Hawaii Questions

deerh

DIS Veteran
Looking at maybe going to Hawaii on exchange/concierge in 2005.
Several questions to ask:
1-how far out should you book for concierge to get the room?
2-With Kapalua Bay, do you get the hotel room or the villa with DVC?
3-How about Mauna Lani, same question, do we get a hotel room or the Kitchen setup?
4-Which one for anniversary (number 25), Hawaii, or Maui or Kanai? Which island is the best for BEACHES!
5-If exchanging in II, do we actually get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom with kitchen,etc or hotel room?
6-I was told by MS, they do a search, then if something comes in, I have 48 hrs to book. I DO NOT lose pts until I commit to the pts, is this true?
7-How close does the "match" come in for all the above?
Is it 5/15 days for the concierge and 3-6 mos before we go on II?
Looking at the timeframe of when the matches will come in..
Been reading other posts about Hawaii, just a little confused/nervous, never been to Hawaii, just thinking of a NICE place with BEACH and GOLF as well. (gotta play golf in Hawaii to say I have played golf in Hawaii). Golfers will understand......
Thanks
DeerH

deerh,

I am new to DVC so I can not help with most of your questions, but I have been to Hawaii several times (Maui and Oahu mostly) and I also enjoy golf. In Maui, I have played at Kaanapali, where they usually have a Senior Tour event their every year, so the course is always in good shape. There are several other courses in the vicinity that are nice as well. With Hawaii, there are a lot of very beautiful courses, but it can get windy (especially in the afternoons)!!

As far as which island to go to, it depends on what you are looking to do. Pretty much anywhere you go will be romantic (since this is for an anniversary), but between Kaui and Maui, Kaui is more tropical looking and more laid back than Maui (not that Maui is hustle and bustle, but Maui is more laid back than say Oahu).

Hope this little bit helps.:cool: :cool: :cool:

by sinfam:As far as which island to go to, it depends on what you are looking to do. Pretty much anywhere you go will be romantic (since this is for an anniversary), but between Kaui and Maui, Kaui is more tropical looking and more laid back than Maui (not that Maui is hustle and bustle, but Maui is more laid back than say Oahu).

Yes, this helps, thanks, still wondering about the other questions,
however. Thanks for the help!!
DeerH

Looking at maybe going to Hawaii on exchange/concierge in 2005.
Several questions to ask:
1-how far out should you book for concierge to get the room?
2-With Kapalua Bay, do you get the hotel room or the villa with DVC?
3-How about Mauna Lani, same question, do we get a hotel room or the Kitchen setup?
4-Which one for anniversary (number 25), Hawaii, or Maui or Kanai? Which island is the best for BEACHES!
5-If exchanging in II, do we actually get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom with kitchen,etc or hotel room?
6-I was told by MS, they do a search, then if something comes in, I have 48 hrs to book. I DO NOT lose pts until I commit to the pts, is this true?
7-How close does the "match" come in for all the above?
Is it 5/15 days for the concierge and 3-6 mos before we go on II?
Looking at the timeframe of when the matches will come in..
Been reading other posts about Hawaii, just a little confused/nervous, never been to Hawaii, just thinking of a NICE place with BEACH and GOLF as well. (gotta play golf in Hawaii to say I have played golf in Hawaii). Golfers will understand......

We have never booked concierge collection, so I can't answer that, but we have done an exchange to Kona Coast II resort last year. It cost FAR less points than a concierge collection hotel room, and we had the advantage of the kitchen and all the amenities of the 1 bedroom. When you do an II exchange, you will get either a 1 or 2 bedroom depending on what you want and what the search brings up. To have the best chance, keep your dates and size of accomodations open. We gave a range of January-May in either a 1 or 2 bedroom exchange for ANY island. We were hoping for either Kauai or Hawaii, since those are our favorites. We got Hawaii, and Kona, which is also our favorite. Because we took the 1 bedroom with 2 baths, it only cost us 160 points.

As to Hawaii...We have been there many times, and prefer Hawaii (the Big Island) to the others, with Kauai and Maui close second and third. We usually add a couple days on Oahu to do the historic sites etc. and to adjust to the time change.

Feel free to PM me if you have other Hawaii questions.

I forgot to add that we started our II search 2 years out, but it came through in just 5 days!!! DVC trades well into Hawaii!

dianeschlich,

Is the 2 year thing a good idea (just like the 11 month home resort issue in DVC)? I'm asking because I thought I read somewhere that it may not get a match until much closer to your travel time (like 5 or 6 months out) because you have to wait for someone to report to II that they are giving up their week. I originally assumed that 2 years out would be the best thing to do though so I'm glad to hear from someone that did just that and had immediate success!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Originally posted by deerh
You actually get a 1BR or 2BR. At two of the better II resorts — Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and Marriott's Kauai Beach Club — the kitchens are not full kitchens, but they'e perfectly adequate if you don't plan to cook or bake (except in the microwave). Because these two resorts are converted hotels, each condo has an extra bathroom, off the living room. So a 1BR has 2 bathrooms, and a 2BR has 3 bathrooms. When traveling with kids, that's better than having a stove or oven.

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club:
marmauikitchen.jpg

Marriott's Kauai Beach Club:
markauaikitchen.jpg

Both kitchens come with dishes, flatware, and various containers. In Kauai, these items are around the corner in the closet.

Also, the two Marriott resorts have great pools. The pool in Kauai is huge. The pool in Maui has a fun water slide.

There are two other Marriott Vacation Club resorts in Hawaii. These are brand new and are "purpose built" — not converted from hotels — with condos similar to those at the newer DVC resorts. Ko Olina on Oahu has studios, 1BR and 2BR condos. Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club at Poipu (Kauai) has only 2BR condos.

The downside to Marriott is that there's a strong demand for exchanges into the Marriott Vacation Club resorts in Hawaii from Marriott owners — who have a priority over other exchangers.

Both Kapalua and Mauna Lani are hotel, not kitchen set-ups. (Kapalua villas are big and wonderful--wish they were on the trade list! We've rented there before.) Both Kapalua and Mauna Lani are gorgeous if you are ok with no kitchen. Kapalua golf course is one of the most spectacular in Hawaii, maybe the world. Maui is noted for its beaches. It is also becoming very busy, but if you stay at Kapalua you are in a quiet area only a few miles from the Lahaina/Kaanapali resort area where there are tons of restaurants, shops, etc. (Marriott is on Kaanapali beach.) Kona Coast is MUCH closer to the action than Mauna Lani, which is meant as more of a destination in itself. Big Island has lots of different topography, nice beaches also, but not nearly as many as Maui. Kauai has some rainy areas (Princeville, e.g., where the fantastic golf is). Poipu is the sunniest part of Kauai, maybe 12 or so miles south of Kauai Marriott. All 3 islands have beautiful scenery, each with some things unique. Don't know when you will go, but whale watching (especially on Maui) from Jan. - Apr. is mesmerizing. Good luck. Wherever you stay you will be wanting to return again and again.

Thanks for the pics Werner! Nice job, but they look like studios...
Not exactly what I had envisioned.... Thanks for all the help. We MAY go in Nov or in the summer. Is the summer unbearble with the heat? Or is it the same weather yr round, with trade winds,etc?
Of the places we can trade, which is the best? Kona, on Maui: Kaanapali Keys, Marriott ocean club, maui schooner resort, Sands of Kahana Vac Club. I was on the II site, and some of these places look VERY dated, aka OLD, and was wondering, these are 5 star resort places?? I know I am looking at 2 diff Islands, just wondering where would I get "my biggest bang for the points?" as Clark Howard would say?
Thanks all you Hawaii experts.. Appreciate the help.
DeerH

Thanks for the pics Werner! Nice job, but they look like studios...
Not exactly what I had envisioned....
The pictures are only meant to show that the kitchens at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and Marriott's Kauai Beach Club are limited — they're somewhere between a full kitchen and a studio kitchenette.

Otherwise, 1BR and 2BR units at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and Marriott's Kauai Beach Club are really quite spacious. 1BR units were converted from two hotel rooms. 2BR units were converted from three hotel rooms. (That's why there's a extra bathroom.)

By the way, another way that the Marriott Vacation Club resorts in Hawaii are different than Disney Vacation Club resorts is that they don't have in-room washers and dryers in the 1BR and 2BR units (except at Marriott's Ko Olina).

Hawaii on the concierge level:
More Hawaii questions! How do the Kapaula Bay Hotel and Mauna Lani Bay Hotels rate in Hawaii experts eyes? I have read there reports on respective websites, and they look great. THE question- When we exchange into those properties, we get a BASIC hotel room, correct? Or something along the lines of Werner's pictures? I know, I know, more points, but just wanted to know what type room do you get? I have read they are nice properties! Any opinions?
Thanks again
DeerH

Our Kapalua Bay hotel was ocean view, very large with a HUGE bathroom (separate bath and shower, 2 separate vanities) and large sliding louvered doors to the lanai. I loved the room. Our Mauna Lani room was partial ocean view, also very nice but not as large as Kapalua. Mauna Lani has a more modern feel to it, Kapalua a more traditional island feel, IMHO. Both have lovely lobbies (Kapalua open to the ocean, Mauna Lani a river running through it). Grounds are wonderful on both properties. Mauna Lani especially has historic, extensive grounds for exploring. Sidenote: Kapalua charged for use of umbrella/lounges, Mauna Lani did not. Kapalua was doing a lot of adding, refurbishing when we were there 2 years ago, so it should be finished by now. I would stay at either place again in a heartbeat. I repeat from previous post one caveat: Mauna Lani is NOT close to a lot of action. If you seek many restaurants, shopping, clubs, etc, you will have to drive to Kona (25 miles??) Kapalua is quiet but a short drive to lots of activity.

More Hawaii questions! How do the Kapalua Bay Hotel and Mauna Lani Bay Hotels rate in Hawaii experts eyes? I have read there reports on respective websites, and they look great. THE question- When we exchange into those properties, we get a BASIC hotel room, correct? Or something along the lines of Werner's pictures?
Do you prefer to stay in a deluxe hotel room with twice-daily maid service, a choice of high-end restaurants, and a high level of personal service?

Or do you prefer to stay in a condo with that's like a 1- or 2-bedroom deluxe apartment — where you have a kitchen, you make your own beds, and you have lots of room and privacy?

Essentially, the Concierge Collection gives you the former, and "World Passport Collection" Interval International (II) exchanges give you the latter.

I'm not sure that I would use the term "BASIC hotel room" to describe the guest rooms at the Kapalua Bay Hotel and the Mauna Lani Resort. Yes, they're hotel rooms, not condos, but they're undoubtedly large and well appointed. The point chart gives you a choice of garden view, partial ocean view, or ocean view for each of the hotels. Needless to say, the point cost goes up as the view improves.

Take a look at the following sites for more details about these hotels:

Kapalua Bay Hotel: http://www.kapaluabayhotel.com/

Mauna Lani Resort: http://www.maunalani.com/

We've never stayed at or even visted the Kapalua Bay or Mauna Lani, but they both enjoy excellent reputations.

We have stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, Kona Coast Resort I, and the Embassy Vacation Resort at Poipu (and at various hotels on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island). We would gladly stay at the two Marriott properties again. They combine many of the best qualities of a hotel and a timeshare resort — in a similar way as BWV, BCV, or VWL. The Kona Coast Resort was a disappointment, but we really liked the Big Island of Hawaii, and we would stay there again if we didn't have a better choice. We felt that the Embassy on Poipu really missed the mark; we would not stay there again.

I just got back from a 12 night stay at Kapalua and if there's a more perfect spot to have a romantic vacation, I don't know where it is. (Took my daughter & grandchildren, so not much romance on this trip). Kapalua is absolutely beautiful and totally relaxing. We visited several other hotels (and stayed at Grand Wailea for 3 nights) and (although beautiful in design and landscaping) they are more like high-rise, side-by-side on the beach kinds of places. Think Miami Beach. Kapalua, on the other hand, seems really isolated with acres of beautifully landscaped grounds and lots of open space. They are only 4 units high, and spread out over quite a bit of land, so you never feel crowded. The beach has some of the best snorkling, and the pool is on the quiet side. We never had a problem getting pool or beach chairs. The hotel is relatively small, so we never felt crowded. There isn't any charge for chairs at either beach or pool, although the cabanas are extra. The rooms are very large. We had two double beds and got a twin-size cot also.

I got a package thru MS that offered 1 free night for every 5 nights booked in a partial ocean view, plus 2 free daily breakfast buffets. So we had 12 nights for the cost of 10. Plus they upgraded us to ocean view when we arrived. The staff people were SO VERY nice, and we found after we got there that children under 12 eat free for breakfast and lunch.

I'm planning on going again in a couple of years, this time with my husband. It's a wonderful place to stay if you're looking for quiet elegance and total relaxation.

to add my 2 cents:
Maui is somewhat more developed but still very beautiful, great golf at kapalua and wailea/makena- kaanapali course is nothing special. You can also take the ferry over to lanai and golf at the experience at koele or the challenge at manele- both 5 star courses. Maui is great for beaches- nice long ones at kaanapali and wailea to walk for miles. Keep in mind kapalua is much winder and rougher water/ rainy in the winter.
Kauai is the quintessential image of Hawaii- very lush and tropical, not too developed- so not as much night life. Princeville and Kiele are tops for golf, but princeville is in the north and more prone to rain in the winter.
Hawaii (the big island) is the youngest island. It has a lot of lava rock terrain- kind of like being on the moon!. Lovely resorts, but spread out and it is a trek getting around the island. Beaches limited to resort development and also scattered areas. Mauna Lani is a great resort if you want to go and just veg somewhere and get some sun and golf. The Mauna Kea course is beautiful and there's waikola as well. Four seasons Hualalai (sp?) has a great course, but you have to stay there to play it.
Weather is pretty much great all year, although it can be a little warmer in september. All said, I never use my points for Hawaii- there are so many great resorts, i really wouldn't want to limit myself to the exchange choices. Marriott is difficulty to get into and also very crowded with families. Kapalua would be nice in summer but windy and rainy at other times. Mauna Lani is very romantic, if the big island fits your needs. The II choices are not really 5 star deluxe. You could always rent your points and rent a condo of which there are many nice properties on all the islands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter