HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkies

BlueSkies DIS Veteran

:hug: Hey there! I see a split stay in your near future... :thumbsup2

k&a&c'smom I really am so excited about this last minute trip! And do love MNSSHP.. My DD and I were there the very first year they had it..what nice memories...:)

I think posting within the same hour constitutes posting at the same time...LOL...:confused3 :goodvibes

I have a small list of things that I want to be sure to take a look at...and share with my fellow GF fans..

Which pool the activities are currently located at...

Anything and everything about the new VGF! :)

And..very important..lol..because shopping is always important! ;) If there has been any improvement in the merchandise available in M.Mouse Mercantile...This really perplexed me on the last trip...it was so empty ...in comparison to what they usually have to offer...

I will be on the look out for any new resort specific merchandise too...:magnify: I did get a nice turquoise GF tee on our last trip...maybe there will even be some VGF merchandise....

T G I F!!! Hope that everyone is having a nice day! :earsgirl:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

I found the movie list (same place), but I was looking for the activities on Halloween.

4. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

When I was in Sandy Cove in August they had more GF stuff than is shown in pic on 1st page of thread. I was going to buy dh something but a group of conventioneers were in the way. Of course now I can't remember what they had but I will get a pic next month.

5. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Posting within an hour is pretty close, I agree.:)

We love MNSSHP, too, so much fun! We haven't managed to go in several years, they made the discounts tough to get during the week my DD had days off from college.

Your list sounds good, I'd love to know the answer to all. I remember the discussion about M. Mouse, hope they've restocked, so odd. More GF merch is always great!! We do not buy a lot of souvenirs - when we fly, I hate to try to find a spot in my luggage for more than tees or small, non-breakable items.:laughing: We did purchase a beautiful AKL print one year for DD's b'day, as she celebrated while there. (drove instead of flew that trip) I wish I hadn't missed out on the GF pillows.:headache: Maybe they'll bring them back!!

Good Friday back to you, glad someone knows what day it is. :rotfl:

Do the resorts have special Halloween activities? I didn't realize; I know when they have Christmas or NY's stuff, they keep it kind of quiet - they alert guests the night before, or so I've been told. We are rarely there on a holiday as we try to choose less busy weeks.

I hope someone can answer from past years, but if not, maybe someone there now or in the next week can answer.:flower3:

Good to know! I'm (im)patiently waiting to hear all about the upcoming visits.;)

6. grannyminnie

grannyminnie DIS Veteran

Hello, Blue...:wave2: I'm really excited to see what you think about the new VGF! And I hope you get to see a room in the villas~
    Not long til you need to pull out that suitcase! :goodvibes

I'm going to be interested in checking out the new Vera Disney bags. I've never gotten the Disney D&B, but may get one of the Veras. ::yes::

ahcupcake, hope you're done with that nasty sinus infection! :flower3: No trips in your future yet?

7. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

I have a D&B but very heavy and not practical although I absolutely love the phone case:goodvibes

I think I will get a dis vera bag but I found a place online that shows a new pattern for December. It has navy, lt blue, lime green, and teal colors with Mickey icons. I think I will prefer those colors for with jeans BUT I will need one for November trip so I'll just have to have 2:rotfl:

8. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

I do know that the Mods and Deluxes (not sure about values) have special halloween activities that includes some trick-or-treating and one or two characters in halloween costume for pictures and autographs. I was just trying to see what type of other halloween activities that GF had.

9. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

10. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

I didn't much care for the two patterns of VB so far, but I like the sound of the December print, trishadono!

Thanks, I didn't know the resorts have t-or-t! Cool.

ETA: thanks for the link, I'm sure anyone going for H'ween will appreciate it.:) Oh, and I notice you live in our favorite place in FL!!

11. momatater

momatater DIS Veteran

Thank you both! It's really great to be back!

12. momatater

momatater DIS Veteran

Thanks you guys! I'm thrilled to be staying again in RPC! When making plans, DH said he already knew where we were staying, claiming he know me well! Well, he does, but I know that's his way of getting to stay there too, but I let him think he's outsmarting me! :rotfl: Silly man, I KNOW him too! :rotfl2:

There is so much that has changed, so I'm trying to figure it all out. So far, so good. Very happy with the way the villas have turned out as well. Pics look great!

After my time away, I feel like a newbie planning my first trip! :goodvibes well, maybe not my first, but I've got all the excitement of newbie! :dance3:

Thanks everyone for all your posts in this thread, I've caught up on a bunch of the changes because of you all!:grouphug:

:disrocks:

13. grannyminnie

grannyminnie DIS Veteran

I'm surprised they're already coming out with another pattern when they just debuted! Those colors do sound nice, but I'll be there in Nov., so I guess I will have to either buy what's there or wait and see if I like the Dec. pattern well enough to order it sight-unseen.

14. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Thanks.....I'm going to keep working on them :goodvibes. I agree.....a YC/GF split is the best of both worlds ::yes::.

I have a few Disney Dooneys and I love them, but I think I will also check out the Vera's ;).

You're welcome.....glad you're back :goodvibes.

Hi to everyone else....hope everyone is having a good night :wizard:.

15. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

Destin area use to be our favorite vacation spot also, which led us to move to the area:)

16. BlueSkies

BlueSkies DIS Veteran

Suitcase is out!! :thumbsup2 I will be on the look out for the new VB's.. as I said I think that DD might "need" one for Christmas! :goodvibes

I happen to like the original D&B pattern and I have the backpack which is nylon..so its its pretty light weight...and has room for all that I need with me to tote around the parks! Gotta have my "stuff" ..rain ponchos..sun screen.. and other just in case stuff! :blush: LOL...

Thanks for that info...in all of our trip to Disney at this time of year I never knew that there were resort happenings just for Halloween day! Its always great to learn something new! :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom I agree about Disney shopping being a challange when you are flying..especially now a days..when there are so many limits on what you can take along without paying lots of extra $$...

but..I have found a pretty reasonably priced solution...::yes:: Yes I do...LOL...

the buisness cneter at the GF will ship your purchases home...packed up very nicely..bubble wrap and all...and doesnt charge an arm and a leg either...:thumbsup2

mommatater Happy planning...There are so many nice ways to celebrate a birthday at WDW..and especially at the GF...and RPC to boot!! :goodvibes

:wave2:MickeyNut ahcupcake mommygina and all the rest of my fellow GF fans!

Have a super Saturday!:flower3:

17. Belle72

Belle72 Mouseketeer

We just returned from a week at the Grand Floridian. We had a lagoon view room which gave us an obstructed view of the MK. We still were able to enjoy the fireworks and the view of the castle/space mountain and loved our room. We thought GF was very open and airy. The grounds were beautiful. The service was amazing! We loved the shops, too! It may be our new favorite! Our kids thought the character bf at Park Fare was so much fun. The characters were very engaging.

I had been unsure of booking GF after we stayed at the Boardwalk last spring and posted a question on this board asking how the resorts compared. Boardwalk Inn was very nice but not our favorite. I was worried that GF would have a similar feel to Boardwalk. They were very, very different from each other aside from similar décor----and we loved our stay at the GF and will stay again! I would like to thank all who responded to my questions. I know it is difficult to try to answer as to whether or not someone will like a particular hotel but many of you took the time to answer my concerns.

The resort monorail was down for some of our trip between 11a and 6p which proved to be inconvenient for dining options and getting back from Epcot. The courtyard pool was down for a few days too. The beach pool was very nice and not very crowded most of the time, and my little guy loved the water feature/ splash play area.

18. grannyminnie

grannyminnie DIS Veteran

Yay, for getting the suitcase out, Blue!! :cool1: If I was where you are in my countdown, mine would have been out for days!! :lmao:

19. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

Lucky you!:cloud9: We love the whole Panhandle area, we've stayed at Pensacola, Destin, Seaside, Watercolor, Seagrove Beach, Panama City Beach...gorgeous. My kids have grown up with those sugar white beaches and emerald waters, so when we visited CA, they were confused by the yellow sand.:laughing:

Suitcase out, yay! So close!:cheer2:

Thanks for the tip on the shipping, I hadn't thought of the business center - don't know why?! I'll try to keep that in mind, next time we want to purchase something that doesn't pack well.

I like the D&B patterns, but haven't bought any for myself. Got a wristlet for DD, so cute.

Welcome back, glad you had a magical trip!:goodvibes Nothing like the Grand.

Sorry about the monorail issues and the courtyard pool, when I read about those things I felt for anyone there last week.:headache: Hopefully it didn't impact your visit too much, but how annoying.

Which building were you in? Sounds like you got a great view!

LOL - I looked at the countdown after reading this, and she is way ahead of where I would be.;) I'm a notorious last minute packer.:teeth:

20. trishadono

trishadono DIS Veteran

:wave2:

Happy weekend all.

Just had to comment on my upcoming GF trip. I received my MB's :thumbsup2

Then the next day I got an "invitation" in the mail to customize (I already have) and do my FP+s.

Then 3 days later, today I received an email "invitation":rolleyes:

So. If you have a reservation in November or December check daily for FP+ and MB's. I have a res for 1/1/14 and am keeping an eye out for that too.

Not sure why disney so behind with notification:confused3

21. DrDoodle

DrDoodle Earning My Ears

Just back from 8 nights at GF. Had a great time, magic bands and FP+ worked great for us. I I Lu wish the movie each night was in a better spot. It's impossible to watch the movie and still catch the water pageant and fireworks. Otherwise we had a really liked the grand, not sure if we would choose it over the poly though for our next trip. I guess that depends in construction at the poly. Maybe it's time we think about contemporary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.