Have you used Tour Guide Mike?

Jolimont

Earning My Ears
A few people have recommended Tour Guide Mike but it's a bit pricey ($22). Have you used his services? What did you think?

We're Disney virgins and we'll be there from Jan 25 through Jan 31. We have a daughter who's almost 7. We've already reserved our hotel (Port Orleans French Quarter), we'll have a rental car, and we already have our tickets to the parks and airline tickets. I ordered the Unofficial Guide to Disney 2004 and Walt Disney World for Kids 2005 and I'll read them as soon as I get them.

http://www.tourguidemike.com/ sure sounds good, but maybe it's over-kill. What do you think?

Many thanks!

PS: If you work for Tour Guide Mike or stand to gain from your recommendation, please make that clear in your response. I'll still read it. :earboy2:

I subscribed to Tour Guide Mike before our first trip to WDW in March 2004 and re-instated my memberbship just recently in preparation for our next trip (it didnt hurt that they were offering a special rate at the time).

I found it useful and would recommend it to others. The tips are right on, I didnt use all of them the first time around; but will use them more next time. At first I did find all the information a little overwhelming, since I had never been to WDW before. But the more I read and compared with what I came across on the DIS and from disney veteran friends, it really has some great advice.

This is my 4th trip to WDW, and my 2nd time using Tourguide Mike. I love his site! Just my opinion, but I think he offers a lot of great info. I like Tourguide Mike. He has handy park print outs, reminds you when to call for your PS's, etc. If you are the type that likes to use guide books, definitely use Mike. If you are the type that loves to do major planning for your trips, use Tourguide Mike.
By the way, he responds to e-mails very quickly, and if anyone asks questions in his discussion boards, he replies to those too!

Agree with above posters. I am a many time Disney veteran, have all the guidebooks and signed up for TGM for our upcoming trip. I'm really impressed, and will most likely be a repeat customer. I find his tips and advice very helpful and well tried and tested. I think the advice found on the site is worth the price of the service, IMHO.

Nancy :earsgirl:

Here's another vote in support of TGM. Now, I think I'm a DisBoards junkie. I lurk, even when I'm not posting. I suspect that you can get most of the important info on Mike's website from other resources on the internet. But you won't get it all, and you won't get it as easily. It might be especially helpful now because Mike will be updating frequently about how the new EMH's are affecting crowd attendance.

One recent example - when Disney just extended the hours for Cinderella's breakfast at the Magic Kingdom, that made it easy for anyone traveling in late January through early March to get priority seatings. If you were diligent about checking these boards, especially the Disney dining board, you could have gotten that information quickly. I didn't have to do that because Mike sent an email to everyone going during the dates affected.

By the way - I used TGM for my last trip, I am using it now for my February trip, and I'm planning to use it for my next trip, which will be a multi-family trip.

I used TGM for our Christmas trip last year. It was great. He had the best suggestions to avoid crowds during the holiday. I thought it was worth the $$.

Just my 2 cents...

I tried out TGM and just asked for a refund.
Why? Because all the informaiton I found wa the same as what I find on other sites (for free) and the planning with the Passporter and Intercot worked better for me.
I personally did not think it was worth the money spent.
I will say however that they refunded my money, no questions asked. So why not try for yourself?
:rolleyes:

I have to say I disagree with most of the above posters. I used the guide for our November trip and was dissapointed. I felt I didn't get any more information then what I found on these boards or in any tourguide books. I should have asked for a refund but honestly, I was too lazy to do it. I don't recommend it....JMO

The best thing about TGM (IMHO) is that his info is accurate and up-to-the-minute. Most tour books are out of date by the time they are actually in your hands, but Mike updates his site almost daily. I love the UG and Passporter, but even the newest of them will still have Park Hopper info and not Magic Your Way. Plus, your dates may coincide with some of the funky changes they are making to the evening EMH. The UG won't be able to help you with planning for these changes, Mike will. If you are reluctant to spend $22, why not email him and see if there are any discounts right now. It can't hurt to ask! Have a great trip! --H

We used TGM for our Christmas trip last month. I definitely think it was worth the money. The best thing we found was that by following TGM's touring plans, we had no (or minimal) waits to go on all the rides we wanted to go on. I can honestly say that we spent no more than 10 minutes in any line, and this was during one of the busiest weeks of the year.

In addition, Mike is more than willing to personally answer any questions you have. With the up to date information he provides, I felt it was well worth the money, and as soon as we determine our exact dates for our fall trip, I will renew my subscription to TGM!

I am a 73 yr old Disney veteran. have visited WDW since the year the MK opened. I thought I knew everything about touring the parks etc. However, a year ago I signed up for TGM's AVP and found out that I knew very little. Since using Mike's advice and information I have had the most perfect vacations possible. I just spent four days enjoying the Christmas specials and with TGM's advice I saw and did everything I had hoped to do. Could never have done it without his advicel
I just signed up again for my June vacation. I would not think of going back without his updated advice and information.
I have had all the books, and read other forums, but nowhere can I get the updated information he provides.
You know from day to day what is changing and how to work around the changes to plan the perfect vacation.
Only persons who did not follow his advice could be dissatisfied with his AVP.
If you only read the info and do not follow it, you will not benefit from what he provides. Read, absorb and follow his advice and I guarantee you you will have what I call a wonderfully perfectly perfect vacation complete with pixie dust and Disney magic.
Mike is number one for information and advice.
Take it from the old gal. I know of where I speak.
Recent vacations using TGM's AVP included: Poly, June 2003, CB, Oct. 200; Poly, June 2004; Poly, Dec. 2004 and going back to Poly, June 2005.

I :love: LOVE :love: Tour Guide MIke. In fact, my husband thinks we are having an affair because I talk about him so much and I act like I know him (I don't). :Pinkbounc I am a nutty planner. I really enjoy it. TGM's site has so much info that no matter how many times I go there, I usually find another helpful tidbit that I didn't know before. This is my second time using the site and I have found it to be incredible helpful. :cheer2: Definately e-mail TGM about a discount---and enjoy!

I'll cast another vote for TGM! I have to disagree that all the information found on the TGM site can all be had for free elsewhere. It is by far and away THE BEST Disney trip planning tool I've used. There is definitely a lot of information there, and it does take some time to review all of it. He's recently added an express planning feature for those without a lot of time, though I haven't used it. I also frequent the DIS, have a Passporter, and an Unofficial Guide, so I guess I'm an information junkie, LOL. However, if I could only have one, it would be TGM, hands down!

I'd actually rank the Passporter last in terms of useful information that can't be gotten for free elsewhere. I buy the Passporter, and love the organizing pockets. The maps are great, too. I don't think there is anything in there that I can't find somewhere else, though.

I do not work for TGM, but would be willing to, LOL. :earboy2:

Edited to add: TGM's touring plans are the best I've found, IMO, for families with kids or groups of mixed ages because they include ALL of the best attractions from Dumbo to BTMRR in the SAME plan, without a lot of backtracking. You don't have to choose, you can do it all. He also provides the know-how for you to customize the plans as you see fit, if you don't want to follow them as-is.

I would recommend The Unofficial Guide for touring plans. For all other info I think Disboards, Allearsnet.com and Mousesavers are your best bets. I subscribed to TGM but found the info on Disboards and Mousesavers, etc. to be much more timely. TGM didn't seem to be updated very frequently. The touring plans in The Unofficial Guide work very well and there's just something about sitting down with a real book... I don't think TGM is worth the money.

Before the trip my family and I made to Disney back in May, I had only been one other time (as a young child 20 years ago). I knew very little about WDW and was anxious to investigate this place before making the journey. I bought the Unofficial Guide, the Passporter, and subscribed to TGM. I also sought info from Deb Wills and Mary @ Mousesavers as well as the DIS. I wanted to know everything I could find before my trip. Well, I wound up giving my UG to my MIL, kept my Passporter mostly for the nice little pockets and fold out maps and renewed my subscription to TGM for my trip planned this February. I still seek info from Allears and Mousesavers and skim the DIS boards on occasion for helpful info. I try my best to read TGM DAILY. Why? Because I know that he knows his Disney. I trust his information to be current and accurate. He gives me updates that these other books do not give. He also is the only reference that is truly interactive. He will communicate with Y-O-U. That really means something to me. For the most part, he tries to answer posts on the boards when we need answers to things that no one else may know. I feel $22.95 or what ever everyone else has paid is a fair price for current, personal info you absolutely will not receive for FREE anywhere else. If you use TGM correctly, you will find that he has helpful information that is absolutely NOT found in other places or on free web sites. That's my .02.........Yes, I have definately used my TourGuideMike!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to mention that TGM is much more up to date than it was 2 years ago. Mike is constantly updating info, almost on a daily basis now. He has created new bulleted tour guides that are so cool.
:cool1:

I actually just purchased this, and I can't wait to read everything he has to offer!!! I will post later to let everyone know what I think of it, but it looks wonderful. I have been to Disney many times, and I mostly lurk on these boards (every day!) but still feel I have a lot to learn!

Jen

I've used Birnbaum and UG multiple times. I used the 2003 UG extensively for our 6/03 group trip with 35. I like it.

BUT, I like TGM better. The UG is like an encyclopedia. It is written reference manual style, and by its nature must generalize. TGM on the otherhand personalizes info for you with specific info for your specific dates. Also each month (June 05 for our next group, this time with 70 people) has a separate club with a coordinator/moderator that works with TGM to notify you of important info that is specific to your travel dates. The articles Mike has are written in a very friendly and inviting manner. The "Best Days" information is worth the price alone. The summer survival guide and holiday survival guides are first rate. Some people prefer the UG park plans. I've used them. They work. But, Mikes touring plans concentrate on the overall guest experience including getting rest and the like, rather than just maximizing rides. To each their own. I find Mikes information to be well worth the price. WHen Disney changes EMH days and nights (which they have done) Mike updates his info to reflect that. And you can always PM him, or email him for specific advice on specific situations. He has ALWAYS come through!

Reading the Farmers Almanac to find out weather trends is nice, but I'm sure you watch the news, the weather channel, go to weatherbug.com etc to find out the CURRENT forcast for specific dates. The same goes for TGM. His info is updated. You don't have to wait for next years UG, passporter, etc.

So yes, I think TGM is definately worth the price. I will always be subscribed to TGM.

I have only been to WDW 3 times in my life. My last trip was June 04. I used PP and it was a great guide. Loved the maps, good information and it helped me to become familiar with parks I hadn't been to in over 15 years (and 2 parks I had never been to.) I loved the pockets and the information.

Once we were home and started thinking about our return trip, I wanted to find even more detailed information, reviews, how to make better use of my time (I stood in a lot of lines in June) and something that I could read online. Someone told me about TGM and I went over took a look and purchased it right then. This is the best money I have spent on any of my trips to Disney.

Yes it cost, yes you can get some (not all) of the information from many different sites. But you can't get all the information on just one site, nicely organized, lots of pictures, great information on how to better use my time and updated (seems daily) information. I paid about the same for TGM as I paid for PP but I didn't have to pay S&H, I didn't have to drive to 3 different bookstores to find it, it is there when I want it. If I want to read it at lunch, I can. I want to read it at night I can. I took a business trip in December and I saved some of the pages to my laptop and I read it on the plane. It is always there for me.

I am not going back to WDW until December 2007. I will probably buy the PP in 2007 and get the updated maps (first checking to see if they are updated) and use the pockets (filled with TGM information). Will I use the PP for up to date information for my December trip? No, the information in the PP will be over a year old by the time I go but TGM's will be updated until the day I leave and even while I am there if I want to get on the internet at night.

I guess this is too long of a post for my first one, but I don't think you could go wrong with TGM. Use this board, UG, PP, mousesavers, etc., but make sure you use TGM.

Bil

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter