Hawaiian wedding, Disneyland & 4/1/12 MR Wonder cruise- finished 5/14 !

mom2aidanNpiper

DIS Veteran

INDEX AT THE BOTTOM :)

Hi everyone! This is my first time doing a trip report on here on the boards, but I've been on the DIS for a couple years now. Anyway, this is a long trip ahead- 5 days in Hawaii, cpl days in Disneyland, our Mexican Rivieria cruise and a cpl more days in Disneyland.

Ok! Let me introduce myself- I am Jess known here on the DIS as mom2aidanNpiper. I am super type-A and love to plan trips (ok, plan anything), live in Seattle as a single mom (full custody and zero contact from my kids' dad), I'm a nanny currently, a cancer survivor and love bad reality tv. I am getting married to my high school friend Matt. We weren't really close back then, but we did go to prom together:) We reconnected after losing touch for more than 10 years. We started dating soon after, then got engaged last January and are getting married this March!

Here I am with my fiance/turning husband Matt at Palo last year:

196703_10150105808647221_748157220_6081798_4413512_n.jpg

My kids are Aidan (DS 10, turning 11 on this trip) and Piper (DD will have just turned 7). Aidan is a sweet kid, has Aspergers and loves Legos and Star Wars. Piper is super shy until you get to know her, takes ballet, loves American Girl dolls and is 1/2 girly, 1/2 completely insane:)

Here are my kids!
392687_10150359965037221_748157220_7884309_562559472_n.jpg
282097_10150259209247221_748157220_7202570_230198_n.jpg

Also included in this trip (read more to find out how) is my best friend Sarah- known on the DIS as SarahMarie. We have been best friends since high school and she has been there for me through everything:) She is like a second mom to my kids and this trip wouldn't be possible without her! Here we are on her birthday this last summer:

1308107589940.jpg

Here is an index of the TR so far:
How we came to plan:
Pre trip Stress:
Day 1- Made it to Hawaii!
Day 2- Diamond Head, Aulani and our bungalow in Haleiwa
Day 3- Our wedding day!
Day 4- Makapuu point and LOST tour
Day 5- Mokuleia Beach, Byodo-In Temple and last night in Hawaii
Review of DCL Oahu activities that we did on our own
Day 6- Travel day! Leaving Hawaii and off to Disneyland!
Day 7- PART 1 - Disneyland Honeymoon photoshootDay 7- PART 2- Disneyland and DCA!
Day 8- PART 1- Disneyland morning of the cruise!
Day 8- PART 2- Boarding the Wonder!
Day 8- PART 3- Night 1 of the cruise
Day 9- PART 1 - Cruise day 2 Navigators
Day 9 - PART 2 - Cruise day 2!
Day 10- PART -1 Cruise day 3 Navigators
Day 10- PART 2 - Cruise day 3
Day 11- PART 1 - Cruise day 4 - PV Navigators
Day 11- PART 2- Cruise day 4 - Puerto Vallarta
Day 11- PART 3 - Cruise Day 4- Puerto Vallarta cont Day 12- PART 1- Cruise day 5 Cabo Navgators
Day 12- PART 2- Cruise day 5 - Cabo!
Day 13- PART 1- Cruise day 6 Cabo day 2 Navigators
Day 13- PART 2- Cruise day 6- Cabo 2nd day
Day 14- PART 1- cruise day 7- Navigators
Day 14- PART 2- cruise day 7- last day at sea!
Day 15- Leaving the Cruise & off to Disneyland!
Day 16- Disneyland & home to Seattle!

So, now that intros are out of the way, here's how we came to be on this trip!

After my 2010 DCL Bahamas and WDW trip I booked onboard our 2011 MR trip but included Matt in the mix this time (our first family trip). A couple months before the cruise Matt proposed (he later told me he wanted to wait until the cruise but he couldn't wait). Once onboard we decided we would book a dummy date for our honeymoon (since we still weren't sure of our wedding plans).

We got home, and when it came to the wedding we felt really strongly about a destination private wedding. Matt and I have never had any "alone" time without my kids in the mix. We talked to Aidan and Piper about it and they didn't care one way or another if they attended the ceremony, as long as they got to celebrate with us in some way. So that's how we came to plan the first week of our weddingmoon! 5 days in Hawaii, just us :love: We are getting married in Oahu and staying in a private bungalow on the North Shore. Our ceremony will be at Turtle Bay Resort. We can't wait to spend so much time together alone! Hiking, good food, museums, etc. We also plan to check out Aulani to see what we think- we are hoping for an anniversary trip next spring with the kids there.

Here is our bungalow we are staying at-we are in the far right one up high. Also, the view from the porch, and inside one of the rooms (it's a 3 room bungalow)
tb15.jpg
tb16.jpg
tb18.jpg

So, since we decided to get away by ourselves, the next problem was what to do with the kids. In comes Sarah :) She is my best friend since high school who has basically helped raise my kids with me. She is so wonderfully going to stay at my house with the kids for the 5 days- take them to/from school, help with homework, etc. We could not do this trip without her- she is prob the only one in our lives that understand the special needs that Aidan has, and can tolerate Piper's moodiness :)

So after we settled on that part of the trip, next up was planning our kid friendly part. This part was fun! My kids are Disney fans, and love to cruise. The timing and the cost made it pretty easy to decide to do another MR cruise out of LA. Even though we did it a year ago, we will do all new things in port, and honestly my kids just like being onboard. We decided to take Sarah along for this portion as well and she is in a cabin a cpl doors down from us. The kids will sleep in her room, but during the day we plan to trade off as much as possible so everyone can have a break (assuming the kids aren't in the clubs). We booked 2 category 5B cabins on deck 6, midship. Matt and I are so excited to get some privacy on this cruise. I've only done 2 DCL cruises before, but still have never ventured to the adult pools, or any of the bars. Can't wait!

So because we are going to be in CA, of course we need to do Disneyland! So the kids are flying down on Friday March 30th with Sarah to meet us in Anaheim (Matt and I land earlier from Oahu that day). We rented points to stay in a 1 bedroom DVC villa at the Grand. So exciting! We stayed at the Grand last year, but in a standard room. Hopefully it will save us some dining costs as we can make food in the kitchen there. I'm also looking forward to the jetted tub in the master suite after a day at the parks:cloud9:

disneygrandvilla3.jpg

roomlayout_onebedroom.jpg

grandcal5.jpg

Matt and I will do the parks before Sarah and the kids get there, then we will all do the parks the next day. Also, that next morning Matt and I have hired Sarina Love photography to do a fun honeymoon photo shoot in the parks. She was recently featured on Disney's Ever After blog here: http://disneyweddingsblog.com/disneyland-resort/3582/

We also plan to do the parks the next morning before the cruise, as well as the day of disembark (we are staying at hojos though for that night)

Anyway, thanks for reading! That's how we came to decide on our trip details :cool1:

Sounds like an amazing few weeks!! DH and I stayed a Turtle Bay a few years ago- amazing!!!:thumbsup2

Sounds fantastic! Congrats on the wedding...can't wait to hear all about it.

Jill in CO

imo, BEAUTIFUL!!:love:

The Property's grounds are just spacious -

Enjoy!! Can't wait to hear more -popcorn::

T.T.F.N.

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding! Your trip sounds amazing! I can't wait to read all about it! :goodvibes

Yay! You started a trip report! I’m still trying to decide if I want to do one. When I’m on vacation, I always intend to journal – but then seem to never get around to it, so if I’m planning to do a TR, that would provide motivation for me to keep track of things that we’re doing. It would also help give me a head start with scrapbooking – I’d have the list of things we did, and some of the best pictures picked out.

I have done trip blogs though before so if you want to take a look at my last 2 trips with pics click here: (note, the blogs work backward to forward so you will need to click on the days in order on the right side)

2011 Disneyland and MR wonder cruise- celebrating our engagement as a family! http://ouradventuresasafoursome.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=12

2010 Single mom trip - Bahama Wonder cruise, Disney World and Wizarding World of Harry Potter!http://ouradventuresasafoursome.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=13

I just re-read all your blog entries - makes me even more excited for this trip, and makes me want to go to WDW. Someday…

Also included in this trip (read more to find out how) is my best friend Sarah- known on the DIS as SarahMarie. We have been best friends since high school and she has been there for me through everything:) She is like a second mom to my kids and this trip wouldn't be possible without her! Here we are on her birthday this last summer:

1308107589940.jpg

That's me! Still only vaguely remember having this picture taken...

Day 6: Leave Hawaii, fly to LAX. Disneyland! My kids and Sarah will fly and meet us at the Grand Californian (renting a DVC one bedroom villa)

Can’t wait! Disneyland will be fun – it’s been too long since I’ve been there. It doesn’t seem very fair that you’ve been to both WDW and DL since I last went with you. :( Although I guess I shouldn’t really complain given the vacations I HAVE been on since DL in 2009. And the DVC villa should be super nice – thanks for splurging - since if I was traveling by myself, there’s no way I’d be willing to pay for it :)

Day 8: Disneyland in the AM and the head to San Pedro! Board our 3rd Disney cruise. The kids are staying in Sarah's room, so Matt and I can enjoy our honeymoon :love:

What? You didn’t want the kids in a room with you on your honeymoon? :confused3 Glad you made that decision – since it gave me a reason to come along :goodvibes

Day 9: Sea Day (Palo tea)

Looking forward to the tea! It’ll be nice to have time with just the two of us :)

So, since we decided to get away by ourselves, the next problem was what to do with the kids. In comes Sarah :) She is my best friend since high school who has basically helped raise my kids with me. She is so wonderfully going to stay at my house with the kids for the 5 days- take them to/from school, help with homework, etc. We could not do this trip without her- she is prob the only one in our lives that understand the special needs that Aidan has, and can tolerate Piper's moodiness :)
Ahhh, :thanks: for the nice things you said about me! :blush:

We decided to take Sarah along for this portion as well and she is in a cabin a cpl doors down from us. The kids will sleep in her room, but during the day we plan to trade off as much as possible so everyone can have a break (assuming the kids aren't in the clubs).

Getting a break from the kids a bit will be nice…but I’m looking forward to having fun with them on vacation as well :) And probably having some good one-on-one time with P while Aidan is in the clubs.

We booked 2 category 5B cabins on deck 6, midship.
Yay for a verandah! This first cruise for me may ruin me for the future…I’m guessing I won’t ever want anything less than a verandah again.

So it’s been about a month since I posted first and thought I would check in since we leave in 9 days!!

I am trying to stay super positive and not stressed but it isn’t easy… I have SO many things to do this week!

Some of the big things I have conquered this week: altering my wedding dress myself, addressing/stamping all our wedding announcements, creating a master packing list, buying all the little things we need for our trip.
Some of the big things I still need to do: finish our Ridemax touring plans for Disneyland, 2 more hair and makeup trials (yes I’m doing my own wedding hair/makeup, plus hair and makeup for our Disneyland honeymoon shoot), get all my legal documents in order for Sarah so she can travel with my kids from Seattle to Anaheim, PACK!!!!!

There are about 20 other things I didn’t even mention. Lol. It isn’t helping that I am having medical issues (Meniere’s disease) which is highly triggered by stress for me. Typically it’s just headaches and ringing ears but this week I am having vertigo as well. Not helpful when I am trying to be productive! I found though that sea bands work really well for me right now so I am walking around looking like a want-to-be-punk-rocker with sweat bands on my wrists :rotfl:

On another note- I am OBSESSING over the weather… the forecast is up for the entire time we are in Hawaii (March 25-30), granted it can and will change so it’s making me a little crazy. So far its looking sunny (it wasn’t before) which I am thankful for since it’s been super rainy there lately. I have been looking for some rainy beach wedding photography inspiration though just in case:) Anaheim is looking good too! Last time we were there it rained, which I actually liked cause it kept the crowds away. I think I am ok with any kind of weather those days. Mexico is looking hot! No surprise though!

Anyway, thanks for reading everyone, it’s been a busy month for me getting everything ready. Plus it was Piper’s birthday this last week. She is now 7! Here is a pic of her at her party
piperbday1.jpg

piperbday2.jpg

I will try and post once more before we go!

Congrats on your wedding. My husband and I are on the cruise the week before you for our wedding anniversary. We also got married on March 27th! It is a good day for a wedding. :lovestruc

Yay! An update! Not that I don't get them in person, but it's fun to read too :)

Some of the big things I still need to do: finish our Ridemax touring plans for Disneyland, 2 more hair and makeup trials (yes I’m doing my own wedding hair/makeup, plus hair and makeup for our Disneyland honeymoon shoot), get all my legal documents in order for Sarah so she can travel with my kids from Seattle to Anaheim, PACK!!!!!
I'd been meaning to ask if you'd ever gotten all the paperwork for me finished & notarized. Weren't you going to do that like 2 weeks ago? :confused3 As long as it's done before you leave we'll be good.

There are about 20 other things I didn’t even mention. Lol. It isn’t helping that I am having medical issues (Meniere’s disease) which is highly triggered by stress for me. Typically it’s just headaches and ringing ears but this week I am having vertigo as well. Not helpful when I am trying to be productive! I found though that sea bands work really well for me right now so I am walking around looking like a want-to-be-punk-rocker with sweat bands on my wrists :rotfl:
Glad the sea bands are helping!

We are on the same cruise! I can't believe it's 2 weeks away! Congrats on your wedding and enjoy the alone time. It's our first Disney cruise so we are super excited. :cool1: I have learned so much from reading these trip reports!

Stacy

Oh yeah! Try to relax and enjoy this time!

I'm trying! :) A lot will get donw this weekend and then we pack on Wednesday (mine and Matt's mutual day off from work so it will be perfect to get it done while kids are in school). We chose to to have a private wedding to avoid stress- and it has been mostly stress free. I knew this last week would be nuts though. 16 days gone and 3 different destinations is a lot of things to keep track of! Thanks for the positive message!

We are on the same cruise! I can't believe it's 2 weeks away! Congrats on your wedding and enjoy the alone time. It's our first Disney cruise so we are super excited. :cool1: I have learned so much from reading these trip reports!

Stacy

Can't wait to meet all of you on onboard! Trip reports and the DISboards are so helpful- I would have been lost my first cruise without all the great info on here:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter