Healies at Epcot

I think it is a hard thing for cm's to enforce. Unless parents do something about it, the kids will just start rolling again once the cm is gone. That being said, I have heard that more and more cm's are confiscating the wheels when they see them at the parks. :thumbsup2

My son wants some, and I've told him no way. For one, he plays on a challenge soccer team, and the last thing he needs is to get injured while wearing these things. Furthermore, I've told him that there really aren't that many places he can ride them. In public is out, not just because they are banned almost everywhere, but because, as a responsible parent, I wouldn't let him wear them out in public. They are also banned at his school. So, when you look at it that way, there really is no way to justify spending the money on something he would barely be able to use.

Indy's Girl said:
I think it is a hard thing for cm's to enforce. Unless parents do something about it, the kids will just start rolling again once the cm is gone. That being said, I have heard that more and more cm's are confiscating the wheels when they see them at the parks. :thumbsup2

That's exactly it. It's impossible to enforce. There are SO MANY of them, and they are concealed so well (let's face it: wearing them isn't obvious like carrying around a skateboard or wearing rollerblades), that you just can't keep tabs on all the kids who have them.

They are all over the place and I'm afraid they aren't going away.

goldilocks_63 said:
My DD-8 wanted to wear Healies (Gym shoes with wheel in them) to WDW. I said no to MK, because too crowded, but thought Epcot would be okay. However, security said no, so we didn't....

But then saw lots of kids wheeling around in the park....

Opinions, Goldi
I feel so bad for your DD. She's probably thinking that's what happens when you obey the rules. Everyone else does it and gets away with it. I've seen lots of kids wearing healies and no one says anything. If only CMs would get tougher on this problem (and smoking in non-smoking areas, that's another issue).

After reading all these rants about banning heelies, I totally agree. And Disney should also ban running of any kind, as well as any other type of fast physical movement by kids. Speed walking would be okay, but no trotting, walking backward, sideways, or eating at the same time. The CM's could issue tickets to the offenders. Sounds, absurd, doesn't it? But what is the difference?

The bottom line to all of this is two-fold: First, kids will be kids. Second, that's what parents are for. Our society is overwhelmed with rules of all kinds because we won't hold each other accountable; in this case, parents raising their children right.

GeorgiaVol said:
After reading all these rants about banning heelies, I totally agree. And Disney should also ban running of any kind, as well as any other type of fast physical movement by kids. Speed walking would be okay, but no trotting, walking backward, sideways, or eating at the same time. The CM's could issue tickets to the offenders. Sounds, absurd, doesn't it? But what is the difference?

The bottom line to all of this is two-fold: First, kids will be kids. Second, that's what parents are for. Our society is overwhelmed with rules of all kinds because we won't hold each other accountable; in this case, parents raising their children right.

The difference is this, heelies are a specific piece of equipment designed for the purpose of heel skating. Skates and skateboards are not permitted in the parks.

Running, jumping, etc are physical activities not facilitated by specially designed equipment...anyone can run or jump in standard shoes. One can not skate in standard shoes. The equipment makes the skating (and higher speeds, with less control) possible.

It is similar to saying, "Why enforce not driving your cars in the parks...kids can run and jump, so what is the difference?"

GeorgiaVol said:
After reading all these rants about banning heelies, I totally agree. And Disney should also ban running of any kind, as well as any other type of fast physical movement by kids. ....

Actually, in the morning when the rope drops and everyone wants to run to Space Mt, Soarin', etc, CMs walk the crowd over to the attraction. So you can't run.

Back in October a young girl was wheeling down the Monorail offramp at EPCOT. As she reached the bottom she was at an uncontrollable speed and fell face first.

Face to Concrete leaft quite a raspberry on her face.

My wife is a pediatrician. Unfortunately, our Disney vacations are partially funded by Heelys, if you know what I mean.

my DD7 has Heelys which my DH bought as a surprise for her B-Day. She's already said she wants to take them to WDW when we go in Jan. I've already said she will NOT be wearing them in the parks. But I've just now wondered if it'll be allright to wear them along the Boardwalk (as we'll be staying there) and the walkway between Boardwalk and MGM. I can't see it as being too much of a problem as there are people on bikes and surreys and joggers etc. Of course, if it's NOT ALLOWED then she won't be taking them... And I must say, that parents should definately make sure their children are not out of control.... wherever they are using them:sunny:

I couldn't count the number of heelies I saw in the parks and resorts on my last trip. They were everywhere, and mostly on kids aged 8-11 - very few on older kids, very few on younger kids.

I am in favor of the ban, because skating of any kind in a crowded public place poses a danger to everyone around, but I have to say that so far I haven't been victimized by any heelie terrorists. Most of the kids I saw were cruising on the things at barely more than walking speed, in a staight line, without any crazy veering. I saw a few kids stumble, but didn't see any collisions or wipeouts (which surprised me considering the sheer volume of heelies I saw).

2Xited4Disney said:
Back in October a young girl was wheeling down the Monorail offramp at EPCOT. As she reached the bottom she was at an uncontrollable speed and fell face first.

Face to Concrete leaft quite a raspberry on her face.

Exactly. And these are the same type that will SUE disney for getting hurt on property. The faster they do something about these things, the better. It's horrible at the malls too. At ASMusic last month, i thought there must be some type of tournament for them going on because every kid from about 7-12 had them.

While waiting for the parade at MGM last week, two girls were skating with their heelies right in front of us and kept stopping inches from the stroller. I was getting very frustrated. The moms were just ignoring them. My husband ws waiting for them to fall. I also saw them all over the parks. They need to be banned!!!!!!!!!!
Cindy

trpscooby said:
my DD7 has Heelys which my DH bought as a surprise for her B-Day. She's already said she wants to take them to WDW when we go in Jan. I've already said she will NOT be wearing them in the parks. But I've just now wondered if it'll be allright to wear them along the Boardwalk (as we'll be staying there) and the walkway between Boardwalk and MGM. I can't see it as being too much of a problem as there are people on bikes and surreys and joggers etc. Of course, if it's NOT ALLOWED then she won't be taking them... And I must say, that parents should definately make sure their children are not out of control.... wherever they are using them:sunny:

I'd say not to wear them on the BoardWalk. It's rather bumpy due to the planks and your DD is likely to fall. Plus, so many people hate those surrey bikes already, don't add to the rolling traffic.

They wouldn't be worth packing just for going from the BW to MGM.

trpscooby said:

I don't know if they are banned at the Boardwalk or not, but one thing to keep in mind about using them between the hotel and mgm is that when not being used to skate, they are actually pretty horrendous to walk in. As previous poster has mentioned, I too have seen kids having to walk on their toes or in other unnatural ways with these shoes, and they are probably not comfortable even if your daughter can walk okay in them. Are these really the shoes you want her wearing into the park just so she can skate for a few brief moments on the way there?

Indy's Girl said:
The thing I noticed at WDW that makes it really hard for anyone to enforce is that one minute there is a child walking and then you notice they are moving differently. If there are quite a few people around, by the time you almost figure out who is using the heelies, they have stopped.
I have seen CMs tell kids to stop, and then as soon as they are out of sight of that CM, they are gliding on them again.

goofy4tink said:
If Disney is going to say they are not allowed, then the CMs should be enforcing the rule.

We do. However, as soon as the kids get out of our line of sight, they start skating again.

I haven't done this, but one of my co-workers saw a kid wipe out on their heelys, and mentioned to them "Next time, try walking. It's less painful"

SyracuseWolvrine said:
We do. However, as soon as the kids get out of our line of sight, they start skating again.

I haven't done this, but one of my co-workers saw a kid wipe out on their heelys, and mentioned to them "Next time, try walking. It's less painful"

This is why they have to be checked at the turnstiles. Stop them before they even enter the park. It's really the only way til word gets around and then people will know better. No one would think of bringing in a skateboard, so why heelies.
LOL, thats a good one about try walking, it's less painful! :rotfl2:

I saw a grown man at Ep. with them on the other week.

My boys think they're great. I tell them they'll never have them. It'll make them lazy. Kids need exercise now more than ever before. Rollar shoes aren't helping the problem. :guilty:

And I too have been run down more than a few times by kids on those things. At WDW and the mall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter