• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having a party but you bring the food!

lovemygoofy

DIS Veteran
I really hate being so nice and no doubt we will be attending the party but OMG!
My husband forwarded me the work invite for some people's open house/spouse's birthday party.

The party is a grill out and says in the email "what to bring: whatever you would like us to grill. We will provide some sausages and will grill all the meat brought. Also, bring side items you would like to include buns, chips, dessert and drinks."

Now I'm just about as easy going as you can get when it comes to parties especially in my own home I will be providing food too! I understand a potluck party, usually what kind we have at my own home, but this is pushing that a bit.

I was telling my mama about it and she said for us to bring our McDonalds and a six pack of beer.:joker:

Like I said we will be going because it's a work thing and we are all working to build up relationships before the guys go wheels up but it's also my birthday weekend. EXACTLY how I wanted to spend my Saturday night, going to a party where I bring the food.

WOW!

Now thats how you throw a low cost birthday party........

I like your Mom's idea! :thumbsup2

This must be a new trend as we just got the same kind of invitation! So I have to pack up my cooler with burgers and rolls and potato salad and ketchup (and maybe some lettuce and tomato for the burger) just to come to your party? My DH really wants to go, too. I like your mom's McDonald's idea! I'm thinking sandwiches might be the best way to go.

We do quite a few parties in the summer and we usually buy the burgers and dogs and I ask people to bring a salad or dessert. We also provide beer, wine and Margaritas!! :thumbsup2

Sounds like my sister in law when she invites us over for Thanksgiving. She wants me to bring the mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, soda, dessert. While she wants her mom to bring turnips, sweet potatoes, veggie, etc. And SHE will put the turkey (that her mom bought) in the oven. She'll also provide the pickle/olive tray and butter. :thumbsup2

Sounds like my sister in law when she invites us over for Thanksgiving. She wants me to bring the mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, soda, dessert. While she wants her mom to bring turnips, sweet potatoes, veggie, etc. And SHE will put the turkey (that her mom bought) in the oven. She'll also provide the pickle/olive tray and butter. :thumbsup2

My soon to be ex sister in law would do that too! Actually one year she did all the shopping and cooking and told us each how much we owed! :furious:

Might as well have gone on a nice picnic...

I mean if you have a special need and have to bring the meat or something, but your whole meal?

I understand the rising cost of food, it sucks... BUT, at least make it a pot luck or offer inexpensive food items like hot dogs, pasta salad, chips, pretzels, cake, and cookies... I'd be ok with BYOB too, but bring your own meal...

I'd RSVP "It would be really nice to see you, but I think it is just easier to stay home and use my own grill" :)

That is awful.

I wouldn't go either. They'd probably ruin my beloved meat! And I like the McDonalds idea too.:thumbsup2

sounds like how our Thanksgiving is going to turn out. For my entire 40 years, my mom has made Thanksgiving dinner, all of it! She is going in for surgery this year and won't be able to do it. Her sister volunteered. I already got the phone call, that everyone must make a dish and she'll make a turkey...:rotfl2:

2 years ago, DH's cousin had a facebook announcement that she was hosting a reunion at her home in CT (most of the family live on LI). When the date got closer, everyone kept asking what to bring/how they could help. She responded "Oh no, this is a catered affair. I don't have the room to store and cook food" As the date got even closer, she posted a price, $60 per person to cover the cost of food/bounce house/entertainment. Well, everyone else responded that they wouldn't be going. Her final statement was a snarky "I can't believe anyone would have thought or expected me to take on the financial burden of a reunion"

HELLO...YOU were the one who invited us!

She should have just made it clear from the start!

When we have a party, we provide the "mains" - in summer, if we are BBQing, that would be hot dogs/hamburgers and veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs for veg-friends. I will usually also make potato or pasta salad. We also provide sodas/iced tea. We don't provide adult beverages - you want it, you bring it. I ask everyone who is attending to provide a salad or dessert to share.

We have our annual pumpkin-carving/Halloween party coming up. Invitations have already been sent out, and this year we are doing a "soup" buffet bar. I am making two soups; chili with toppings, and gluten-free vegetable beef soup. I have asked attendees to provide a different soup if they want something else, or a side dish; rolls, salads, etc. Again, we are providing sodas/iced tea and coffee and hot cider.

As much as I would like to be able to have friends over and provide ALL of the food, the truth is I just can't afford it. Also, my friends have many different food preferences and allergies. As much as I try to accommodate everyone, sometimes it's easier to just ask them to help bring their own.

We got a birthday party invite like that this summer, too! We went away that weekend so we didn't attend, but I was shocked! I'm all for potluck, all summer we go to friends houses for BBQs with our circle of friends and no one EVER arrives empty handed..but for a birthday party? No.

I really hate being so nice and no doubt we will be attending the party but OMG!
My husband forwarded me the work invite for some people's open house/spouse's birthday party.

The party is a grill out and says in the email "what to bring: whatever you would like us to grill. We will provide some sausages and will grill all the meat brought. Also, bring side items you would like to include buns, chips, dessert and drinks."

Now I'm just about as easy going as you can get when it comes to parties especially in my own home I will be providing food too! I understand a potluck party, usually what kind we have at my own home, but this is pushing that a bit.

I was telling my mama about it and she said for us to bring our McDonalds and a six pack of beer.:joker:

Like I said we will be going because it's a work thing and we are all working to build up relationships before the guys go wheels up but it's also my birthday weekend. EXACTLY how I wanted to spend my Saturday night, going to a party where I bring the food.

I actually don't see anything wrong with this. I wouldn't do things this way....my last barbeque was catered (I paid for it too! :cutie:)
I would connect with other invitees and see who is bringing what and look forward to a good time! Sounds like fun.
Does wheels up mean going over seas, like military? I wish your DH (and you!) well if it does!

We got a birthday party invite like that this summer, too! We went away that weekend so we didn't attend, but I was shocked! I'm all for potluck, all summer we go to friends houses for BBQs with our circle of friends and no one EVER arrives empty handed..but for a birthday party? No.

Same here. We do eith a BBQ or pizza night every other weekend in the summer with the neighbors and everyone brings beer, and either deserts or appetizers. However if I am having a party, I provide all the food and drinks. If someone wants to brin g something then that's fine but I would never send an invite asking guests to provide their own food.

When we have a party, we provide the "mains" - in summer, if we are BBQing, that would be hot dogs/hamburgers and veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs for veg-friends. I will usually also make potato or pasta salad. We also provide sodas/iced tea. We don't provide adult beverages - you want it, you bring it. I ask everyone who is attending to provide a salad or dessert to share.

We have our annual pumpkin-carving/Halloween party coming up. Invitations have already been sent out, and this year we are doing a "soup" buffet bar. I am making two soups; chili with toppings, and gluten-free vegetable beef soup. I have asked attendees to provide a different soup if they want something else, or a side dish; rolls, salads, etc. Again, we are providing sodas/iced tea and coffee and hot cider.

As much as I would like to be able to have friends over and provide ALL of the food, the truth is I just can't afford it. Also, my friends have many different food preferences and allergies. As much as I try to accommodate everyone, sometimes it's easier to just ask them to help bring their own.

I have no problem with this type of party and do several of them myself. The only time I provide everything is for Thanksgiving and our holiday open house. Every other time it is potluck style.

This time the invite leads me to believe they are providing the house and the grill and a few sausages. That is just odd to me and kinda cheap to be honest. I love potluck parties and usually have the most laid back ones you can imagine but I still provide some food.

That is crazy!!! We have been to many parties where they supply the meat, buns, etc, and guests bring a salad, dessert, side item, wine, wtc, but to have everyone bring their own food and they just cook it seems tacky to me! Plus, I know I would forget something, and then we'd be eating burgers withoput buns or cheese. Just seems like too much work to pack everything up and take it somewhere.

:bday:, Tina!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter