Have you tried Mystery Shopping?

mom2faith

DIS Veteran
I did this abour 4 years ago for over a year and did pretty well at it. I made anywhere from $200 to $600 a month. I still do the odd job here and there, but it is harder now that I commute to work.

Anyway, do NOT pay for the list of companies!! Get on Yahoo Groups and find the mystery shopping group and go to Volition.com for a free list.

There are a couple of bad comoanies out there, but not too many. I only did not get paid once, and it was a Blizzard from DQ, so I was not out that much money.

Anyway, thought I would throw that out there for some extra Christmas money!!

Amy

i just signed up w/one but i'm afraid a bit - it seems like the paper work has to be EXACT or you don't get paid - is it as hard as it seems?

thanx

i just signed up w/one but i'm afraid a bit - it seems like the paper work has to be EXACT or you don't get paid - is it as hard as it seems?

thanx

Most of the ones I did were online survey type questionaire's. Like "Were you greeted", "Was the sales person wearing a name tag". Then there was room for comments.

You do have to pay attention to detail and really read your assignment before you go in, but for the most part it was easy.

DH and I got a lot of free meals out of it too.

Amy

thanx
I messed up a shop once by purchasing the wrong thing (I misunderstood what I had to buy and it was a little ambiguous). They asked their client, who approved the shop anyway, and I got paid. Might depend on the company, but I've never had a shop refused.

It depends - the only places I was sent were Modell's and gas stations. For the amount of time it took me, plus the survey, it wasn't worth it for me.

thanx

I did a few mystery shops about 5 years back. I thought the paperwork was ridiculous and the pay not nearly enough for the time/travel/gas & the memory you have to have for the little details (I'm horrible with names)

thanx

It isn't hard, but it is very very very detailed. And yes some companies will deny payment if not done just the way the requested it.

I do MS weekly as a part time job, I do Mcd's from anywhere between $15-$40 plus food expenses each store. I just did a couple art stores today had to buy something for $10 and got paid $15. to do it and got paid back for purchase. I have done motor cycle shops for average $40.00 a shop no purchases needed. tons of cell phone shops for $10-$35. no purchase needed. plus tax deductions and mileage at end of year. Thank god gas prices have came down that helps too.

I have done this for several years, although now it's just when it's convenient for me.
I worked for one company where I had a "territory" for about 3 years, but it got old and frankly a bit dangerous. My "territory" was mostly in not-so-nice areas, and believe me I stood out like a sore thumb. I did not fit the demographic of the area and EVERY store manager knew who I was when I came in (extremely obvious by the way the catered to me).
I agree never pay for any lists, there are plenty of companies on Volition to work for. Sign up for as many as you can and you'll get emails with shop listings. You have to be quick though as they are usually 1st come, 1st served.
I mostly do the food shops (nothing beats a free meal and a couple bucks to boot!). It won't pay the bills but gives me a little extra money now and then. Just be sure to calculate whether the time and gas will be worth it. I take shops only in the areas I go anyway and schedule them to fit into my errand routine.

I could have done Mcd's but i was afraid of keeping track of the time on line etc - isen't it obvious that you are a mystery shopper they even want the seconds - how do you do it remember or write everything down as you go?

lisa

I do MS weekly as a part time job, I do Mcd's from anywhere between $15-$40 plus food expenses each store. I just did a couple art stores today had to buy something for $10 and got paid $15. to do it and got paid back for purchase. I have done motor cycle shops for average $40.00 a shop no purchases needed. tons of cell phone shops for $10-$35. no purchase needed. plus tax deductions and mileage at end of year. Thank god gas prices have came down that helps too.

I could have done Mcd's but i was afraid of keeping track of the time on line etc - isen't it obvious that you are a mystery shopper they even want the seconds - how do you do it remember or write everything down as you go?

lisa

You get really good at it but it does take practice - I have done at McDs for as much at 120.00...that was a great day.

It can be low paying but once you know your way around the business you can do very well.

Liz

any tips? how do you keep track of time? do you write it down or just "remember" i might just try it next week.......

You get really good at it but it does take practice - I have done at McDs for as much at 120.00...that was a great day.

It can be low paying but once you know your way around the business you can do very well.

Liz

I am looking into doing some of this. I went to Vol's website.

Do you need a MSPA certification for most of these companies?

Thanks

I used a digital tape recorder.

If your cell phone has a voice memo feature you can use that too, and don't forget about the cell phone camera! You can also call and leave yourself a voicemail with details too. These are invaluable with mystery shopping. Just looks like you're yacking on the phone..........:lmao:

Which company does the McD's shops? They'd be right up my alley! I am a MS for a company, but all I seem to get from them are electronics and hardware shops that pay about $5.00. Sometimes I get the free dinner ones, too, but i"m not making any actual MONEy on those!

I use a digital watch that has seconds on it, I have my money ready, as I step up to counter I place my purse in front of me on counter as I read my watch in minutes and sec only after I place my order I write the time down quickly inside my purse, then when food comes I check my watch again only minutes and sec and move to drink area and set tray down and write the time down again. I set so I can see the counter and then take time to write down my times now recording hr:min:sec. I also have been know to just jot the time down on my hand as I move through the line. The drive thru is easy.
I know another lady that has her hubby go in and set down where he can see her and when the order is totaled she puts her purse on counter to give him the sign it is totaled, then when she gets her food he records that time for her. I wonder if anyone thinks it odd he doesn't eat? lol

I did a bit of mystery shopping a couple of years ago. I too used a digital recorder. I would put it inside my purse and I would just say words like "enter", "order" ect., and then would take the time off my recorder when I said the words. I also used my cell phone's digital recorder as if I was leaving a message. Another trick that I heard about that you can use at a restaurant is to have out the crossword in the paper. You can write your times, names, etc. in the crossword.

I started Mystery Shopping in May when I decided that I didn't want to "work" for the summer (I completed a difficult graduate program and needed a break).

I've continued now that I am working full time but I am much more selective.

My favorites are the cigarette and alcohol shops where I just go in and see if they card me. Depending on the store and the type of shop, the age range varies but so far, I fit (I'm 24).

I have 2 favorite companies and a few that I only do certain shops for. Working full time, I average $120 a month in mystery shopping money being picky. I could definitely make more if I was chose to.

It's NOT difficult but you just have to be aware and read all materials at least twice. Ask questions to the schedulers and visit the volition.com forums.

PM me if you have further questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter