HDDR and eating healthy

TwistGrl101

DIS Veteran
We will be trying HDDR for the first time this trip. Like other first-timers, I am a little skeptical that we are going to hate it and think it's corny. However, going by all of the amazing reviews, I hope to prove myself wrong.
I am also nervous DH will hate it because he is a health fanatic. Fried chicken and cornbread will not cut it for him. I know that most WDW restaurants accommodate to different diets, so what about HDDR? Can DH order grilled chicken as an alternative, or is there a vegetarian option? Should I note something on my reservation?

We will be trying HDDR for the first time this trip. Like other first-timers, I am a little skeptical that we are going to hate it and think it's corny. However, going by all of the amazing reviews, I hope to prove myself wrong.
I am also nervous DH will hate it because he is a health fanatic. Fried chicken and cornbread will not cut it for him. I know that most WDW restaurants accommodate to different diets, so what about HDDR? Can DH order grilled chicken as an alternative, or is there a vegetarian option? Should I note something on my reservation?

There is a vegetarian option, though I'm not sure what the dish is. Call to request it with your reservation, and then remind your server ASAP that you opted for a vegetarian option.

The meal also starts with salad, so he could request more of that and avoid the main dishes. But I think requesting a vegetarian meal would be a good idea.
We just did the HDDR last month and enjoyed it. Worth the 2 TS credits/cost, but I don't know if I need to do it again or atleast not for a long time. My father was with us for a couple days and he opted against the show, staying back in our room and getting a burger for dinner.

I think my vegetarian meal last September was grilled veggies and rice. I had to call the day before and pick what I wanted, and there were at least two options. It wasn't the most flavorful meal I've ever had, but certainly healthier than everything else sitting on the table.

The salad is delicious...DD does not like fried chicken, so she takes the skin off the breast and cuts the white meat chicken up into her salad. Along with the vegetarian option, that might be a healthier way to enjoy the meal.

The show is corny but lots of fun if you let yourself have it. Enjoy!:)

I know you're asking about info for HDDR, but Disney's Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Poly actually sounds like it might be a better fit to make everyone in your party happy. The show is much better that HDDR and they serve delicious roasted chicken and Polynesian-style grilled ribs as their meats, plus a salad, steamed veggies, fried rice, fresh pineapple, and a chocolate mousse dessert. If you have your heart set on HDDR, I'd call the dining line and request a vegetarian meal (as the others have suggested). Last October, they offered me veggie lasagna, grilled veggies (squash and onions) with rice, and a fish entree. We did both HDDR and SoA during that trip, and hands-down LOVED the luau, but hated everything served (even the salad dressing) at HDDR.

When is Disney going to get more creative than grilled veg and rice? It's not that hard. I am doing the HDDR in Sept and I am a veg. When I made the res it said a veg option is available and I just need to tell the server. No need to request it in advance. I wonder if I do request in advance if I can get something a little more interesting.

Like other first-timers, I am a little skeptical that we are going to hate it and think it's corny.

I recommended a first timer to the Hoop Dee Doo. A very conservative, very quiet, very prim woman. She called me the next morning, sang the main song and thanked me profusely.

When is Disney going to get more creative than grilled veg and rice? It's not that hard. I am doing the HDDR in Sept and I am a veg. When I made the res it said a veg option is available and I just need to tell the server. No need to request it in advance. I wonder if I do request in advance if I can get something a little more interesting.

HDDR is a set menu. You have a vegetarian option available. You can choose to have it or not.

The restaurants in general are pretty vegetarian friendly, but HDDR is a set menu so I wouldn't expect them to have the capability to whip up a special feast like you might get at Ohana. Between the salad and bread and sides, I could have had a filling meal even without the vegetarian entree.

I'd definitely make a special diet note and then let him convey his diet choices to the chef. A vegetarian option might not help, because vegetarian does NOT always mean "healthy". They might be able to prepare some steamed/grilled chicken/fish and veggies and rice for him. He definitely won't want to eat the corn bread, and even the salad is just lettuce drowned in oily vinaigrette. He'll surely want something more substantial.

DDs veg option at HDDR was mac n cheese and pbj oh and the normal kid pick sides. i guess they got it from trails end next door. We just let our server know ahead of time and thats what she brought out. im curious to see what WCC if going to offer her.

Both times I've been to HDDR as a vegetarian I've been offered a choice of 1) pasta with marinara sauce, 2) steamed veggies with baked potato, 3)roasted/grilled veggies with baked potato, or 4) a fish entree (I don't eat fish, so I don't remember the specifics).

I know it sounds pretty boring, but the roasted/grilled veggies were so good - it was probably one of my favorite meals of the trip! I got a generous serving of a variety of delicious, perfectly seasoned vegetables (portobella mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, onions, etc.). Again, I know a plate of veggies may sound boring, but these were really so flavorful and delicious - along with all the other sides, it made for an awesome meal.

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of just picking the skin off the chicken, and eating everything but the cornbread.

BUT, I am so close to canceling my ADR here because I feel like I'm throwing away park time.

We have an ADR at CRT before RD that morning, and HDDR for 5pm. I can't see us staying at MK until dinner time with 3 little ones. But if we start touring MK around 9am, leave around 1pm, get to our resort for 2pm...we have to leave our resort an hour later only to take a bus allllll the way back to MK. It just seems silly...

So torn, and we leave in a week...

Is HDDR really, really worth it to go through all this trouble?

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of just picking the skin off the chicken, and eating everything but the cornbread.

BUT, I am so close to canceling my ADR here because I feel like I'm throwing away park time.

We have an ADR at CRT before RD that morning, and HDDR for 5pm. I can't see us staying at MK until dinner time with 3 little ones. But if we start touring MK around 9am, leave around 1pm, get to our resort for 2pm...we have to leave our resort an hour later only to take a bus allllll the way back to MK. It just seems silly...

So torn, and we leave in a week...

Is HDDR really, really worth it to go through all this trouble?

I don't know the ages of your children so "it depends." We've been a couple of times. My children insisted. For many years, it was just their favorite place. The *loved* the show and, after many different restaurants and buffets during the trips, they liked the very relaxed show/dinner atmosphere. This last trip was the first year that they said they didn't need to go (they are 21 and 17 now).

My nephew went when he was 10 years old. He's now 25 and says that's still one of his most favorite things of that Disney trip. More so that the character breakfasts.

Overall, I would say it is worth it but there will always be that chance that your family may not like it that much. Not knowing you, I can't say for sure.

You can usually call ahead to order something special for someone in your party who has dietary needs, etc. That should be no problem.

And the show is VERY corny. That's what is so wonderful about it. Enjoy!

I would let them know in advance. I had a veg in my party in June and they called her the day before and gave 3 or 4 options for alternatives and her portion was HUGE! She chose the veggie and pasta option, but they gave her more choices than that. The chef came by before just to double check everything. I love the show and definitely would do it again, even with its extreme cheese factor :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter