Headed to FW in 2 days, but have a problem!

Sisdy

Earning My Ears
We are leaving on Wed. for FW, but have a problem with lights. Our running lights and tail lights are not working on the trailer when hooked to the car. We have a 2007 Ford Expedition. The blinkers and brake lights will work . This also happens when we hook up to the horse trailer so we think it has to be a problem with the car. Does anyone have any ideas what we can check DH has been searching fuses and anything he can think of.

We are leaving on Wed. for FW, but have a problem with lights. Our running lights and tail lights are not working on the trailer when hooked to the car. We have a 2007 Ford Expedition. The blinkers and brake lights will work . This also happens when we hook up to the horse trailer so we think it has to be a problem with the car. Does anyone have any ideas what we can check DH has been searching fuses and anything he can think of.

check your fuses............ look in your owners manual

there might be a fuse labeled tow lights or something like that. we have a 2007 expidition as well, let me know if you can find it and Ill go look at ours

@Sisdy, Sounds like a problem I had before, Try sanding the electrical connections with emery cloth.

Thanks, he has checked most of the fuses. I hate to sound dumb, but what is an emery cloth. We will try anything.

Everything works on the truck. I thought it might be like sandpaper. He will give these ideas a try tomorrow. Hopefully it will be something simple like this. Feel free to share any other ideas that you may have. Thanks

get a multimeter and start checking voltage in the plug. if you need more help on how to do this I can help you more over the phone and walk you through it

If all else fails you may just have to buy a new male&female plug and replace the existing one.

Hope you hava great trip.:thumbsup2

Thanks again, as soon as DH gets home from work, we will try these. 32 hours until we leave, HOPEFULLY!

The under hood fuse panel has a 25 amp fuse for the trailer running light relay. Check the owners manual for the location .That should get them working but there must be a reason why it has blown. Good luck hope this helps. Jarrshel HAVE FUN AT THE FORT !:)

Had the same problem with my F-150. Checked the fuses and one was out. My Ford has 2 fuse panels one in the cab and one under the hood and the problem fuse was under the hood.

Also check the prongs on you female plug sometime they get bent and might not make contact,and as said before check wires on the back of plug to make sure they are ok.

Using a multimeter is your best bet to trace down the problem. They're inexpensive and can be purchased at any hardware store or Radio Shack. Check the running light prong on the truck connection, if no voltage then you could have a blown fuse or broken wire on the truck. If there is voltage there then you eliminated the truck as a source of the problem. If there is voltage there then plug in the trailer harness and check voltage on the trailer harness where the wires come out of the plug. If no voltage then the problem is in the plug. If there is voltage then the problem is further back in the trailer wire harness. Through the process of elimination you'll find the problem.

It was the fuse, wrong size!!! Thanks everyone. We leave tomorrow!!:yay::banana:

It was the fuse, wrong size!!! Thanks everyone. We leave tomorrow!!:yay::banana:

glad it was something simple...........now what blew the fuse? prolly something in the trailer wiring, I had a simular problem wiht a TT and it was the connection plug

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter