Hawaii DVC Construction Pics!

I'm looking at DVC Hawaii as an extension to a trip. Our family has never been, and we planned on going for a couple of weeks for our 25th. Now we can extend that another week, so 3 weeks sounds a lot better than 2.

We are odd balls though - because we love HHI location on the marsh and can't wait to get to VB too.

Janis

I am sure the resort will be great, I just do not care for the location and if I am going to spend the expense of getting there and the time, I want to stay elsewhere.

I hope everyone loves it though and it sells quickly, but it is not for me.

The number one complaint about HHI is the location on the island, I am afraid this is the same situation. Not the best location if one is going to Hawaii and not like it is not a major expense to get there and stay there.

I have only been to Maui, stayed at the Westin Resort.

I won't be buying either. Living in Maryland, its just to far to travel on a regular basis. I don't think the resort will be a quick seller. But I will try it, booking at the 7 month mark with my SSR points!

I wonder what all the experts said when they started building in Florida! Disney didn't do to bad there!

I have only been to Maui, stayed at the Westin Resort.

I won't be buying either. Living in Maryland, its just to far to travel on a regular basis. I don't think the resort will be a quick seller. But I will try it, booking at the 7 month mark with my SSR points!

That Westin resort looks gorgeous, never stayed there. We own at the Marriott Waiohai in Kauai, but often stay on Maui in Kihei at my Dad's timeshare. I know a lot of people prefer Kauai to Maui or vice versa, but I like them both.

We've done Oahu, but would much rather go to the other less populated islands. Definitely agree with you and Dianne on the location. We used to spend some time in Oahu in the days that there were no direct connections to the other islands from Seattle, but now you can fly direct to pretty much all of the islands except Lanai and Molokai. However, most people who go to Hawaii only go to Oahu, so it would not surprise me if it sells pretty well.

Honolulu International (for Ko Olina)

I also like the reports of other new development at Ko Olina, and the new shopping mall at Kapolei

That will help. I still prefer Hawaii though....more small townish.

Resort looks awesome! I know many of you are hard on the location. Maybe Disney has more info then we do. Maybe the land was much cheaper, so we might get lucky and not see outrageous points per night needed. (I doubt it though). Maybe they know of future development that will evolve that area!
People who are hard on the location (in this thread and in other threads about DVC in Hawaii) seem to fall in two categories:

There are those who have been to Ko Olina, and genuinely prefer other locations in Hawaii, such as the crowded, urban craziness of Waikiki or fully-developed, master-planned resorts on the less populated islands. Fair enough.

Then there are those who have never been to Ko Olina (or have never even been to Hawaii), but have somehow heard that the location is "bad." Actually, Ko Olina is a master-planned resort community in the tradition of resorts like Kaanapali and Wailea on Maui. Ko Olina guests can stay in the resort complex and relax, swim, walk, dine, etc., but they also have access to all the attractions of Oahu.

There are still development sites available at Ko Olina. Disney could not have built at either of the two major Maui resorts areas because those developments are fully built out.

If someone knows of a better site that Disney could have bought, I'd be interested to know the details.

As far as the land at Ko Olina perhaps being "much cheaper" is concerned, Disney paid $144 million for the site at Ko Olina. For 21 acres, that's almost $7 million per acre!

People who are hard on the location (in this thread and in other threads about DVC in Hawaii) seem to fall in two categories:

There are those who have been to Ko Olina, and genuinely prefer other locations in Hawaii, such as the crowded, urban craziness of Waikiki or fully-developed, master-planned resorts on the less populated islands. Fair enough.

Then there are those who have never been to Ko Olina (or have never even been to Hawaii), but have somehow heard that the location is "bad." Actually, Ko Olina is a master-planned resort community in the tradition of resorts like Kaanapali and Wailea on Maui. Ko Olina guests can stay in the resort complex and relax, swim, walk, dine, etc., but they also have access to all the attractions of Oahu.

There are still development sites available at Ko Olina. Disney could not have built at either of the two major Maui resorts areas because those developments are fully built out.

If someone knows of a better site that Disney could have bought, I'd be interested to know the details.

As far as the land at Ko Olina perhaps being "much cheaper" is concerned, Disney paid $144 million for the site at Ko Olina. For 21 acres, that's almost $7 million per acre!

While I prefer the less crowded islands (not so much the crowds, but the visual beauty of the Na Pali coast in Kauai or the drive up to Haleakala or snorkeling Molokini on Maui- I think the other islands just have more natural beauty, but that is my opinion and I don't expect others to share it), I do think this is the right place for Disney to start in Hawaii.

First- most of the DVC membership is in the Eastern US, and that will represent their biggest target audience to market to. The less populated islands only tend to have direct flights from the western US. So Oahu plain and simple is easier to get to for a large population of people they have had success in the past targeting. Hawaii is a bit of a haul to get to even from the West coast (The Seattle to Hawaii flight is just as long at the Seattle to Orlando flight, about 5.5 hours and about 2800 miles in distance). So the less connections involved, the easier it will be to sell to the middle and eastern parts of the US. The location is far enough outside of Honolulu to feel rural, but close enough for infrequent visitors to get their first time look at some of Honolulu's attractions. Then secondly- not sure if they factored this in or not, but Oahu is a very popular attraction for Japanese visitors, and I'm wondering if Disney is planning on marketing to their loyal fan base in Japan, less from a timeshare ownership level and more from a hotel/Disney experience level (since it is a hotel/DVC hybrid).

So while I personally may not go their that often, I also think they picked the right location (for at least a start in Hawaii) and think they will do well there. I won't add on there, but I would encourage those of you who love your DVC investment and don't already have a Hawaii ownership somewhere else to consider it, because I think this is going to be a wonderful destination.

Then secondly- not sure if they factored this in or not, but Oahu is a very popular attraction for Japanese visitors, and I'm wondering if Disney is planning on marketing to their loyal fan base in Japan, less from a timeshare ownership level and more from a hotel/Disney experience level (since it is a hotel/DVC hybrid).

Disney would be absolutely crazy to NOT market to the Japanese.
Both Hilton and Marriott market extensively to the Japanese, and have Japanese speaking sales people and reservations people. When I was at the Hilton Tokyo Bay hotel (next to Tokyo Disneyland), they had a kiosk in the lobby for info on their Hawaii timeshares. And when I stayed at the Hilton timeshare in Waikiki, the attendance at the owner's reception was at least 60-70% Japanese. It would be a natural to have a sales office at the Tokyo Disney resort.

I myself am looking forward to Hawaii! Great Pictures!! My family is already planning a trip in 2011 or 2012 for a great trip! Never been to Hawaii, but ALL people I talk to say go see Oahu first, so that is what we will do. With the Costco/Walmart/Target nearby, just rent a car, buy groc at Costco/Walmart and go to the resort... A trip to Hawaii for a week for $3500 or so (airfare), NOT BAD!! I am already thinking of renting points to cover the airfare, so All we pay for is rental car, and groceries and etc..... Not bad for a week or maybe 8 days in Hawaii!!!
NOW, if I can get the resort at the 7 month mark...... :)

DeerH

They tell you to go to Oahu first so you will fully appreciate the OTHER islands once you island hop to the others!:rotfl: I always tell people that they should go to Oahu for at least a few days on their first visit. Oahu is optional on future visits IMO. There ARE a few things one really should see after traveling that far. We have cut back on our nights to Oahu to about 2 or 3 - practically not worth the time involved to transfer islands. For your first visit I would recommend a split stay between Oahu (so you can see Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach & Diamond Head just so you can say you've been there) and then go to Maui for at least 5 nights to really appreciate the island chain.

Each island has it's own personality and beauty and it would be a shame to go so far and only visit one island. Kauai is the only major island we've visited that we have no real desire to stay on. We love Maui and also enjoy a few nights on the Big Island on the Kona Coast. That island is the most diverse and offers every climate you can imagine. A helicopter tour around that island will take you over the active volcano (Kilauea) and around the northern coast to some amazing waterfalls and lush tropical foliage.:thumbsup2 Then there's the desert climate and black sand beaches to the south...

I was so excited about a DVC in Hawaii, but I really doubt we are going to be able to afford any points there. I also really doubt it will be very easy to trade into it with other DVC points. I have a hunch it's going to be fewer points to trade into an RCI exchange than it will be to trade in-system to Ko'Olina. Frankly, I'd rather go to Kauai, Hawaii, or even Maui before Oahu anyway. We went around the Ko'Olina side last time we were there, and I wasn't so impressed with the area.

Diane, I agree in that I think this will be the most point intensive resort to date. Interesting thought about it being less points to go in thru RCI.:scratchin We'd also rather go to the other islands for the majority of our stays. IF (and that's a big IF) we can afford the points on our next trip we will probably try to check it out for a few nights. Will have to see whenever they release more info. about it. I know we can get a decent enough room in Waikiki on cash. I DO have a limit on what I think a night on points is worth...I seriously doubt we'd consider using points there for weekend nights.:rotfl: We'd be out of points in just 2 nights if they go for anything like the Grand Wailea thru the Concierge Collection!!:lmao: Until they release the price point for the points and the corresponding charts I am going to assume that it COULD be almost that point intensive. I am curious to see if they also keep all 5 seasons there. I am betting they have no more than 3 for Hawaii. High, Extra High and Super Extra High!!:rotfl2:

Having stayed at the Marriott Ihilani two different times I wanted to share my 2 cents. It looks like the Ihilani will share the same lagoon with the new DVC Property. It is a wonderful lagoon for families. No wave action and over near the rocks developing coral reefs for snorkeling (with lots of sea turtles). My favorite island is Maui and my husband's is Kauai. Having said that Oahu is a wonderful island to visit. There are still relatively undeveloped areas on the island. The north shore is great for surfing or watching surfers. Pearl Harbor is a must visit at least once. Waikiki is fun to visit too.

We go at least annually to Hawaii and for every island I can't imagine just staying at the resort for the entire visit. We would miss so much! It is a completely different vacation experience than going to WDW and being self-contained on property for the whole trip.

We usually travel in May or Sept/Oct so I'm hoping to be able to snag a 1 bdrm for 2-3 nights at the 7 month window. That would be a perfect beginning or end to our Maui/Kauai vacations.

As far as travel time from the west coast to Hawaii. It's funny, even though it takes about the same amount of time to fly either to Hawaii or Orlando from my house, it feels like a shorter trip to Hawaii!

Looks like it's starting to go vertical. That's when you'll really be able to see progress being made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter