Hawaii Ko Olina and DCL?

wdrl

DIS Veteran
For those that like to fantasize about All Things Disney:

Let us assume the Disney's Ko Olina Resort actually becomes a reality, and that it becomes a member of the DVC Resorts. Let us also assume that Disney Cruise Line positions one of its new ships on the west coast and offers cruises out of Los Angeles (San Pedro).

How many DVCers would want to take a cruise to/from the Hawaiian Islands and California, and include a pre or post cruise stay at the Ko Olina Resort?

Would having DCL cruise packages available in Hawaii influence your decision to buy an add-on contract at Ko Olina?

How many 25-point add-on contracts would I have to add if I wanted to do a 10-night cruise and 4-night stay in a studio, and pay for it all with points?

How many 25-point add-on contracts would I have to add if I wanted to do a 10-night cruise and 4-night stay in a studio, and pay for it all with points?

To do an every third year trip, bank and borrow, my guess is that for two adults you would need...

13 x 25 point add ons! My guess is that a cruise of that lenght and 4 nights would run about 1000 points!

I'd be surprised if they offer a Hawaii cruise. Takes quite a bit of time to get there without seeing a whole lot. Also, there used to be a law in the books (not sure if it is still there or not- the Passenger Service Act) that any foreign flagged cruise ship sailing between two US destinations has to stop a a foreign port. So cruises to Hawaii from LA have to stop in Mexico or some other foreign port before heading to Hawaii, lengthening the cruise. Pretty much all cruise lines are foreign flagged, even if they are based in the US.

Also, there used to be a law in the books (not sure if it is still there or not- the Passenger Service Act) that any foreign flagged cruise ship sailing between two US destinations has to stop a a foreign port. So cruises to Hawaii from LA have to stop in Mexico or some other foreign port before heading to Hawaii, lengthening the cruise. Pretty much all cruise lines are foreign flagged, even if they are based in the US.

Its called the Jones Act. The cruise lines that run from California to Hawaii usually make a brief 2 hour stop at Ensenada, Mexico, which fulfills the requirement that a ship make an international stop between U.S. ports. We have cruised roundtrip to Hawaii from LA, and its about a 14 or 15 day cruise, with about 4 days at sea each way. I know not everyone loves days at sea as much as me, but there is a lot of things to do on a cruise ship, especially a Disney ship!

“Crossing” trips are often discounted for the reason that for many people 4 days at sea is not all that exciting, so I would be surprised of that was the main route if DCL puts a ship in the Pacific. Island “touring” around Hawaii for shorter trips and longer trips to the south Pacific would likely be more profitable. I am just hoping that they have an equivalent of ME from both the airport and marine port, as I would love to be able to fly into Honolulu and “ME” to the resort for a couple of days and then “ferry” to other islands for a week and then return back to the resort for a couple more days before returning to the mainland. That would make the Hawaii point much more attractive to me (assuming the points per night are not ridiculous).

bookwormde

Well, they've already announced that they're repositioning the Wonder to LA in early 2011 (the new ships will not fit thru the Panama Canal until it's widened). So that much is a given. Personally tho, Hawaii is a destination vacation for us. We can't usually do more than about 10 days at a time tho on our vacations. When we go to Hawaii we go to snorkel, sightsee and relax. We've also been several times so we don't need a different port every day there. When we cruise we want to see new ports.

So for us, moving the Wonder to the left coast is not going to get us to buy points at Ko'Olina. Oahu is not our most fav. island. We usually only do a few days there. I also fear that Ko'Olina will be too point intensive for our membership to handle - I think the charts will be thru the roof. We may continue to go on cash and go to Maui. Although I would like to be able to use our membership there. I just know what kind of a deal we can get for cash and we know what areas on which islands that we want to stay. Until more info. is available it's hard to say. We're "due" for another trip in 2011 if we stay on our schedule so we'll see.:confused3

Unless the point charts are REALLY reasonable and unless we find that nobody can get in at 7 months I doubt we'll actually buy there. There are just too many other options in Hawaii on cash.

I know that NCL now cruises from island without the foreign stop so something must have changed the Jones Act. I would think that Disney offering 7 night cruises right from Oahu is more of a possibility than LA. They may only do it for a 4 to 6 months at a time with a reposition cruise from LA but I think they can certainly compete with NCL and win market share in HI.
Just my 2 cents.

I know that NCL now cruises from island without the foreign stop so something must have changed the Jones Act. I would think that Disney offering 7 night cruises right from Oahu is more of a possibility than LA. They may only do it for a 4 to 6 months at a time with a reposition cruise from LA but I think they can certainly compete with NCL and win market share in HI.
Just my 2 cents.

That ship would be the Pride of America and it is US flagged.

First off, I do feel DVC Hawaii is going to become a reality. :goodvibes

Secondly, I am one of those members hoping DCL will offer longer cruises from CA to Hawaii and then back to CA. I would buy extra points just to be able to take advantage of these types of cruises. If they only offer cruises around the different Hawaiian Islands, I will take advantage of those as well. Even if they don't allow a long stop at the DVC resort in Hawaii, I will enjoy a few days before and after the cruise at DL. It helps to break up the long flight times to and from the Islands from Ohio. :banana:

Thirdly, I am already planning on adding Hawaii DVC as a home resort. Since I am from the Midwest I don't see myself going every year but perhaps every other would be fantastic. :yay: Oh boy, my Addonitis is kicking back up again...watch out!! :cool1:

Ever since I have been a member of DVC (11 years) I have been hoping for a Hawaii DVC. Now my dreams are coming true...isn't that what Disney is all about?? :woohoo:

It would be awesome for DCL to add Hawaii. I already plan on adding on at Hawaii, a DCL would be a wonderful bonus. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter