be shut down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter