Hawaii Attraction Prices

Nonsense! Go to Diamond Head and walk up the stairs and see the bunkers they have up there. When you get to the top you will a magnificent view! Been there, done that, and would do it again.

My answer was in response to this question by the OP:

DD uses a wheelchair so hiking Diamond Head is not an option but would it be worth it to drive there?

Of course hiking Diamond Head is amazing. But since they would be unable to do so, in my opinion, it's not worth driving there just to look at it and not get to the top.

No need for water shoes. I surf/swim/kayak all the time (I live on the beach just a few minutes from Hanauma Bay) and have never used them. (Sugar Jones, the sharp things you stepped on in the ocean were coral.)

I wouldn't drive all the way out to Dole unless I was on my way to the North Shore too. They sell Dole Whips in Waikiki - walk three blocks ewa of your hotel.

Regarding geography, there are four directions you should know about. Mauka (toward the mountains) and makai (toward the ocean), and ewa (west) and Diamond Head (east). That's how locals give directions if you ask for them.

Paradise Cove is one of the best luaus. You'll have lots of fun.

Some cheap good eats recommendations: Kakaako Kitchen (local, slightly upscale plate lunches), Kua Aina burgers (large burgers), Goma Tei (Japanese noodle soup), Big City Diner (the best breakfasts - try the haupia pancakes) and Genki Sushi (sushi on a conveyor belt - you pay by the plate) all at Ward Center (5 minute drive from Waikiki).

Try a plate lunch at one of the many Zippy's restaurants - it's like Denny's, but it's a local institution. The Zippy's with the nicest view is at Koko Marina - it's on the water and about five minutes away from Hanauma Bay.

I'd spend the morning at Missouri/Pearl Harbor. There's also a small air museum that's new - not a lot of planes, but it's just starting out. The cool thing about going to the museum is that you get to go onto Ford Island (a small island in the harbor), which would otherwise be restricted.

I'd recommend going to the Punchbowl, the National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific. It has wonderful views and lots of beautiful memorials. I could have spent much more time there. One of my great uncles is buried there, that was the main reason why we went. I'd go again in a heartbeat, it was so beautiful and peaceful. I took so many pictures.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the planning!

Debby

My answer was in response to this question by the OP:

Of course hiking Diamond Head is amazing. But since they would be unable to do so, in my opinion, it's not worth driving there just to look at it and not get to the top.

Sorry for that. I was reading too fast and didn't see the part about the wheelchair. What a dodo-head I am. BUT, I still think it would be worth the drive up there because just being inside the top of the volcano I think is pretty darn neat. I'd do it just to check it out. :)

When we were there 4 years ago, Dh & my younger brother did surf lessons by Hawaiian Fire. They are a group of firefighters who do this in their off time. It was great! We were able to sit on the beach and watch them. It was a quiet, secluded beach. I checked their website and it's $109 for a 2-hr lesson, but well worth it if it's in your budget!

I was in Hawaii in April and some of the things we did (and loved) were

Pearl Harbor. If you can get your self a copy of the Entertainment Book - there is a B1G1 free coupon for the USS Missouri. I paid about $80 and got tickets to the Bowfin Museum, and the USS Missouri for a family of 4 - very worth it - my kids enjoyed it alot.

Dole Plantation - the maze was a blast (and there is a coupon in entertainment book for this too as well as B1G1 free dole whips)

Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau - yes it was pricy as everyone says but very worth it - We all enjoyed the presentations, the food at luau was good and the night time show was good also. (If I remember there is an entertainment coupon for this too)

Diamond Head

Surfing Lessons with Hawaiian Fire Surf School - Highlight of the trip for my kids... they were amazing. Secluded Beach where they take you too - only 10 students in class and 4 instructors... it was awesome. We had a MAW child in the same class as ours so I think they give special rates to MAW. They were expensive but I felt my kids were so much safer than being with hoards of people on Waikiki beach all trying to catch the same waves

ENjoy your trip - we loved Hawaii and cant wait to go back

Can you buy these on the island or did you have to order it ahead of time?

Not sure - I ordered mine online from entertainment.com -It paid for itself several times over

Another place we enjoyed was eating was at Teddys Bigger Burgers... its off Kalakaua avenue - near the zoo... the burgers and shakes were yummy

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.:flower3:

MAW is providing us with a sand wheelchair. It's supposed to be at our hotel when we get there. DD is little and requires quite a bit of support so hopefully it will work for her. If not, DH's arms are going to get pretty sore carrying her. :scared1:

We're staying at the Hyatt Regency on Waikaki Beach. We'll also have a minivan to use all week. We're borrowing a GPS from a friend so hopefully we won't get too lost. We're used to dealing with Chicago traffic so we're keeping our fingers crossed. ;)

I'm going to sit down today and try to plan things out. I need to get a map and plot out where each of these attractions are so that I can see what options we have.

How long should I allow for Pearl Harbor/MO? If we get there early, would we have time to do something else later?

MAW planned our luau and that's going to be at Paradise Cove. The bus will pick us up at our hotel around 3:30 so that may be a day that we spend the morning at the beach.

DD(23) wants to go to Dole but of course DD(20) doesn't like pineapple. :rolleyes: DD(16~MAW child) loves anything frozen so we'll stop there for at least a Dole Whip but probably not spend a whole lot of time there. Thanks for the info about the train.

The boat rides sound fun but I'm not sure if they would allow DD on. She could probably sit on either my lap or DH's. Do they have life jackets?

Dumb question but do we all need "surf" shoes if we want to snorkel or is it more of a sand beach?

Sorry for so many questions.

I stayed at the Hyatt during part of my trip in April... its very nice and right across from the main area of Waikiki beach. Only thing we didnt like was that they dont have enough elevators for as big as each tower is. I would stay there again though - the rooms were very nice and there were lots of stores right in the lobby area and they had lei making and hawaiian shows.

If you like sushi - I really enjoyed the sushi place that was right infront of the Hyatt. A GPS was a lifesaver for us - we brought ours and it got us everywhere we needed to go. I would get to Pearl Harbor as early as possible. We went the first morning we got there - we had flown in from Florida the night before and of course were still on east coast time so we were all up at 5AM... we got there by 7 and there were already people there. They give out the tickets to the Arizona first come first serve so get those first and then see the other sites while you wait for your tour time

Enjoy yourselves... it was our best vacation ever and we plan on going back in 2012

More on food...

Teddy's Bigger Burger is okay, but it's not the best burger in town. Used to be, but it's gone down hill since they've closed up the original shop. Currently, the best burger in Honolulu is The Counter at Kahala Mall - it's owned in partnership by Daniel Dae Kim from Lost and DK Kodama a local celebrity chef. You've got to try the onion rings and sweet potato fries -- omg so yummy! It's an Oprah best burger.

Don't eat sushi in Waikiki - there is no place that is not completely over priced - because they cater the Japanese tourists.

OMG! I just had dinner at Wolfgang's Steakhouse by Wolfgang Zweiner in Waikiki - it was fabulous - the steak for two was something like $95 but it was to die for! I know, it is not budget, but it is something to consider if you're going doing a special celebration meal.

A big tradition for locals is Sunday Brunch. If you really want to try something fabulous, make reservations at Orchids restaurant at the Halekulani hotel (we go there every Easter) or, my second choice, the Prince Hotel - both in Waikiki. It's kind of budget because you won't need to eat again that day.

Entertainment Book: You can buy it in Hawaii at any chain bookstore - like Borders.

Entertainment Book: You can buy it in Hawaii at any chain bookstore - like Borders.

You can buy it in Oahu?? You don't have to order it online? That's great to hear, because the online books for 2010 are gone.:cool1:

I'd recommend going to the Punchbowl, the National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific. It has wonderful views and lots of beautiful memorials. I could have spent much more time there. One of my great uncles is buried there, that was the main reason why we went. I'd go again in a heartbeat, it was so beautiful and peaceful. I took so many pictures.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy the planning!

Debby

I have a great uncle buried there also. We didnt know about it the first time we went, but made sure we did it the last trip. Even called my gma (it was her brother buried there) while we were there. Gorgeous views!!! And it was free!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter