• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have your servers ever "begged" for a good review on the survey?

Have you ever had servers beg for a good survey review?

• Yes, unfortunately, we've experienced the begging at least once before

• We've felt some pressure to give good reviews, but never begging

• Nope, our servers have never done anything more than tell us the survey is important

• Survey, what survey?

Results are only viewable after voting.

riggins

You can't always get what you want, but if you try
Hi guys-
We're just back from 4-nights on the Wonder for Thanksgiving. We had a fantastic trip, but had some issues with our servers. I can share the details in another post, but in summary, on nights 1 and 2 the service was really not good (no where near being in the same league as the service we've received on our previous DCL cruises). Night 3 we were at Palo, and on night 4, the service was remarkably better than nights 1 and 2.

So, at the end of the 4th night, our server and assistant server come over for the usual spiel about how important the survey is to them and ask that we please take the time to fill it out. Our server then proceeds to tell us that their jobs are on the line and he could really use some "Excellent" scores. Our Assistant folds her hands and says "please, please, please, please give us Excellent ratings." She explained that we were just her 2nd cruise after returning from vacation and she was having a hard time getting back in the groove and after last cruise, she really needed some Excellent scores. Then our server tells us that he only has a few more weeks until he goes on vaction to see his wife and kids and he really needs to have this job after his time off.

I was so floored by their blatent begging for good reviews - it was especially shocking since the service they provided was suddenly much improved on that last night. This was our 5th Disney Cruise and we've had servers be a little pushy about the survey reviews, but this took the cake. I think I'll write a letter to DCL explaining the whole situation. But I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks
Leslie

Yes, but I politely remind them as soon as they start their "speech" that I know what excellent service feels like as I have cruised so many times before on DCL and I would let them know if I felt excellence was not being met. It always works and never have had a problem.

It's funny that you mention it. This was the first time that I really felt we were boderline being 'begged' to give excellent reviews.:confused3

Sorry to hear service wasn't up to par for you.

Yes, we were begged. I thought it was a bit silly because there was no question that they were offering incredible service. How could we have marked them down in the slightest?:confused3 I didn't care for the speech. To me, that's just going to skew their numbers and not give them any useful feedback. Our servers told us something about pay/bonuses/etc being based on getting only the highest marks. I got the feeling that they would practically be punished if they got anything lower than the best. They must be under a lot of pressure.

Karen :cloud9:

Nicely stated, MJ. I'm going to have to remember this.
Yes, but I politely remind them as soon as they start their "speech" that I know what excellent service feels like as I have cruised so many times before on DCL and I would let them know if I felt excellence was not being met. It always works and never have had a problem.

We have always had wonderful service too, and I always felt strange when they give their speech. No one has ever begged us - they have always said the surveys are so important, and would we please take the time to fill them out. I always think its the least we can do.

What I always thought was strange was that it is the wait staff that gives that message, instead of the head waiter of the room. Also, I always thought it is so weird coming at the end of the cruise - i always think it would be so much more important coming at the beginning of the cruise.

I would be so much more impressed by the head waiter coming by at the beginning of the cruise and saying something like: "We want this to be the best vacation you have ever had. At the end of this vacation, we are going to ask for yr input on areas on improvement. Its extremely important to us that you fill out these surveys. . But, rather that wait until the end, PLEASE tell us right away if there is anything you don't like or want us to do differently. Our goal is to make you happy, and we can do that so much better if we can fix problems as they arise, instead of waiting until the cruise is over..."My 2 cents.

I always feel bothered that so much of their pay, etc is based on our input. We have all seen passengers be complete jerks on a cruise - I would hate to think of what those people write. http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/sad06.gif

I didn't care for the speech. To me, that's just going to skew their numbers and not give them any useful feedback. Our servers told us something about pay/bonuses/etc being based on getting only the highest marks. I got the feeling that they would practically be punished if they got anything lower than the best. They must be under a lot of pressure.

I couldn't agree more! I think its great that DCL values what their guests think, but somehow I feel like its getting out of control. It feels like the guest surveys are the one and only measure of their overall performance and it really shouldn't be that way. Lots of guests don't complete the survey, lots of guests feel pressure to be overly positive, and some guests tend be overly critical. The Lead Servers and restaurant managers needs to be paying attention to what their staff are doing are not rely so heavily on a "fill in the bubble" survey. Its not pleasant to end a great vacation by feeling like someone's career hangs on which bubble I choose to fill in.

We have always had wonderful service too, and I always felt strange when they give their speech. No one has ever begged us - they have always said the surveys are so important, and would we please take the time to fill them out. I always think its the least we can do.

What I always thought was strange was that it is the wait staff that gives that message, instead of the head waiter of the room. Also, I always thought it is so weird coming at the end of the cruise - i always think it would be so much more important coming at the beginning of the cruise.

I would be so much more impressed by the head waiter coming by at the beginning of the cruise and saying something like: "We want this to be the best vacation you have ever had. At the end of this vacation, we are going to ask for yr input on areas on improvement. Its extremely important to us that you fill out these surveys. . But, rather that wait until the end, PLEASE tell us right away if there is anything you don't like or want us to do differently. Our goal is to make you happy, and we can do that so much better if we can fix problems as they arise, instead of waiting until the cruise is over..."My 2 cents.

I always feel bothered that so much of their pay, etc is based on our input. We have all seen passengers be complete jerks on a cruise - I would hate to think of what those people write. http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/sad06.gif

Totally agree! On our second cruise the servers did it exactly this. And the service was the best of any cruise we have ever been on. They never even mentioned the survey the last night. They knew they didn't have to. Excellent servers really don't need to beg.

Absolutely!

Take note DCL!!!:teacher:

I really like that approach. It should come from the person in charge. It was interesting that on this cruise, our Lead Server was really nonexistant and I think it probably contributed to the service issues we had. In the past, our Lead Servers have typically come by on the first night, introduced him/herself, and explained their role and how they can make our dining experience better. This trip, our Lead Server stopped by the table each night and simply said "how is your food . . . is everything cooked ok?" It was just like when the Applebee's manager quickly checks in. He never even introduced himself and never asked about the service. Maybe he already knew the answer :rotfl2:

I always feel bothered that so much of their pay, etc is based on our input. We have all seen passengers be complete jerks on a cruise - I would hate to think of what those people write.

My thoughts exactly!

Our servers have reminded us about the section of the survey that applies to them and asked that we definitely complete it but they did not beg for specific ratings. In fact on our last cruise, our server was just so/so but our assistant server was excellent. It wasn't that the server was bad - he did everything he was supposed to do but he always seemed extremely pre-occupied. We made sure that we noted the excellent service from our assistant server.

We found out at the morning breakfast on the last day that our server was leaving that day for his vacation.

Our server did tell us on our first night that there would be a survey to fill out at the end of the cruise but if there was anything they could do to make this an awsome holiday we could bring it to their attention. As others have said, if you have awsome servers they do not need to ask. We are positive we had the best servers on the ship.
One question on the survey asks if anyone made our day Magical. I answered yes, every night in the dinning room and gave their names. Hope to see them again next cruise.

The reason it seems that servers 'beg' to have the comment cards filled out and submitted is that DCL reads everyone of them, and your suggestions, comments, concerns are actually addressed. DCL or Disney for that matter do take the comment cards very seriously. It is the only way for the company to improve where it needs improving, adjust where adjustments need to be made and reward the vessels crew/staff for a job well done.

Keep in mind that Disney has an image and reputation to uphold. It is the reason why we choose to sail on DCL. The vessels crew and staff are 'Ambassadors' of Disney. It is their service and hard work that shapes our image of Disney. Hence the reason why these guys break their backs waiting on each and everyone one of us. The comment cards are important for them because what we say is a reflection of their hard work and dedication to us and to Disney. It is their way of being recognized for the hard work they do each and every hour of the day.

The reason it seems that servers 'beg' to have the comment cards filled out and submitted is that DCL reads everyone of them, and your suggestions, comments, concerns are actually addressed. DCL or Disney for that matter do take the comment cards very seriously. It is the only way for the company to improve where it needs improving, adjust where adjustments need to be made and reward the vessels crew/staff for a job well done.

Keep in mind that Disney has an image and reputation to uphold. It is the reason why we choose to sail on DCL. The vessels crew and staff are 'Ambassadors' of Disney. It is their service and hard work that shapes our image of Disney. Hence the reason why these guys break their backs waiting on each and everyone one of us. The comment cards are important for them because what we say is a reflection of their hard work and dedication to us and to Disney. It is their way of being recognized for the hard work they do each and every hour of the day.

I agree that the surveys are critical to improving/maintaining service, but the fact that they practically told us we MUST mark the highest score for them was a little obnoxious in my book. We were told this on the first night and on the last night. Now, I didn't have a problem giving them the highest marks because they earned them -- no question -- but I didn't like the begging for them. Surveys are not useful if people are told they must always mark the highest scores.

Just my opinion.

Karen :cloud9:

Yes I felt they did and I felt they were aggressive and out of line ..it affected how I completed the survey and the amount we left as a tip ....I really let DIsney have it on the survey abdout the begging ..way too pushy...I guess they didn't hear me

Our servers mentioned the survey the last night of the cruise. They didn't tell us what to mark but they did tell us it was very important that we fill them out and drop them off at breakfast. They also told us that if they had done a good job and received high ratings they would be given a larger serving area next time (meaning more tips for them). They were excellent servers and I probably wouldn't have known about or filled out the survey if they hadn't mentioned it to us. I didn't mind it but begging or telling me what to mark would have REALLY put me off.

on your eval - thanks for the tip as I now what score to give you ---- a big FAT ZERO!!!!!:mad:
WHY?? Because I also work in the hospitality industry & I take that exact kind of an attitude (joking or not) as an affront to the industry.

First time visiting WDW / DCL --
01-07-09 through 01-15-09

P.S. Yes - I do welcome feedback from anyone on this post.

Kris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter