Having a 3 year old's birthday during a split stay question

Pirate4Ever

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

So I know that if I have a 2 year old that turns 3 during our trip, she's considered 2 for the entire trip, but does that go for split stays as well?

We originally were going to stay a week with my DD having her 3rd birthday right in the middle of the trip. We are now thinking of adding 3 more days to the vacation, but changing to a new resort. Since she will be 3 the entire time we are in the 2nd resort, will we have to get her park tickets for those 3 days or is it still considered the same vacation? I just want to make sure we are doing things the right way- thanks!

Hey all!

So I know that if I have a 2 year old that turns 3 during our trip, she's considered 2 for the entire trip, but does that go for split stays as well?

We originally were going to stay a week with my DD having her 3rd birthday right in the middle of the trip. We are now thinking of adding 3 more days to the vacation, but changing to a new resort. Since she will be 3 the entire time we are in the 2nd resort, will we have to get her park tickets for those 3 days or is it still considered the same vacation? I just want to make sure we are doing things the right way- thanks!

Since it's 2 separate reservations it's considered 2 vacations and your DD will need a park ticket for the second as she'll be 3.

Since it's 2 separate reservations it's considered 2 vacations and your DD will need a park ticket for the second as she'll be 3.

I don't think this is true. How would they know if someone offsite switched resorts? The entire point of "not growing up" is so that you aren't forced to buy 4 day tickets for the birthday kid to compliment your 7 day tickets - it essentially negates the value of being free because the 3 additional days are so cheap.

And it's "for the duration of your trip" - I wouldn't consider a split stay 2 trips.

It might be a good idea to ask disney in a live chat on there website. I find this the easiest way to know for sure if I'm getting conflicting answers. Or just want to ask them directly. I personally wouldn't want to spend extra money if not needed or get embarrassed at the gate.

I don't think this is true. How would they know if someone offsite switched resorts? The entire point of "not growing up" is so that you aren't forced to buy 4 day tickets for the birthday kid to compliment your 7 day tickets - it essentially negates the value of being free because the 3 additional days are so cheap.

And it's "for the duration of your trip" - I wouldn't consider a split stay 2 trips.

But Disney does consider a split stay to be two vacations. If it were one reservation her daughter would be considered 2 the entire time, but because it's split into two and her daughter will turn 3 before the later portion, she is then considered 3 for that part.

This was not true for us. We did a split stay over our boys birthday. No issues. Anyway OP, likely they will not ask at the turnstile but if they do I would tell them what day she turned 3 and what day you arrived that started your wdw vacation and wouldn't get into the split stay bit.

Thanks everyone! We called tonight to make the 2nd reservation (room only since we have APs). We told the agent on the phone our situation and she told us that she was going to go ahead and put her down as being 2 since that's what she was for the other room. So I guess we're good to go!

I appreciate the thoughts and insights!

I think in this rare case you have to look at the spirit/intention of the law. It was meant so parents didnt' have to suddenly buy expensive tickets for 2 days of the trip b/c little Johnny turned 3 3/4 through the trip.

I am glad you sorted it all out and I would not feel one bit guilty. You are not 'gaming' the system IMO.

I do not think Disney considers a split stay to be two different trips just because you have two reservation numbers. The reason why I say this is because we have a triple split stay coming up. 8 days at BWV, 3 days at akv & 5 days at VWL. I was able to make FP+ reservations for the entire 16 days when I hit my 60 day mark for our check in day at BWV. If they considered it 3 separate trips I think Disney would have made me wait to make my FP+ for the AKV part of our trip until I was 60 days out from our check in at AKV and the same for VWL.

We were in a similar predicament last visit when my daughter was turning 3 during the trip. We ended up not splitting the stay (not because of her age change) but the whole time we only had 1 cm question her age. This was at MK getting in. Once I explained there were no issues. I will say however that her having a magic band that served no purpose did get us a few questions using FP+. We ultimately didn't have her wear it for ease.

An unrelated suggestion we found my hubby and I could make separate FP+ ressies and take turns with her on rides. Since she didn't need a fast pass this basically enabled 6 fastpassss for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter