Heading to WDW in Oct. Question about using a stroller for 3 YO

Love the Mouse

Mouseketeer
Our DD is 3. When we go anywhere, we don't use a stroller anymore, but I know how much walking we do in Disney. I fear that if we bring it, she won't use it and I will be pushing around an empty stroller, but if we don't bring it, I will have to rent one and really don't want that added expense to our trip.

What would you do? Do you find that your 3YO have a tendency to want to be carried after a certain amount of time? Is it worth it to lug it down there?

Any advise would be appreciated.

...when I went with my then 3 yo DS last year. It was a much faster way to get around the parks. He didn't mind it at all--and even took a nap in it one afternoon after falling asleep on the bus. I got 30 minutes to check out Future World with a sleeping child in a stroller:cool1: , instead of sitting on a bench because he would have been too heavy to carry around.

We took a stroller for our 3yr old when we were there last month, he walked most of the time but there were times when he wanted to ride especially at the end of the day, he also fell asleep in the stroller a few times.

DS was 4 on our last trip in April. We brought our umbrella stroller just in case. He did use it a lot. Especially in the evenings. What I did was if I knew we were having a short day I would leave it at the room. If our day was long and we would be out till late I would take it. He rode in it much more that I expected because he never uses a stroller at home. We will be going in Nov and I am still going to bring it for those long park days. It's also great for the airport to hold some of our bags while I hold his hand!

We have the same problem... I think the agreement on this board would be to take a stroller, but I think it really depends on the kid and how resistant they would be to the stroller.

Since my DD was born, she has been resistant to anything that restrains her - car seats, swings, super-saucers, highchairs, strollers. To this day, if we're in a car for more than 10 minutes it becomes a battle.

So I plan to rent one only if it's a desperate situation - rather than forcing the issue, because it will only make the people around us miserable and make her and my temper very short.

Its an awful lot of walking, I know my 3 year old will need one.. She doesn't nap at home..but there is so much going on by late afternoon..she conks out in that thing.

I say bring it! We're bringing a double and single for DS2.5, DS4 & DD5.5 when we go next month. The boys certainly need it and I'd bet my DD will too -- she used it last year when she was 4.5. I find it so much easier to keep track of them when they're sitting in the strollers and not able to wander off -- especailly when we're out numbered 2:1! :thumbsup2

We have a rule -- you must ride in the stroller when we are moving from one area to another. Once we park it you must hold hands or the stollers come back out.

If you find she's really not using it after the first few days you can leave it in the room. Better to have one to leave in the room than to find out the hard way you need it and have to rent one.

for DD4 and DD6 to use occassionally....they don't use it at all at home and we also do a lot of walking, but I would rather take it and not need it much then to not take it and have them want piggyback rides because there little legs are just worn out! Plus we can put our snacks and drinks in it and any souvenirs that we buy instead of carrying everything!! I say bring it! :thumbsup2

We always take a stroller to WDW, will be bringing one in a few days when we visit again w/our not quite 4-1/2yr old. Think about the heat, and the crowds, and the fact that you can walk anywhere from 5-10miles a day there. I don't think you will regret bringing one. And you know, if you bring it and find after the first day that you're not using it, you can always leave it in your room. But I think you will use it! :-)

hth

We bought 2 Maclaren umbrella strollers before our trip in June. DD (5) doesn't use one at home, but I'm soooooooooooooooo glad we got this one and brought it. She used it quite a bit. She took a nap in it on several occasions. It was really nice to have after a long day at the parks, trying to get back to the resort....we didn't have to carry her.

She hasn't used it since our trip, but we will be taking it back again in December for her. I have no hesitation in bringing it with us. As a matter of fact, my DH stated last night (family went walking last night and we got one out for DS (1)) that these strollers were a life saver for us.

My SIL was with us in June with her DD (7). They rented a stroller each day. It was nice that we didn't have to wait to rent a stroller each day and also having it with us between the parks and the resort.

We brought ours when DD was 3.5 and the only time we didn't take it to the parks was during MNSSHP and once we got back to the hotel we wished that we would have brought it. She had stopped using it at around 2.5, but it definately came in handy for that trip.

We have a rule -- you must ride in the stroller when we are moving from one area to another. Once we park it you must hold hands or the stollers come back out.

Same here, and it prevents him from arguing about holding hands. We bring a basic umbrella stroller so it's easy on the buses. It would just take too long and I think he would get too tired if we let him walk from the bus/car deep into the park. So, we don't use it a lot inside the park, unless he wants it, except to go between lands. We also keep a backpack hung on it all day that has change of clothes and rain stuff in it, as well as extra snacks. This lets us just carry a very small bag around the park and on the rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter