• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haven't been in six years so feel like a newbie again. Several questions

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
I have been to DW 4 times. (live in CA so can only go every 4 or 5 years) After our 4th trip in 10 I felt like a pro and like I knew what I was doing. We stayed onsite twice (contemporary and Coronado) and offsite twice in our timeshare. For this trip we are once again using our timeshare but with all the changes and the fact that we are going for the first time in summer I feel overwhelmed.

I REALLY am not looking forward to summer because of the heat and crowds but my children are in HS now and can't miss school. So we are going and pray that we are still able to enjoy ourselves and get to do things since it has been so long and will be who knows how long before we go back.

My first question is since we are staying offsite I heard you don't get magic bands but I am wondering would there be any reason I would NEED one? We don't plan to charge stuff on it or anything and obviously don't need a room key. My only concern was Memory Maker. Thinking about doing that and heard you may need it for that.

Also do you think we have a chance at all of getting in to things like BOG since we can't make ressies until exactly 6 months. IE I will have to call on the 180 day mark for each day of the trip. That is one we really want to try as it wasn't even there last time. I would do any of the three meals just to see it but I am not flexible on days because we have a set schedule of which parks we do on certain days. We are going to MK 2 times so that would be it.

Also any other advice or suggestions would be great since I am overwhelmed and not really sure how to do anything anymore. Not sure if I should try to do the MDE on the computer, a phone or call to make ADRS

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and help

-Since you're staying offsite, you can't charge stuff to the band or use it as a room key anyways. That's only for on site. You won't get a band but can purchase one within the park. You don't NEED one, but it's nice to not have to pull out the cards every time you need to use it. It's just a convenience thing. I do believe you'll need a mb if you want the ride videos for ToT and seven dwarfs, and other rides that don't have the photo screen at the end.

For ADR's, that far in advance (everyone does 180 days, no one books further out than that), you should have a really good opportunity to get what you want for what time. I'd just use your phone or computer, no need to call. We booked crystal palace about 2 weeks out for lunch, so you should be able to get BoG

The only thing for Memory Maker is that if you don't have the bands, you cannot get the Mine Train video. There are no monitors or touch pads to scan your card after the ride. If you have a magic band and memory maker, it will automatically be there.

I like having magic bands, so easy to scan instead of bothering with a card, but I stay on site.
There was a thread earlier this month about whether to get magic bands if staying off site, maybe it will be helpful for you.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ma...xperiences-appreciated.3417422/#post-53808502

As for making ADRs, I have to say, trying to make them on line was a PITA. I ended up having to call, because the website was not cooperating. For the harder to get reservations, you may want to look at the restaurants board, there are cancellation threads for each month, and you may be able to coordinate with someone to get the ADRs you're looking for. Also, there is something called Disney Dining Buddy, it's $8 per request, and I have never used it, so idk if it's worth it or not. I keep trying to stalk a couple of ADRs because I was on line right when my 180 day window was open and I still didn't get what I wanted. Lol.
Hope you have a great trip! :tigger:

Last edited:
No magic band needed. The cards work the same for rides and park entry. (I actually prefer a card since I don't like wearing a band and having it in all our photos)

I would also recommend calling for ADR's since the website has been horribly finicky lately. I've even found the APP on my iPhone to be MUCH better and more stable for updating/switching ADR's.

I would also recommend having your schedule tentatively figured out at the 180 day mark so that you can make your ADR's for prime restaurants ASAP. They do fill super fast. Onsite or offsite, everyone makes reservations at 180 days out. However (and I could be wrong), when staying onsite, when you hit the 180 day mark for the first day of the stay, you can reserve following 10 days right away also. I think with offsite you need to do it day by day, so you will need to call each morning for ADR's.

Same for your FP+'s. At 30 days, be ready to schedule them.

Dan

Onsite guests do have an advantage for ADR's as the last poster said. At 180 days out they can make their ADR's for the next 10 days and offsite guests must call day by day. This will definitley impact the ability to get into BOG. I tried at 180 + 6 at 6 AM online and I could not get dinner all ready. I was able to get a lunch ADR.
I think if you want an Anna & Elsa FP+ you will also find they are gone. There are some reports that the 7DMT FP+ is also frequently gone by the off site 30 day window. Otherwise you should be okay if you are right on it when your window opens.

This past June was our family's first trip and I was extremely worried about the heat and the crowds. We also stayed off site and I was worried about getting ADRs and the FP+ that we wanted but we ended up getting everything we wanted!

We had to book about 5 months out due to some scheduling things we had to work out so I thought there was no way we could get any good ADRs. However, we were able to snag a ADRs for CRT, Sci Fi, and 50's PT. There were still a lot of restaurants that had availability but we aren't that big into TS. Halfway through the week we were there, I decided to try and get a breakfast ADR and was able to snag one at BOG!

As for FP+, we were able to get everything we wanted except for 7DMT. However, we were able to hit 7DMT three times by rope dropping.

We found that taking an afternoon break was a must for us. We would hit the parks at rope drop, stay until the early afternoon and then return during the evening. We found that the crowds combined with the heat in the afternoon was almost unbearable! And we're from Phoenix so I'm used to 115 degree weather but once those crowds start moving in it becomes stifling. We also brought little hand held fans at CVS and always stayed hydrated.

In total, I was really stressed and overwhelmed planning the trip but once we were there everything fell into place and all the planning was worth it. We were able to do almost every attraction, and the majority of them we did twice.

Thank you SO much everyone. That is pretty much what I figured about the magic band. Other than Memory Maker I don't think we need one but since I want to do that maybe I will just get one for myself that is tied to MM. And Awholenewdisney thanks for that. Other than our first trip in 02 which was in May we went in Oct and Nov the other 3 times and there were no crowds, weather was great and even cold in 08 when we went over thanksgiving and I have always gotten my ADRS but that was because we went off season. I really hope we can get into BOG for some meal but I guess if it isn't meant to be so be it. I will def do what everyone suggested and keep an eye out. And for those that weren't sure yes if you are onsite you can make all your ressies on the first day of the 180 but I will have to call each day which is what I have done every other time except for last time when we stayed onsite. And so if we can't get a FP for 7 dwarves I guess we will just make a beeline and do it first ;) Thanks again everyone for your help!!

FP for 7dmt are usually available at 30 days. You may not get a preferred time, but you shouldn't be shut out like A&E.

BOG does open up, you just have to be willing to check until you find a ressie you want. You most likely will not find it when you book at 180.

I don't know how many are in your party, but if you want the ride videos to link, you need one band per ride car (if you are a party of 8, you would need two bands). I think all of the rides with the exception of 7dmt have the touch screens at the end of the ride now.

If you haven't been in 6 years, overall I would say to plan on thicker crowds (no matter WHEN you go!), higher food prices, fewer ADR due to free dining, and way less to do at DHS......

In summer heat and crowds rope drop is your best friend.

I am such a newbie . . . How do you get a FP if you are staying offsite? I don't have my tickets yet -- was really planning on getting them I have an ADR at Beaches & Cream a few days before our park day.

I am such a newbie . . . How do you get a FP if you are staying offsite? I don't have my tickets yet -- was really planning on getting them I have an ADR at Beaches & Cream a few days before our park day.
Set up an MDE account and link your tickets there. A 30-day window opens for FP booking and keeps expanding daily. When you are exactly 30 days out from each park day, you can book FPs.

Thanks! I do have a MDE account because of the ADRs. I'll go ahead and purchase my park tickets online and see about getting some FPs.
Thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter