Have you/would you sail pregnant?

Skylarr29

DIS Veteran
So during our cruise in May (that was planned before baby) I will be approx. 23 weeks. Disney says you can sail up until 24 weeks (viability) so we thought it was perfect and that it would be a nice chance to get away together before baby. Now I am worried though that something bad could happen and going to a foreign hospital etc. Am I just being paranoid? Have you or would you sail pregnant? This is our first baby so very :confused3 TIA

Personally I would be nervous, but I tend to be nervous about that stuff anyway. Other people may not be nervous at all, especially if your pregnancy has been easy and there haven't been any problems. I would ask your doctor and try to read his/her body language also!

Personally I would be nervous, but I tend to be nervous about that stuff anyway. Other people may not be nervous at all, especially if your pregnancy has been easy and there haven't been any problems. I would ask your doctor and try to read his/her body language also!

Our first cruise was when I was about 21 weeks pregnant and I made it though Hurricane Jeanne. You should be fine, even through a hurricane we loved it so much we've cruised every year since then except the year I had my DS.

This is only my personal oppinion - but I wouldn't do it. We actually changed our plans because I was going to be 23 1/2 weeks at travel time - plus I was so tired and sick it would not have been fun to be on a boat. We are going on the Disney Cruise this week actually - with our 6 month olds. We went to Hawaii while I was pregnant instead thinking that at least there were hosptials and doctors there. I ended up pulling a muscle in my stomach it was very minor however I was so glad that we were somewhere that if it had been a problem we would have been near a hospital. Also I ended up calling my OB 4 times during the trip for lengthy conversations to check in about the pulled muscle and to ask questions about symptoms I was having. If we had been on the boat that would have been soo expensive.

I got married on the Cruise in November and there were tons of pregnant ladies sailing. I know atleast 5 or 6 I saw daily! These were the ones showing too, so I am sure you will be fine!

That was about the point I felt the best in my pregnancy. The morning sickness had past and all the other crap hadn't started yet. Also realistically if something (god forbid) were to happen at 23 weeks, even in a modern hospital I don't think there would be much you could do.

I think in this case you have to talk with your doctor and if your Dr. is comfortable with yougoing and you are comfortable with it, I would go for it. Your life will never be the same once your little on arrives and you may really enjoy this alone time with your dh.

As an ER nurse, I have seen too many "normal" pregnancies turn into "nightmare" pregnancies without warning. Talk to you doctor and go with your gut. If you do sail, make sure you have GREAT insurance.

I would never travel to a place where you do not have access to emergent medical care easily when you are pregnant - that means in a boat, in the woods, in some foreign countries. Yes, 23 weeks SHOULD be a low risk gestational age to go but if you are one of the unfortunate people who start contracting, bleeding or have a sudden absence of fetal movement, YOU are stuck somewhere without anyone who can determine what is going on or without any equipment to treat you. I knew someone who had a very very unpleasant experience miscarrying on a cruise. Sorry to give such negative vibes but I wouldn't want anyone to go through what this person went through.

In the US, 23 weeks is considered the standard age of viability for a baby now. However, it would take the expertise of a Level 3 NICU in order to take care of a 23 week baby. There aren't any Level 3 NICU's in the Caribbean.

Depending upon your itinerary, Miami would be your closest Level 3. It would require an air evac for you and/or your baby were you to go into labor or deliver while you were gone.

There are arguments for both sides of the "should I go or should I stay" argument-and no one has any right to pass judgement on you for your decision.

However, you do owe it to yourself, your SO and your baby to know the risks, benefits, and alternatives to traveling out of the US at 23 weeks gestation. Hopefully you will have open dialogue with your Physician about the trip.

In our Level 3 NICU we have all sorts of outcomes-good, bad, and ugly-and it isn't always tied to how or where Mom went into labor either.

I wish you much happiness as you start out on the greatest journey of your life.

My wife sailed pregnant with our 2nd child and had no problems. Talk to your doctor. You are the only one who can make the final decision. As with anything, if you look hard enough for horror stories, you will find them.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I of course will talk to my doctor about it. The hardest part is I am only 7 weeks now but we need to make the decision soon because we used DVC points and we will lose them. I tend to air on the side of caution so I think we might be cancelling or gifting our cruise.

I hope to be pregnant when we cruise in October. I really wanted to cruise in between kids but when DD is still old enough to participate in the kids program. She'll be 3.5 this fall and I will hopefully be somewhere in my 1st or 2nd trimester. YMMV, but I'd much rather cruise pregnant than with a baby. I could never leave my baby in the nursery.

My wife sailed pregnant with our 2nd child and had no problems. Talk to your doctor. You are the only one who can make the final decision. As with anything, if you look hard enough for horror stories, you will find them.

My thoughts exactly. I cruised at about 12 weeks last time. I talked thoroughly with my dr. before going, made sure I had travel insurance plus my regular health insurance. I second the above opinion. Good luck with your decision. :goodvibes

We just booked for the March 28 cruise this year and I'll be 20 weeks, first pregnancy. I feel good about going. Just don't do any risky activities and take your time getting around the ship. Enjoy the time with your hubby! I'll be purchasing trip insurance to cover the trip and so feel covered there. Dr. was good with me going as well.

I just got back Thursday from a cruise and am 10 weeks pregnant.. Much earlier than you would be, but I had a great experience. We too wanted a last trip before our first baby comes. You need to do what is right for you, BUT I saw a ton of pregnant women, even some who my DH thought looked well beyond 24 weeks (i'm sure they weren't).. Our doctor saw absolutely no problem with it and was actually suprised at Disney's 24 week policy.. but its a personal choice... :) Good Luck! :beach:

We cruised when I was 18 weeks. I had a great time and very few worries. If I were you I would try to schedule it a couple weeks sooner and like a previous poster said getthe travel insurance incase you need to cancel at the last minute.

The last cruise we took, I was a week before the cut-off too. I thought it was the perfect vacation to take being pregnant because it's rather laid back.

Unless you have a difficult pregnancy, I'd go for it. But of course, get trip insurance just in case.

Thanks for all of the opinions. I appreciate them. If it was a few weeks earlier I don't think I would be as worried because there is nothing that could be done for a 19/20 week fetus but to know that you are at viability with a 23 week old is so different. If (and I know it's a big IF) something happened I don't know that I would ever be able to forgive myself. I will talk about it with my doctor at the next appointment and see what he says. Thanks all.

Something to consider (and this is the "horror story" part so don't read on if you don't want to hear it).....

I think it's not just about the "viability" of the baby if you go, but also the safety of the mom. Without giving every detail, I will just say that I delivered and lost my twins at 19.5 wks, plus I spent 3 days in the hospital for losing so much blood. Now I realize I am in a small percentage, but I never thought I'd be in it. I had a picture perfect pregnancy up until the day I went into the hospital so there was no reason to not sail (In fact, I sailed at 12 wks pregnant with them!). Plus this was pregnancy #3- I already have two healthy DDs so I really had no worries.

SO- yes, I would and DID sail up until the 24 wks limit. But now knowing that even before 24 weeks could end up like this, I would definately think twice now.

If you do decide to sail, I would check with your doc and know all the risks and possibly even spend time online checking out the medical facitilies at some of the ports.

No matter what, I wish you the best with your pregnancy! And if you do put it off, I can also say that both my DDs sailed as young infants and that was fun (not as relaxing as it would be BEFORE you have them, but still good!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter