Having a luau - recipe suggestions?

tkyes

<font color=purple>DIS Earth Angel! :)<br><font c
We are having a bbq this weekend and I thought it might be fun to do something different than burgers and hot dogs, so I decided to do a mini luau.

We aren't going to roast a pig or anything. I was thinking of just doing it a little O Hana style, skewers of meat, etc.

So does this sound ok - or can you think of anything to add...

Chicken skewers, either beef or pork skewers (haven't decided)

a noodle salad

tossed salad - with mandarin oranges and toasted almonds

coconut shrimp

sesame chicken wings

pineapple chunks with caramel sauce

and something else for an easy dessert - i had planned on making ice cream sandwiches out of choc. chip cookies, but that's not very tropical. What do you think ginger cookies with coconut ice cream inside would taste like? hmm, I need help on this one.

Tamie

Ohhh, that all sounds great! Are all Disers invited? ;)

I would be happy with the icecream sandwiches, but if you are looking for something more tropical, how about a Hawaiin Wedding Cake?

1 box yellow cake mix
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 package vanilla instant pudding
2 cups milk
1 large can crushed pineapple
1 tub Cool Whip
coconut
Mariscino Cherries & Walnuts optional

Cook the cake as directed, in a rectangle pan.
Mix cream cheese, pudding & milk until creamy & spread on top of the cool cake.
Drain the pineapple well and spread on top of the pudding mixture.
Cover with Cool Whip.
Top with coconut flakes and split cherries and walnuts.

Enjoy your party!

I'm going to keep that Hawaiin wedding cake recipe. Long story, but I'm involved in planning a luau for a local seniors group. This looks like the perfect dessert.

tossed salad - with mandarin oranges and toasted almonds

I don't know if you have a dressing for this salad, but I use the mandarin orange juice, add a little brown mustard, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil, and it's awesome.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for noodle salad?

Thanks Harley Chick :)

I'll try and remember to grab the recipe for the noodle salad. It's a pretty common one with ramen noodles and cabbage. Not completely Polynesian, but close enough. :)

Thanks CamColt! Sure, DISers are always invited :)

Tamie

This sounds soooo good! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

If you want something more themed for dessert, how about Dole Whips? (If you have kids, you could even have them make those. DD made them for C'mas morning a couple years ago.) And if you use the pork for the skewers, how about marinating the meat with the White Meat Marinade from the Poly?

Pineapple Icee Whip
a Great Pretender for Dole Whips, from from Dole.com

Prep: 10 min. Freeze: 3 hrs. Makes: 8 servings

2 cans DOLE Crushed Pineapple (20 oz. each)
2 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl lime juice
1/3 c sugar
½ c chopped maraschino cherries, mini marshmallow or mini chocolate chips, (optional)
1½ c heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Stir in cherries or marshmallow or chips, if desired.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.

Hawaiian Chocolate Brownies
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This recipe is from the Caffe Villa Verde/Disneyland hotel.

2 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 c unsalted butter
5-oz bitter chocolate, finely grated
2 C flour, sifted
6 eggs
1 C macadamia nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 15x15-inch baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Butter sides of pan and set aside. In med-size sauce pot, melt sugar, butter and chocolate together, just until chocolate melts. Blend in sifted flour, eggs and nuts. Mix only until flour is moist and eggs are blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan and bake for approx 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Fudge Topping
1 C heavy cream
12-oz sweet dark chocolate, finely grated

Heat heavy cream to a boil. Reduce heat and add chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture becomes smooth. Remove from oven and cool thoroughly, then frost brownies. Sprinkle brownies with additional chopped macadamia nuts, if desired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter