Hawaii--Living there, moving there--Military

beachbunny said:
Wow Tammy, coming from someone with no first hand knowledge, that's quite a racially insensitive comment.

I am sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I was just repeating what my friend told me many times. I personally do not know that for a fact but that is what she told me. I have told her many times I would love to go vacation in Hawaii and she said that. I am sorry I never meant to insult you. She said they don't mind tourist's but didn't like for outsiders to live there.

Hi everyone! I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and my husband is actually from Hawaii
(Born & raised). RParmfamily, what service is your husband in? We lived on Hickam
AFB, and almost all of the housing was cinderblock housing. It was quite adequate
but not as nice as I would have liked. The bugs are hard to get used too also!
Watch out for the flying cockroaches! I think Mililani is also nice to live in. My FIL
lives in Aiea and SIL lives in Mililani. It has gotten quite expensive. Also I know that they have really built a lot of homes in Ewa Beach where the sugarcane fields were.
I agree with another poster on public schools. They are ranked low statistically, but
I know they really don't have alot of funds to work with. Please go with an open mind.
I am a haole, and my DH isn't. I found that hard at times. Try all the local food, it is
WONDERFUL!!! Try Aloha Shoyu! And Manapua, and lumpia, and the rice!!! And shave ice! Boy do I miss the local food! The best thing about Hawaii is the Aloha Spirit.
People let you in while driving and actually give you a Shaka. (A hand gesture) that
means mahalo(thank you) and howz it! Have fun! I wish I were you! Hawaii is about
OHANA(family).

I grew up on Oahu, specifically in Kaneohe, and was living in Kailua until September of last year. My husband is in the Navy and I can tell you that without a doubt the Windward side of Oahu is probably the best place to live under your circumstances. The commute to/from Pearl Harbor would be a breeze via H-3 (and it's a beautiful, scenic drive to boot) you are close to one of the best beaches on the island (Kailua/Lanikai) and the atmosphere is laid-back (especially Kailua; think vacation, beach town atmosphere). In Kailua lots of people get around on bicycles or by walking, there's a Starbucks right downtown where it's really fun to just sit around and talk, also Jamba Juice is right next door, and Teddy's Bigger Burgers are THE BEST!!! OMG, and their shakes are awesome! I totally miss living in Kailua, can you tell?! Also there's a street fair in Kailua every year with lots of food, entertainment, crafts, etc . . . AND, there is the best Mexican restaurant called Mexico Lindo and lots of cool, small boutique shops . . . There's also Windward Mall in Kaneohe (which is 10 minutes from Kailua) that has a large movie theater but there are also small discount movie theaters in Kailua where you can see movies for like $1.50! There's a 24 hour fitness in Kaneohe if you or your husband like to workout, but a lot of people get outdoors and do stuff in Kailua so if that's your bag you'll dig that too. It is truly a beautiful side of the island and the Marine base is right in Kailua so the commissary would only be minutes away and for July 4th they usually have great fireworks there and air shows (we saw the Blue Angels 2 years ago) and lots of entertainment (like big name acts!). Trust me, look for a house or townhouse in Kailua, you will love it! If I were to move back to Oahu (we're stationed in Canada now), Kailua is where I would live again in a heartbeat! If you have more questions, just pm me!

Aiea through Ewa Beach are located in West Honolulu. Housing prices are the cheapest on the island. But I wouldn't look there if public schools is a priority - they consistently score at the bottom. Also, the worst of the rush hour traffic comes from that direction - recent development has only made this situation worse. Commute from Mililani to downtown Honolulu during rush hour is at least an hour and Ewa Beach to downtown Honolulu is at least an hour and a half - bumper to bumper all the way.

I so appreciate the awesome advice you guys have given me!! The town of Kailua sounds great (it's near the marine base, right?) but would that drive to Pearl Harbor be too bad? I'm assuming DH would be heading to work quite early in the am.

A little beach town w/a Starbucks sounds like heaven to me!! LOL

I'm so excited guys! Thanks so much!

My best friend and her family own a house in Ewa Beach they are Navy. When I went to visit it was amazing I didn't realize how much I missed Island life ( spent 6 years of my childhood in Puerto Rico) It was beautiful , I went in October so the weather was perfect , but they do go through their rainy seasons, and yes the traffic can be horrible but it is all about timing. When they 1st got there they were in base housing in Ewa ( oh ya prounounce the w as a v) the company that owns them now have been doing ongoing remodels on them , friend said the rooms were pretty spacious versus what she has in her 3 bedroom condo . You will have a great time once you get over your sticker shock the 1st time you buy groceries :rotfl: Wish I could go back :sunny:

The commute from Kailua to Pearl Harbor shouldn't be too crowded. And if your husband leaves early, it should be a straight shot.

Most of the traffic comes from the Ewa to Diamondhead direction. Your husband will be going Windward to Leeward.

If you're going to be living in Kailua, look at a private school called Le Jardin. It starts with preschool, is highly recommended, and not too pricey. It's also a known "feeder" school into Punahou and Iolani. As an added bonus, part of the curriculum includes lessons in French.

Stupid question--(for you movers out there), did any of you have trouble shipping candles? I have quite the stockpile of Yankee Candles and some BBW ones too and I'd be heartbroken to not be able to take them w/me. I was told (years ago) that I couldn't because they are flamable. ???

I had heard years ago that one reason there's no B&BW in Hawaii is because they can't ground ship and there's too much alcohol to boat or plane ship safely. But that's because alcohol is highly flammable. Without a lighter, I wouldn't think a candle would pose the same threat. Put them in a box, tape it shut, and that's that.

My understanding is you AREN'T supposed to ship candles, HOWEVER we did a lot of our own packing and so many of our boxes were ready to go when the packers came to our house. We just labeled the box with something other than "candles".

H-3 will be very convenient for your husband, truly! It is probably the easiest commute on the whole island no matter what time of day it is.

Also, with private schools in Kailua . . . Le Jardin is not the only one, it is highly regarded, but there are also other smaller private schools (religiously affiliated, but of course you don't have to ascribe to that religion to be admitted). I can think of at least 3. Also, there is one public school in Kailua that is a blue-ribbon school ( so not ALL the public schools are bad, but I would still look at private ones seriously), it's called Aikahi Elementary and is located just outside the back gate of the Marine base. If you don't live in the area that serves Aikahi El. you can request a geographic exception to have your child still attend there. I did my student-teaching there for Elemtary Ed. and the teachers are very nice.

hi!!! I am a military wife also. We just moved from Hawaii. Actually we were stationed there twice. We lived in Kaneohe and I taught in Kalihi. Knowing what I saw in the public school system I would only send my kids to a private school. But hey thats just me. It is an adventure. I loved the island. The extra Cola is great too. I sent you a pm about a military wives group in Hawaii.

Never stationed (but did vacation many times) in Hawaii, but we were stationed in Japan. Even though I can't answer many of your questions I can relate to them.

As for shipping candles, our movers got so carried away packing they packed our kitchen trash can filled with trash. Luckily I noticed and we were able to get it out of the crate. Couldn't have imagined what it would have been like 3 months later when we unpacked it.

My only advice would be KEEP YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR and have fun!

Just wanted to say thank you again!! I'm very strongly leaning towards living out in town on the windward side.

Hey there! You'll love Hawaii. My ex was stationed at Pearl Harbor long ago and we had a lovely older (circa June 1941) townhome just outside the main gate. From what I understand those have been torn down and new quarters built. After living several years on the leeward side of the island at Lualualei, we jumped at the chance to move closer to Honolulu proper and eliminate the commute.

They do have a Costco and a Sam's but you'll find the commissary much cheaper in the long run. Our older DD was not yet in elementary school when we moved back to the mainland, so I can't help you with schools. To be honest, the school situation was one of the reasons we left. Don't be tempted to rent a place that takes up your entire housing allowance. Location is definitely more important than size, especially when you have school-age kids to consider. Save money to visit the other islands and stay in a nice resort now and then. If you or your DH get a Hawaii driver's license, you're entitled to kama'aina travel rates.... like a locals-only discount.

Also, the best beach to take the kids... Lani Kai! It's nestled back in Kailua and offers the best family beach experience, especially with little kids.

Enjoy it there... the locals are friendly and inviting for the most part... :)

:beach:

Just saw this thread...I was in Hawaii on vacation when it started... :teeth: We lived on both Hickam and Wheeler for nine years, two seperate tours. My kids were young when we went the second time and like others here have mentioned, I would not put my young kids in the public schools. If you should stay near Hickam/Pearl Harbor area there is a really neat private school called Navy Hale Keiki. A lot of military children attend here as well as local kids. It is only for pre school through second grade, which was perfect for us because we left after my oldest finished second grade. My children just thrived here and it really was a wonderful place. In fact, on our trip back this summer both kids asked to stop in and see if any of their old teachers were there. Kids are now 15 and 13. They say that NHK is some of their best childhood memories.

While the base housing isn't the greatest, if it is available, I would suggest taking it. It is convenient for your DH and nice to submerge yourself into the military community there. There is tons of stuff for the kids to do and at very reasonable prices. You won't feel isolated. Also, remember you and many others are looking for that perfect off base home. They are not readily available. I remember back in 1998 I had a friend who lived in the Tripler housing area and come home from a Dec vacation to find her whole house flooded. They had to find a rental home immediately. It wasn't easy. They took the only house they could find in Kaneohe for about $2400 per month plus utilities. Granted the house was nice but but she missed the closeness of the base and she still needed to get her kids to the school each day.

If I can help answer any questions, just ask. I also did work there our first tour, before kids, and can give you my perspective there to. That is a whole other issue!!

I have never lived in Hawaii, but have visited numerous times and am in a military family, so know lots of families who have been stationed there.

My main concern moving there with kids would be the public school situation. I have only heard bad things about the public schools there.

I would be seriously looking into private schools.

Bumping because I have another question!

Navy Hale Keiki
I saw where someone mentioned it only goes to 2nd grade. What is a good private school in the area (near Pearl Harbor) that would take 3rd grade and up. DD will go to K, 1st, 2nd and possibly some 3rd while we live there.

Thanks guy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter