• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks until I can again hopefully see what the sun looks like! A little warmth too if we are lucky!

Good Morning! It's snowing here in CT, and I need a GF fix! I recently learned about the walkway between GF and Poly. Tell me about it, please! How long is the walk, would it be feasible to walk through to the TTC to get to Epcot? I used to stay at the Poly as a kid, so i have great memories there and would love to stroll through if time allows. Fill a newbie in! :-)

Just another thought. Even though the fridge/armoire thing isn't my favorite, I think it serves a functional purpose.

I know a lot of these fridges in the cabinets have issues staying cold because there is not enough room for them to "breathe" and a lot of people have to open the door and pull them out a bit. This is a fairly common complaint, so it looks like that design purposely keeps the fridge away from the wall to stop that issue.

I think the Imagineers were thinking about that one. :goodvibes

Good point about the fridge, Mousemommy. It was an issue that needed addressing! :thumbsup2 Do you feel that the space on top is as much as the old armoire had?

It's a snowy morning in the south! We've had two days of it :crazy2: (not complaining because it's more a novelty to us :goodvibes) but thankfully, no power outage for me. Still, a visit to the GF would be a lovely diversion....:goodvibes

Speaking of the CL lounge..;).....they sure better not take away those scones and Devonshire cream!! This is how I would feel: :mad:

Good Morning! It's snowing here in CT, and I need a GF fix! I recently learned about the walkway between GF and Poly. Tell me about it, please! How long is the walk, would it be feasible to walk through to the TTC to get to Epcot? I used to stay at the Poly as a kid, so i have great memories there and would love to stroll through if time allows. Fill a newbie in! :-)

I actually walked from the TTC to the GF and I would say it would take you about 20-25 minutes at a moderate pace. It's a pretty walk. :goodvibes

Good point about the fridge, Mousemommy. It was an issue that needed addressing! :thumbsup2 Do you feel that the space on top is as much as the old armoire had?

It's a snowy morning in the south! We've had two days of it :crazy2: (not complaining because it's more a novelty to us :goodvibes) but thankfully, no power outage for me. Still, a visit to the GF would be a lovely diversion....:goodvibes

Speaking of the CL lounge..;).....they sure better not take away those scones and Devonshire cream!! This is how I would feel: :mad:

The space on top looks a bit smaller I guess, but it would still work for us. ::yes::

I know this is probably answered somewhere and I'm just not finding it, so I apologize in advance!!! What is the schedule for the room updates? I know they have only done one building so far but what is the projected schedule on the rest? Also is there more or less drawer space with the new armoire? We were always short on drawer space before and am hoping this will give us a little bit more! Finally, does anyone know if the dormer rooms are adding a couch or staying without? Thanks so much!!

I know this is probably answered somewhere and I'm just not finding it, so I apologize in advance!!! What is the schedule for the room updates? I know they have only done one building so far but what is the projected schedule on the rest? Also is there more or less drawer space with the new armoire? We were always short on drawer space before and am hoping this will give us a little bit more! Finally, does anyone know if the dormer rooms are adding a couch or staying without? Thanks so much!!

The schedule is listed in red on the 1st post of the 1st page of the thread. :goodvibes

Conch was first, followed by Boca Chica 2/4; Big Pine Key 3/9; Sago 4/27; SL 6/1; RPC 6/29 (listed on first page of this thread). As for the armoire, it doesn't look to me that there is much more drawer space, but I haven't seen the new one in person so I can't say for sure either way. AFAIK, there hasn't been anything definite said about whether or not the dormer rooms will have a daybed. It would be nice, though, if they did.

I actually walked from the TTC to the GF and I would say it would take you about 20-25 minutes at a moderate pace. It's a pretty walk. :goodvibes

The space on top looks a bit smaller I guess, but it would still work for us. ::yes::

It does look smaller, doesn't it? We use that space for a lot of stuff, as well as plopping things down on the desk top.

Is it just me or does the scale of the items just seem very random and off ? I cannot say that I love the decor for GF but what really bothers me is the disparity of scale in some of the pieces.

I did not personally care for the previous versions but at least they seemed Disney and Victorian, so I understood that while not to my personal taste they fit the theme of the resort.

My DD did point out that she really likes they headboard as they seem like they might be softer and she always hits her head on the headboards, especially the bunk beds at WL.

We have 8 inches of snow on the ground with far more to come. Wish we had left yesterday and headed to Disney as there is no way my kids will have school the rest of the week.

No, it's not just you.:teeth: The scale is off, the pieces look mismatched, and the room now seems bare without the benches, chair and ottoman.

I'm not a fan of the headboard as I don't care for padded headboards and the size seems off for the wall - but I can see how others might like them and by themselves I wouldn't hate the new rooms. It's the whole package that turns me off, lol.

Ah, that would have been perfect, quick surprise trip to WDW!! DD is getting that snow, too, she's got a snow day today as they are due for 12 inches accumulation.

2 weeks until I can again hopefully see what the sun looks like! A little warmth too if we are lucky!

It will be here before you know it!:yay: We've been in the deep freeze here, too, until yesterday, warmed up to mid-30s.

It's a lovely walk, very nice if you have the time. "If time allows" is the operative phrase, of course, as using the monorail would be quicker, usually.:flower3: We do not use that path for transportation purposes, but sometimes we like to walk it just for the relaxing experience - but not in the heat of summer.;)

Do you feel that the space on top is as much as the old armoire had?

YAY for no power outages.:cheer2: I'm glad you get to have snow if you enjoy the novelty, I hope it doesn't cause your area any problems.

The top of the armoire seems to have a little less space to me, with the way it is cut away over the drawers, don't you think? ETA: oops, sorry, I missed that interaction with you and mousemommy!:blush:

Amen to that scones and Devonshire cream comment - DD and I would join you in mutiny!:laughing:

No apologies necessary, it's all good.:goodvibes As others posted, the drawer space seems moot - more drawers, but smaller.:confused3

We've been discussing the question about daybeds in the dormers and my theory is they will have them. The rooms are so spare now, with the loss of the chair, ottoman and bench that there would be no reason to have no daybed in the dormers. Just my 2 cents, though, none of us have heard the final word.:flower3:

HTH! Any more questions, ask away.

Does the Grand Floridian have rooms and/or villas that can accommodate a family of 12?

I think the Grand Villas will accommodate 12, but check the bottom of first page to be sure, there are villa descriptions that tell the max occupancy (I think). As far as resort suites, maybe the largest? I'm not sure about it, but again, there are suite descriptions listed on the first page - post #2 or #3.:sunny: ETA: just checked, the Grand Villas do sleep 12; there are some outer buildings 2 BR suites that sleep 8-10, I think some of them have the ability to add a regular bedroom on one side, here is the link to post #3 with suite descriptions.

Is it just me or does the scale of the items just seem very random and off ? I cannot say that I love the decor for GF but what really bothers me is the disparity of scale in some of the pieces.

No, it's not just you as you are not the only one who feels that way. My thoughts are the same as k&a&c'smom.

Your trip will be here before you know it :yay:.

It is totally feasible if you want to take the time. It's a beautiful walk that takes about 15-20 minutes depending on your pace, but if you are in the mood to walk and aren't in a hurry, I say do it as it's a lovely walk as k&a&c'smom said :).

We are considering going in April and we might take my in-laws. So I am trying to decide if we would rather do 2 Sugar Loaf rooms that would include club level. Or, if we opt for a 2 bedroom GF villa standard view. They are basically the same cost.

So at Sugar Loaf, we'd get the food offerings and 2 separate rooms. My family is 3 children (4,8,12), my DH and me.

Or, do we opt for more space in the 2 BR villa, though in a shared environment without the food offerings?

My DH thinks Sugar Loaf is the better option. We've stayed in RPC and in Sugar Loaf. We stayed last year in Sugar Loaf with my parents and it was fine. Help me decide. What would you do?

I vote Sugarloaf.. You will be closer to the "action" and it was so centrally located, it was great for the boats or main lobby

I ran from the boat dock to the Poly on Saturday morning. I ran a loop around the DVC a few times because I couldn't find the walkway.. But it is a nice walk.. I would say it was maybe 1/2 mile from the main lobby to the Poly.

I know you once could walk to the TTC from the poly! but with the construction! I don't know if you can now.

We are considering going in April and we might take my in-laws. So I am trying to decide if we would rather do 2 Sugar Loaf rooms that would include club level. Or, if we opt for a 2 bedroom GF villa standard view. They are basically the same cost.

So at Sugar Loaf, we'd get the food offerings and 2 separate rooms. My family is 3 children (4,8,12), my DH and me.

Or, do we opt for more space in the 2 BR villa, though in a shared environment without the food offerings?

My DH thinks Sugar Loaf is the better option. We've stayed in RPC and in Sugar Loaf. We stayed last year in Sugar Loaf with my parents and it was fine. Help me decide. What would you do?

Well, it's hard to say what I would suggest for your family.:) For me, I would choose SL, but we are not interested in DVC. On the other hand - the villas are brand spanking new, gorgeous bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen and washer/dryer in the 2BR. Many people think that w/d set up is worth the exchange.:teeth:

What are the "must do's" for everyone at the Grand?

For us, we love strolling the grounds, breakfast at the GFC, sitting in the lobby listening to the music in the afternoon/evening, having a drink at Mizner's, grabbing a snack at Gasparilla's and watching Wishes, watching the EWP, browsing the shops, hanging at the pools, taking out the Sea Raycers. Dinner at Citricos, or better yet, V&A's is a great way to spend an evening.:cloud9: We also love to head over to the Poly for breakfast and/or some shopping.

For us, we love strolling the grounds, breakfast at the GFC, sitting in the lobby listening to the music in the afternoon/evening, having a drink at Mizner's, grabbing a snack at Gasparilla's and watching Wishes, watching the EWP, browsing the shops, hanging at the pools, taking out the Sea Raycers. Dinner at Citricos, or better yet, V&A's is a great way to spend an evening.:cloud9: We also love to head over to the Poly for breakfast and/or some shopping.

Yes, yes and more yes! Okay, now I'm homesick for the Grand.

We love walking the grounds taking in the beautiful surroundings, sitting in the lobby listening to the music, watching the EWP, and browsing through the shops :goodvibes.

If it were me, I think I'd go with the villa. We have never stayed in one, but the GF villas look gorgeous and it might be nice to try something new. Good luck with your decision :).

Okay, now I'm homesick for the Grand.

Your trip isn't that far off and will be here before you know it :wizard:.

We are considering going in April and My DH thinks Sugar Loaf is the better option. We've stayed in RPC and in Sugar Loaf. We stayed last year in Sugar Loaf with my parents and it was fine. Help me decide. What would you do?

I think it really comes down to whether you want to have the benefit of being provided with food and beverages, or having a beautiful kitchen to use if you want. The 2BR villas are gorgeous and it will be a lovely experience to stay in one. We had a 2BR at the VGC for my mom's 80th birthday, and it was perfection. You could have groceries delivered or stop at the store on the way in. If you would rather have the extra service of CL, I would stay SL. Fortunately, no losing scenario here!

Getting up early and taking pictures in the early morning light, then taking pictures again in the long last rays of the afternoon. Setting up in a beach chair with sunshade to gaze at the lagoon and read in between swims. Taking the motor launch to the Poly, walking around the grounds and shops, then walking home. Lobby music time settled in one of the big comfy sofas - a must do many times. EWP. Morning coffee on my balcony. Shopping at Basin for yummy bath treats and at Summer Lace for anything. Dining at V&As, Citricos and GFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter