Heading to WDW from Wisconsin

We are North of Green Bay
We are flying out of Green Bay -Then Milwaukee to Orlando the end of September

Cant Wait:hourglass

Hi Momoftriplets! This is your neighbor Patabel! (Grandma of Twins!)
Karen shows up here now and then as KrnB

Love the picture!

Love the picture!

Hi, Pat!!!! Let's start singing "It's a small world afterall......" (Are you singing?)

I'll have to be on the lookout for Karen.

You've seen that picture, haven't you? I need to find a more "flattering" one, but I just love the big smiles in this one. :)

See ya soon!
Barb

Hi, Pat!!!! Let's start singing "It's a small world afterall......" (Are you singing?)

I'll have to be on the lookout for Karen.

You've seen that picture, haven't you? I need to find a more "flattering" one, but I just love the big smiles in this one. :)

See ya soon!
Barb

Hi! :wave2:

:music: "It's a world of laughter, a world of tears... " :lmao:

Love the picture!

Hi! :wave2:

:music: "It's a world of laughter, a world of tears... " :lmao:

"It's a world of joy and a world of .........(something)"
:lmao:
You guys are tooooo funny!!! We're supposed to be talking about driving to WDW!! Quit high jacking this thread! :rolleyes1
B

We are in Madison, leaving Milwaukee on Aug 25th and staying until Sept 1st at OKW...maybe we will see each other ;)

You're right Barb, sorry about the hijack! It's that I was so shocked to see you! ::yes::

Though it's been years since we drove from Chicago to see the Mouse, I do remember enjoying the drive. We drove approximately 8-9 hours a day, then stopped at a motel with a pool for the night. Our DD got to burn off her energy in the pool and we got some sleep in a bed as opposed to a car! We'd leave early the next morning and repeat. Our drive was two full days and a half. The downside is driving thru Illinois and Indiana - very flat and very boring. Once you get thru Indiana, the drive is gorgeous.

You're right Barb, sorry about the hijack! It's that I was so shocked to see you! ::yes::

I show up in the most unusual places, don't I? :teeth:

I would consider driving, but I really doubt DH would go for it. I'm fairly certain we would come back divorced!!! :eek:

I've "done the math", in my head at least, & for a family of 5, we might save $500 with driving. That's taking one night in a hotel each way, gas, food on the way down & back. I scour airfares for a long time to get the lowest price I can. In the grand scheme of all things Disney, that's not a lot of savings. (There's my Disney math again!) If I can save my sanity (& my marriage) for $500, I'll do it.

I know when we plan the next trip, I will look much closer at it & then make the decision. Until then, it's just speculation.
B

:guilty: Hi all we are leaving from Michigan on Aug 25!! This will be my first trip that I am driving :sad2: DH will not be able to attend (new job, no vacation) :guilty: Just gonna be me, DMom and Dsis and my 2 princesses. I tried to get Dmom to fly but she was concerned with all the medication she takes being able to carry it on without a hassle. So I guess my tail bone will have to pay the price :rotfl:

Just wanted to say hello! I'm from Wausau. We're planning on driving for our Aug trip next year with two youngsters.

Another Wisconsinite here - Kenosha. We have not driven yet - gotta love the Chicago (Midway) DING! fares. I think the drive down would be motivated by the anticipation of arriving at WDW, but my question is - how is the drive back?

Howdie, chop456!

Our trick to making the drive BACK from Disney not so bad is. . . go for two weeks. :yay: By the time you're done (even if you've had a GREAT time at WDW), you're kind of aching to get home. While our last day at WDW is still sad, being away from our WI home that long does seem to make the drive back a bit easier. We've gone for shorter times (like about a week), and the drive home is definitely more difficult. . . it doesn't seem like we've had our "fill" of Disney magic yet. ;)

By the way. . . I've got many family members in Kenosha (my DD is from there). So, HELLO!!! to you, my honorary "Disney-loving, Kenosha-living, family member." :rotfl: (After all, aren't we all just part of the big Disney family anyway?!?! :grouphug: )

Though it's been years since we drove from Chicago to see the Mouse, I do remember enjoying the drive. We drove approximately 8-9 hours a day, then stopped at a motel with a pool for the night. Our DD got to burn off her energy in the pool and we got some sleep in a bed as opposed to a car! We'd leave early the next morning and repeat. Our drive was two full days and a half. The downside is driving thru Illinois and Indiana - very flat and very boring. Once you get thru Indiana, the drive is gorgeous.

Well, given that I was what, 7? 8? I don't remember much of the details of the drive, but I do remember quite a bit considering how long its been. I remember that Indiana was the state that never ends. Yep, really boring - Iowa with less corn. I also remember thinking that Georgia was really pretty, and I vaguely remember seeing the Smoky Mountains (it's a bit hazy, ;)). I think that trip was the first time I ever saw grits too, probably when we had stopped for the night in Tennessee. I don't recall being all that impressed. :lmao:

The fact that I can remember that much detail at all after over 20 years gives some indication as to why a drive might be a good opportunity if you can take the time to take break (and if you can be sure your DH won't lose his mind, LOL). It's a great way for the family to really get to see the US instead of just hopping from one major city to the next.

We are from the Milwaukee area and are flying down 9-19 to 9-25. We drove down once as a family with my DS's who were 3 and 4 and pregnant with our 3rd. My DH insisted on driving the entire way - I think so that I would take care of the kids. I too scour for cheap air prices. We found non-stop on Air Tran with great times for $157 each for this next year - I'm not sure we could drive that cheap. Although as a family growing up the 7 of us piled in the car and drove every year without a second thought - maybe that's why I'd rather fly.

Am flying out of Milwaukee to Orlando in a month. I was surprised how many people made that long drive to FLA - how long does it take everyone?

Illinois here when I was 10 my parents drove down with my grandparents and cousins it was our caravan of crazy-ness, that is one of the best memories I have. Mom and dad would pull over to rest and everyone would switch drivers it was like playing musical chairs with the cars.I wish I had the guts to drive but its just me my son and my sis so we fly.

Am flying out of Milwaukee to Orlando in a month. I was surprised how many people made that long drive to FLA - how long does it take everyone?

We're in Minneapolis and while we do drive, it's never right through. Traditionally, we leave home around 4am to drive to Nashville. We arrive around 6 or 7pm. Then from Nashville to Disney it's about 10.

This year though we're doing Minneapolis to St Louis (about 9 hours) and then St Louis to Atlanta (about another 9 hours) and then Atlanta to Disney is only about 6 1/2.

We looooove driving and wouldn't have it any other way. Then again, it's just the two of us-I'm sure if we had little ones we'd consider other options :)

Hi! I am from Monroe. We are flying down (probably out of Chicago O'Hare) Nov. 1. We like to fly cause that gets us down there fast so we can spend more of our time at Disney World.

party: Another SE Wisconsinite here. :D

I've only ever flown but then again, I've not been that many times, either. Got to get those Northwest world perks miles!!

Have a great trip :)

I just spend 100,000 NWA miles on 4 tickets to Florida in October. Only downside is we have to fly out of Rochester, MN and into Tampa, FL (we live on the west coast of Wisconsin).

But at least it allows us to go to Disney! Saved approx. $ 1600 on airfare (according to the NWA website)...

We frequently drive from West Central Minnesota. It is nearly 27 hours! ::yay:

When we leave depends on if it is a weekday or a weekend. If a weekday, we drive to avoid the MSP traffic. We're crazy. We go at least 1000 miles the first day (sometimes as much as 1150), stop for the night, and then continue on to Disney for an arrival around 3pm.

We have driven both through Illinois and through Indiana and we strongly prefer the Illinois route. My kids HATE driving through Illinois, though. They always start singing, "It is the state that never ends" rather than "This is the song that never ends"...

Pretty funny about Effingham. We also joke quite a bit about its name. In fact, we frequently call it Effingpork... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter