• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Head Spinning...Cancel California Grill?

UKKidd

Earning My Ears
OK, so we are going to Disney for the massive Spring Break week in April (5th - 10th).

My cousin is going with us, with her son and husband (it's just me and DH on our side) - so 5 total.

Anyways... she has made all the dinner reservations and did so months ago because she wanted to get the 'hard' stuff first. That was great planning, but we had no input, but then she says she doesn't care if we change them. We got 'Ohanas, California Grill, Jiko - The Cooking Place, Be Our Guest and 50's Prime Time Café.

So, I've had a look at California Grill's menu, and I'm not terribly excited. It's impressive, but nothing I'm excited about personally. And the prices for just an entrée is more than we would spend on an entire 3-course meal for two of us. Do you get your money's worth? Are the portions justified for the prices? Is the food quality worth the price?

The only thing I'm excited about is possibly catching the fireworks while eating....wait, I think our table is booked between 6-7...so we probably wouldn't even catch them?

OK, OK, I've rambled enough... so it leaves me to ask: is California Grill worth it for me not being even the slightest excited about it?

And my alternative is... maybe we keep the reservation, because my cousin really likes CG...but maybe after dinner we can hop on the monorail to the Poly for some drinks and appetisers?

Where is good, on the monoroail system, that you can just stop by and have quick drinks and some munchies? Would we be allowed just to chill at a resort for a while that's not ours? (as long as we don't go to the pool, of course)

We love CG but if your not comfortable with the prices or the menu then I personally would not keep the reservation. I don't think you would enjoy it if you were worried about the cost.
You can go and visit any resort and eat, drink and shop etc. the only thing as you said is that you can't use the pool.
We have eaten at the poly a few times and then gone out to the beach to watch the fire works, it's a lot more romantic than from the top at CG.

We haven't been to Cali Grill in many years, but IMO I'd say if you haven't eaten there before to give a try. You might like it. Sure it's a bit pricey.

As far as monorail resorts go, you can go to any resort and stay as long as you'd like. All the monorail resorts have a lounge where you can order apps/small plates & drinks.

Have fun & enjoy your trip!!!

We just ate at CG in October (just dh and I) and it was a disappointment for me. My dh loved it but I didn't and no, the portions are not large. What I DID love was being able to come back to the viewing platform to watch the fireworks later. Very nice!
But truthfully, I have watched them from the beach at the Poly and loved that more. So my vote would be to cancel your reservation and have drinks at the hotel and watch the fireworks from the beach.

Hmmm ... this is a hard one. I personally love the California Grill but I wouldn't spend my $$ on it if the menu didn't excite me.

To answer your other questions:

(1) If you do go to the CG for dinner early you are invited back to enjoy the fireworks from the viewing area. You cannot access the CG viewing area without eating there (you could possibly just visit the bar, but I don't know how that works anymore).

(2) You are welcome to "hang out" at any resort. You are welcome to try to find a place at the Tambu Lounge for snacks and drinks, however you also can no longer watch the fireworks from the Polynesian beach.

(3) You may watch the fireworks from the 4th (?) floor viewing area of the Contemporary or the boat dock at the Grand Floridian.

We used to love the CG and then post remodel we went and were VERY disappointed. The food and the service really went down hill. If you aren't excited about it, then cancel the ressie. Citricos and Jikos are much better options but of course don't have the views that CG has.

I vote for cancelling Cal Grill. Soooo not worth the money, IMO.
The firework viewing from Grand Floridian near Gasparilla Grill and the marina is surprisingly good, but in my opinion, the best place is in MK, down Main Street between Casey's and the Plaza. The Fireworks frame the castle perfectly in that spot. When you view them anywhere else, even from a boat in the lagoon, they are "off sides", behind, beside, etc.
The 4th floor viewing platform at the Contemporary is free, but no romance or atmosphere to it.
If you really just want to see the ones high up in the air, and it doesn't matter about seeing them in relation to the castle, you can watch from the monorail platform too. Lots of places, even the 50's pool at Pop. But only on Main Street do you get the perfect castle view of the fireworks.

Why don't you let your cousin keep the reservation and you and your husband find another restaurant to eat at? Narcoossees at the GF is excellent if you like seafood. Or find another place that excites your palate for a quiet dinner for the two of you. I'm sure it's not written in stone that you have to eat every meal together.

OK, so we are going to Disney for the massive Spring Break week in April (5th - 10th).

My cousin is going with us, with her son and husband (it's just me and DH on our side) - so 5 total.

Anyways... she has made all the dinner reservations and did so months ago because she wanted to get the 'hard' stuff first. That was great planning, but we had no input, but then she says she doesn't care if we change them. We got 'Ohanas, California Grill, Jiko - The Cooking Place, Be Our Guest and 50's Prime Time Café.

So, I've had a look at California Grill's menu, and I'm not terribly excited. It's impressive, but nothing I'm excited about personally. And the prices for just an entrée is more than we would spend on an entire 3-course meal for two of us. Do you get your money's worth? Are the portions justified for the prices? Is the food quality worth the price?

The only thing I'm excited about is possibly catching the fireworks while eating....wait, I think our table is booked between 6-7...so we probably wouldn't even catch them?

OK, OK, I've rambled enough... so it leaves me to ask: is California Grill worth it for me not being even the slightest excited about it?

And my alternative is... maybe we keep the reservation, because my cousin really likes CG...but maybe after dinner we can hop on the monorail to the Poly for some drinks and appetisers?

Where is good, on the monoroail system, that you can just stop by and have quick drinks and some munchies? Would we be allowed just to chill at a resort for a while that's not ours? (as long as we don't go to the pool, of course)

I personally love California Grill, but, yes, that's a hefty amount to pay for a meal you are not excited about!

If your cousin really wants to eat there, I would at least keep the reservation so they can go. You then have a lot of options. You could go with them and just order apps and drinks. You don't have to order a full meal. And, although your dinner is scheduled around 6-7 pm, you are welcome to go back later and watch the fireworks from the observation deck later.

Or if you don't want to eat at Cali Grill, you and your DH could go to one of the lounges/bars in the MK area while your cousin's family is at CG? You will already be at Poly for O'Hana, so why not try the lounge at WL (you can take a boat from CR), Mizner's Lounge at GF or even eat at the bar at The Wave on the 1st floor of CR (food is really good!).

Why don't you let your cousin keep the reservation and you and your husband find another restaurant to eat at? Narcoossees at the GF is excellent if you like seafood. Or find another place that excites your palate for a quiet dinner for the two of you. I'm sure it's not written in stone that you have to eat every meal together.

We go to CG every trip but if the menu changes enough that I'm not excited about then I would not go again.

I 2nd the idea to let your cousin and her family dine there while you and your DH go somewhere more appealing to you both. CF is expensive and we find the portion sizes perfect for one but not to share. I would be uncomfortable paying those prices for something I didn't really want.

This is a good option, or you can go to CG with your family and just have drinks and/or appetizers(if you liked any of those choices on the menu) Alternately, you can go to CG & your cousin can pay for your meal;)

I'd be just a bit concerned about popping in at another monorail resort for a quick bite. I'm thinking during the evening dining hours that a number of the lounges may be packed with people. If you make an entirely separate ADR as suggested by Tan N Evie's Mom at least you'll have a place to go where you know you'll be seated/served.

I went there for the first time during marathon weekend. Went with some friends who are big foodies. I am not. I usually read the menu right to left (price first and then what the item is). :lmao: My favorite place at Disney is Earl. But I figured I would try something different since I was only paying for myself and not the whole family. We ended up sitting at the bar and the view was beautiful, but had to turn around to see anything. I paid $30+ for two ravioli and they were pretty good, but not worth it IMHO. I am glad I went and got to experience it, but I would not do it again. I just had a very hard time paying that much for what I got.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My DH has just been buzzing about wanting a full hot meal and not just appetisers...so there goes my idea! We might just have to book somewhere else! We want to eat at Narcoossee's, and have done for a while. It was my grandparents favourite restaurant at Disney, and my Grandfather passed away recently...so we want to go as kind of a tribute. Also, we do like the menu!

So, is it true you can't watch the fireworks from the Poly beach anymore? Do they let no one down there or do they block it off from non-guests?

And are the lounges really hopping all the time? I'm so new to some of this stuff, cuz we generally just hang around Old Key West in the evenings!

So, is it true you can't watch the fireworks from the Poly beach anymore? Do they let no one down there or do they block it off from non-guests

We stayed a week at the Poly in Dec. Unless something has changed in the last month, they were not blocking the beach off or scanning MBs or anything like that. In fact, I talked to a couple of ladies who told me they are locals and just come watch the fireworks from the beach ever so often.

However, due to the construction, views were not as good as I had hoped and they had taken down the speakers that piped the music in. Not sure how things will be in April.

On our last trip, I canceled it. There was nothing on the menu that appealed to me. We went there years ago and I remember a wonderful filet and they had wild mushroom ravioli etc. It was sooooo good. I booked it for last summer, then took a look at the menu and was like, "pass."

I believe at peak times like 4th July and New Year's Eve they do stop non guests from going onto the beach. We have been several times and not had a problem but I believe as a PP has said the construction might cause problems. We love the atmosphere of OKW but miss having a proper bar as much as the one there is good there are not enough seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter