• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Heads up about 50s PT/fried chicken menu change

Man, this thread has me craving beans, cornbread, and chow chow! My favorite mid-winter dinner =)

OP, Thanks for the head's up on the side item change!

I was just coming to post this. We dined at 50's PT for lunch today and DH got the fried chicken and didn't notice the change! So they take away the fab green beans at Ohana and now PT!

They also changed up the dessert menu, no cheesecake, no angel food cake dessert today either...and they couldn't have been out since we were there when they opened!

I am SO happy they now have collard greens!! I live in Canada now but, grew up in the south. Nearly every time I go down there I notice that the food is getting less and less regional and more and more "generic" I LOVE soul food!! I never eat it here much as it isn't the healthiest stuff in the world. BUT when I go back down I eat at HOB and any other places in Orlando I can find that are more authentically regional. You can get green beans ANYWHERE. But a real fried chicken dinner down south would include a vegatable that is more authentic and "southern" Wooohooo!! Thank you prime time. I think I'll just order cornbread and collard greens this time. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I know I'm making a big deal out of this. :rotfl2: But when you are sooo far from home, one thing you do miss is the food! Now point me to some decent Q in Orlando and I'll be very happy! :rotfl: :cool1:

DaisyD said:
Remember also that you can always ask for corn. We never get the green beans as they are nasty and hardly cooked. The corn is canned but much better then the alternative!

I had no idea you could ask for corn! We'll be there in 2 weeks, I'll do that, thanks!

This is kind of OT but this thread made me think of my Mom and kids going to see my family in Mississippi. They are gonna have fried green tomatoes, fried okra, black eyed peas, and sweet tea without me :sad:

Fried green tomatoes and black eyed peas!?

I thought they were just a movie and a band!

Hehee, seriously though... I'm excited about trying some traditional southern food. We certainly don't have anything like that here in Australia! Trying new things is part of the fun!

Lizzybee said:
This is kind of OT but this thread made me think of my Mom and kids going to see my family in Mississippi. They are gonna have fried green tomatoes, fried okra, black eyed peas, and sweet tea without me :sad:

awww ((((((((((((Lizzybee))))))))))))) at least you are in Chicago! I KNOW they have good soul food restaurants there!! But I do know how you feel!

I like collard greens, but im not too sure id like them at the prime time how on earth will they try to fork feed you those,

This is cracking me up - apparently this is a change made in the last week!

Folks, as a Southerner, I never dreamed I'd see collards show up as an exotic food. Not everyone knows how to fix 'em ... it'll be interesting to see if 50's Prime Time can pull it off. How "strong" they are depends on when they were picked - the later in the season, the better. With fried chicken, collard greens, black-eyed peas, and cornbread are all VERY appropriate. And chow-chow is a nice addition to most any green vegetable. Yeah, babe!

Totally OT here, but if any of you happen to pass through or close by Atlanta on your way driving to WDW, take a little side trip to the Blue Willow Inn nearby Metro Atlanta, in Social Circle, GA. If you want or need an introduction to true Southern cooking, it doesn't get any better than this:

http://www.bluewillowinn.com/

And, all over the state, Cracker Barrel does a decent job, too - it's a good place to be introduced to grits.

I cook southern foods on occasion. My grandfather, who has passed on. Was the best cook in the south. So, he taught me well. Anyhow, I remember him mentioning chow chow. But, don't ever remember him making it. So, what is chow chow? TIA :grouphug:

Collard greens have been in my diet all my 40 years. They are awesome as long as they are cooked properly. Unfortuntely, Disney may not know "how to prepare them" and then they seem like they came out of a can. BTW, I ate at PT twice in one week just two weeks ago and the green beans were very crisp/crunchy as though as they had been steamed and not thoroughly cooked. Having a veggie choice would be nice. What about corn on the cob? :wave:
Just my 2 cents

Chow chow is a relish, usually cabbage based, but some will load it up with green tomatoes, onions, maybe green peppers. It's all pickled together with vinegar, salt, tumeric ... actually, there are tons of variations. But it's basically a relish, spooned atop peas or greens.

It's gonna be interesting to hear feedback from this menu change - and, I agree, a vegetable choice would be good.

Navy Disney Fan, my son has nothing but good to say about the Navy "docs" that were with them in Iraq. Thank YOU for your service.

Are they force feeding the collard greens like they did the green beans?? This is the reason I would never order the chicken!

Maggie

I've never had chow-chow, that sounds delicious! Bring on the Southern Food! :cheer2:

You had me there!! I thought they had changed the menu and were now NOT offering the fried chicken that my family loves. I guess this just teaches me to read the whole thread before I start to panic!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter