Hawaiian Vacation

lovetheprincesses

Mouseketeer
Okay, beginning to plan our first trip to Hawaii. Very early stages. Where should we stay? What should we do while there? How long did you stay if you've been? Is it easy to travel from one island to another?

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon back in 1994. We just went to the island of Oahu and was there for 7 days. We found plenty to do, and felt no need to go to another island. There is all sorts of things to do there, Pearl Harbor, Punch Bowl, Diamond Head, Dole Plantation, Luau (sp), we took a tour, and then rented a car for a couple days and drove around the island and took in the different beaches. Oahu is very commercialized and if you want laid back.........Honolulu probably isnt the place for you.

Having done that tho, when we went back in Sept 2008 with extended family, we didnt feel the need to go back to Oahu except some hadnt been there, so we went for a couple days to do PH, and Punchbowl, and rented a limo to take us around the island and then left for Maui.

Altogether we were gone 12 days. Stayed 3 in Oahu and the rest in Maui. Rented from vrbo.com while we were in Maui and that was nice. Had a beach literally to ourselves about 40 ft from our condo. We also didnt go out to eat much, but rather had meals at the condo.

I think we got a one way flight from Oahu to Maui for 60.00, but I think normally it is more than that.

If you have questions, I will try to answer them. Also tripadvisor was a good source of info. for us.

WOW, thanks for the great information! Okay, I would love to see PH and the other places you mentioned. I couldn't believe that you can actually stay at the Waikiki sp? Sheraton for $100 LESS than the POly garden view!! If you think of any other information you'd like to share, bring it on! Thank you! I'm reading on the internet now. How far in advance did you begin planning and book?

Go to the book store, or the library and pick up Fodors or Frommers and see which islands you would like to see first. I plan a year in advance because we use frequent flyer miles and that is what is 'required'. I decide how many days in Hawaii, 17 the last time, and attempt to get tickets into one island and out of another. Its not always easy with free tickets. Then we decide which islands, how much time for what we want to do, and then plan from there. When you decide which islands, the "blue books" from www.wizardpub.com are wonderful. Lots of details. You can also access their hotel and condo reviews on line now without a password. I love "talk" at www.fodors.com. There is a lot of info on Hawaii that has already been posted, and then you can ask away if you have any other specific questions.

We just had to postpone our March trip to Hawaii (first trip for both DH and I) - DD was in an accident and we had to move her and DGrD home for 3 months. I'll be interested in hearing any answers you get - we are hoping now to make our trip the last 2 weeks of Sept.- know we will miss the whales, but can't go any later in the year and don't want to wait until next year.

The one thing I can recommend is that you get the "*each island* Revealed" books - they are loaded with info - the kids also gave DH the Hawaii for Dummies book and we used that a lot, too.

We have friends who retired to the big island and will be ending our trip with a few days there to see them - we are soooo excited!!

Here is what we know we want to do (many of our family were there 2 years ago). Polynesian Cultural Center and a trip up the North shore on Oahu to see the surfers - a few snorkel days, sunrise on Haleakala - sunset and star gazing on Mona Kea, hike Volcano Nat'l Park - helicopter trips on Kauai and Hawaii. Our family members warned against the climb up Diamond Head - we're a bit older and my sis said the view was gorgeous, but the climb almost killed them!;) :lmao:

Trying to be optimistic about the trip delay, I am going to practice my snorkeling skills in the pool all summer - I'm not a very good swimmer.

Hope we get lots of advice!!

Question for you...are you taking kids with you or is this just an adult trip? We have been to Hawaii many times and will be going this summer for 2 weeks (one week in Maui and one week on Oahu). We stay at our timeshare at Ko Olina on Oahu and love the laid back feeling there. We rent a car and go all over the island (and we bring our two kids who are now 10 & 6). There is a public beach up north with the nickname of Turtle Beach (not to be confused with Turtle Bay) b/c of all the sea turtles that come up to the beach. We saw and swam with so many, it was incredible. We usually do Hanamu (sp?) Bay as well for a day of snorkling. There is always so much you can do there, but you can just lie on the beach if you want as well. We got a great flight from Maui to Oahu for $38 each way, so that is a pretty good price. We have been to Kaui once when our kids were 9 months old and 4, and did not like it as much as the other islands. We stayed up in the Princeville area and found we had to drive everywhere to get to some decent beaches. Not as much to do there (and this is just my opinion!) I know others love it, so everyone needs to make their own decision about it. I haven't been to Maui for a long time, but I know I really enjoyed it when I went last. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

I just want to echo PP's suggestions about the Revealed/"Blue Book" guidebooks. They are really great and include a lot information that isn't provided in most of the other typical guide books.

As you can imagine, each of the islands offer different things. I agree with jstbcuz that Oahu is very commercialized. I felt like we were more in Los Angeles than in HI when we were Honolulu. We spend most of our time on Kauai which I find is extremely laid back. And that's not always a good thing. lol I find that it usually takes me a day or two to wind down and acclimate myself to the pace of life on Kauai. :sunny: So as already suggested in this thread, figure which island(s) are best suited to your family's idea of the perfect vacation, then go from there!

We are actually going in May, so I have not been yet but I can tell you what we are planning...

A week in Waikiki, staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village condos in a 2 BR (we are spoiled by DVC!), then we are going to the Big Island (5 days) to see the volcanoes. We are renting a house there from www.homeaway.com (like vrbo.com, but a friendlier website, IMHO). In Oahu we are planning Pearl Harbor, a "submarine" ride to see fish (easier for the kids than snorkeling), the Polynesian Cultural Center, beach time, etc. On the Big Island, we want to do at least one, maybe two days at Volcano National Park, then maybe Kona for a day. We are not sure if we are renting a car in Oahu (we are there for a conference, so many of our "planned" activities might be with the conference, in which we would take their transportation), it depends on how much solo time we have (not sure yet) but we definitely need one on the Big Island.

I agree the "---Revealed" blue books are very informative. Happy planning, I can't wait!

Also, another tip: we originally booked the hotel in the fall. Since then, we have kept an eye on prices and they have dropped. So, be sure you can cancel and rebook your reservation. We did, and I will continue to monitor the price!

We love Kauai and the beaches are beautiful but having said that, there are other things about Kauai that are even more outstanding. We loved hiking the Kalalau Trail. We went about two miles in from Ke'e Beach and it is just beautiful. We loved the bird sanctuary at the Kilauea Light House. Waimea Canyon, kayaking on the river, searching for heiues, a sunset cruise on the north shore, the tree tunnel in Poipu. Hawaii and Kauai are so much more than beaches.

P8140326.jpg

P8140337.jpg

P8140347.jpg

P8150362.jpg

P8120213-1.jpg

Lovely pictures, Dawn. Really nice. Especially on this icy, cold day!

awww Dawn that last picture is killing me. We've always stayed in the South Shore but made it up to Kee Beach last time. What a great view, and has made us consider the North Shore next trip.

The islands are all very different so chose based on what your level of activity will be. You also need to choose how much you are willing to spend. We've spent $89 a night in a B+B in Kona to almost $700 a night for the 4Seasons on the Big Island (which was worth every penny.)

If you snorkel - its a real kick to stay at the Sheraton in Maui - walk out your door onto the beach into the water and swim with the honu (sea turtles)

We did not like Waikiki at all but Pearl Harbor was something everyone should see if they have the chance.

It easy to island hop but it does take up a chunck of your day so plan accordingly. If you come from the East coast a min of 8-10 days would be best (the first two are spent kind of in a daze)

Kauai is our favorite, so beautiful, Maui is getting a little bit too crowded and we just scraped the surface of the Big Island. I cant wait to get back.....

We love Kauai and the beaches are beautiful but having said that, there are other things about Kauai that are even more outstanding. We loved hiking the Kalalau Trail. We went about two miles in from Ke'e Beach and it is just beautiful. We loved the bird sanctuary at the Kilauea Light House. Waimea Canyon, kayaking on the river, searching for heiues, a sunset cruise on the north shore, the tree tunnel in Poipu. Hawaii and Kauai are so much more than beaches.

P8140347.jpg

I have this same picture! I really felt this spot was very powerful....you could feel how it was sacred to them.

Anyways, I haven't read the entire thread, but if no one's mentioned it, my vote is to watch the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala (Maui). It's the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life. If you decide to go though, be sure to take warm clothes - it tends to get very cold up there!!

As was already mentioned, you don't want to do too many islands unless you are planning a long stay. It does take time to check out, travel and check back in to another hotel. You don't want to spend half of your vacation in airports and hotel lobbies.
If you have never been to Hawaii, you should probably include Oahu, even if you only have time for one island. This has many of the tourist spots that many people talk about. Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, and The Arizona Memorial, to name a few. On a return trip, you may decide to skip Oahu and the crowds in favor of one of the less populated islands. two years ago we choose 4 days on Oahu and 5 on Maui. This year, we're planning 4 days on Kauai and 6 on Maui.

Nothing can beat the DIS for information about WDW and DLR. I've found similar information about Hawaii on the following board:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28932-i36-Hawaii.html

Dawn
Thanks for the pictures
They are beautiful
When DVC in HI opens, I want to go.

I have this same picture! I really felt this spot was very powerful....you could feel how it was sacred to them.

Anyways, I haven't read the entire thread, but if no one's mentioned it, my vote is to watch the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala (Maui). It's the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life. If you decide to go though, be sure to take warm clothes - it tends to get very cold up there!!

I agree with you. I love Hawaiian history because it feels like it all took place "yesterday". If you get a chance, on the Big Island behind the Kings Plaza in Waikaloa, there are lots of petroglyphs. One of my most memorable experiences EVER was the mule ride down to Kalaupapa Leper Colony on Moloka'i. Sheriff Richard Marks, who has been a patient there since his teen years, gave the tour. We saw Fa. Damien's Grave, the Church, St. Philomena that he built, where Mother Marianne Cope worked. I bought a couple of books while I was there and was so intrigued that I came home a bought several more. It was extremely moving, standing among over 6,000 unmarked graves of those, whose only crime was to contract leprosy. King David Kalakaua did what he thought was in the best interest of the Hawaiian people but I am sure it broke his heart. The patients were "paroled" (not discharged) in the 60's, but by then many were allowed to leave after have clear skin tests. Hansen's Disease is curable now, and we no longer isolate anyone with Hansens. There are still around 30 residents that live there however because it is the only home they have known. It had a haunted feeling, quiet, beautiful, but a gilded cage is still a prison.

Dawn, those pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Now, can I just say I'm jealous? :rotfl: My 89 year old Grandma says of all the places she's traveled to, Hawaii is her favorite!

We love Kauai

:thumbsup2

There are so many things to do on all the islands - volcano national park on the Big Island is great as well as the rain forests there as is PH, diamond head, north shore and hunami (sp) bay on oahu. There's so much to do and see, you'll never see it all. Kauai is our fav though. Just so laid back

My husband and I were in Maui exactly one year ago, and how I wish we were back there now!! This was our first trip to Hawaii and we fell in love with Maui. It is very non-commercialized and such a beautiful island. Probably one of my favorite things was the whale watching. We were actually able to see the whales from the balcony in our room and then went on an excursion that put us very close and personal to them. The Road to Hana was a great (but not for those with motion sickness) and we got some beautiful pictures. We stayed in Wailea which is a pretty quiet area of the island. Some people on our trip have rented places in the past through "vrbo" and have had really good luck and have gotten some great deals as well. I just received an email last week for flights to Maui for around $600.00 per person only 1 stop, which I didn't think was too bad. Good luck with planning and make sure to try the Maui Gold pineapple.

We were in Maui this past October/November, and split our trip between two places. We stayed the first week at a privately owned condo that we found on vrbo.com, and it was beautiful! It was ridiculously cheap (for Hawaii) and right on Ka'anapali Beach. The second week we stayed at Marriot Maui Ocean Club and it was spectacular! We absolutely loved both places.

The last time we went to Hawaii we went to 3 islands in 2 weeks. It was wonderful, but we felt we spent an awful lot of time sitting in airports, getting to airports, returning and picking up rental cars, etc. We honestly wasted probably 2 full days of vacation doing that. I probably wouldn't do that again.

Having said that, the big island and Maui are our favorites, Oahu we probably will not go back to. Once you've seen Pearl Harbor, there isn't much else there that is "not to be missed", in my opinion anyway.

If you want info on the condo we rented, let me know! It was a BARGAIN--penthouse unit on the beach for about $130/night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter