• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you read the Kite Runner? If so, opinions are needed.

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
One of my colleagues started teaching The Kite Runner to her students in 10th grade English. About 1/3 of the way through, she got called to the office. Someone had complained about a couple of the scenes in the book and she was forced to stop teaching it.
Now we do have a policy in place if a parent complains about a book--the student is given an alternative assignment to complete in the library. We designed this because of some "banning" problems about 10 years ago. But since this teacher did not get prior approval for the book, she accepted the administration's decree after some discussion. She does not know who complained--a parent, student, or possibly another teacher--and they won't tell her, which I understand.
The thing is, the students own the book--they paid for it--and now they are all reading it to see what the fuss is about (in fact I borrowed one of her extras and read it myself so I would know what was going on). Can you believe this, another staff member told a student today that they shouldn't even have it in the halls!
Since I've read it, I see that it is a good book (not my normal style but very readable). I see what the problem areas are too! But here is my question...if the teacher had gotten the book approved ahead of time, and passed out a rationale for teaching it to take home to parents, do you think it is an appropriate book for 10th graders? Would you think older kids should read it instead? Or should it be saved for college level readers?
BTW book banning drives me nuts. Since I started this job in 88 we have fought this battle with Ordinary People (the teacher lost) and Brave New World (the teacher won).
Robin M.

I read the Kite Runner and loved it although it wasn't the normal kind of book that I read. I hate book banning as well but I can't help but think that 10th grade is a little young for this book. While the teaching of other cultures is a good eye-opening experience for that age, I think the general themes of the book were adult.

The Kite Runner was one of the best books I read last year! I loved that book. That being said (I'm a high school teacher as well), I don't know if I would have chosen that for a 10th grade class (I mean, I'm not appalled that she chose it, the kids could probably handle it, but just to be on the safe side, no I don't think I would have chosen it). I am appalled by book banning though as well, its just not something I would have given my 15/16 year old students to read-- honestly, some kids at that age are still a little immature for it, although the lesson within that book is almost worth the risk.

I used to be an English teacher, and I've also read the book. I don't know exactly what you mean about her getting the book "approved." All the novels we teach are part of the curriculum. I would be very nervous about teaching something that wasn't. I don't think there's anything in the Kite Runner that kids haven't heard about, but some 10th graders aren't ready for literature that's so complex. Honors kids would be fine with it, but I'd probably wait and teach it to juniors or seniors. I'm glad to hear the kids want to finish reading it.

I've read it and loved it. I think 10th grade is a little young for the complexity of the book though. I don't think it'll scar them for life having read it or that assigning it should kick up a fuss

I've read the Kite Runner and I have a 10th grader. If the parents (or whoever) thought that the content of this book was not appropriate, then they should see what else these kids are reading or watching on MTV but that's just MHO.

It's beautifully written and presents a view of the Muslim world that we know little about. I would not have a problem with my 10th grader reading it. I don't think that the content is much different that To Kill A Mockingbird and she read that in 8th grade. In fact the 8th grade teacher did a whole year reading banned books.

Swilphil, we have a list of novels that we teach at each level. If we find a new book to teach, it should be approved by our district curriculum director first. Normally that isn't a problem (in fact one of our prior curriculum directors couldn't be bothered to read the books, so she just approved everything) and I don't know why my colleague forgot--but she is the department head too, so maybe she thought her own OK was enough.
I also think that an older audience might appreciate the book more...but now I wish they would ban The Great Gatsby so my juniors would be in a tizzy to read it! Kite Runner is THE hot topic at school right now.
I found out another teacher may indeed be the culprit. She is our "testing coordinator" and used to teach English. She came in and asked if this woman knew about the language in the book (well duh, she's read it first) and said "I wouldn't let my Maggie (her stepdaughter) read this!"
Robin M.

We've been teaching (I saw we, it's my first year at the school!) about the same books in 9th grade history for about 15 years now. Every couple of years, there is some complaint about the book Germinal because of a scene that is about 1 paragraph long, and like you mentioned, the student is able to skip over the "bad" parts.

Here's the funny thing, parents never, ever, ever complain about the violence (And there is some crazy violence)--they complain about the adult activites (like I said, 1 paragraph long)

Now, for Kite Runner, I can figure out which scene the parent are complaining about, and to be honest, it's so short, I can't understand why they can't just skip over it? I'm pretty sure they'd get the gist of the story...

I also loved The Kite Runner. I wouldn't object to my kids being assigned it in 10th grade, but I agree that a lot of 10th graders wouldn't totally "get" the book. My son's summer reading for 10th grade English was "Things Fall Apart," a very interesting and deceptively simple African book. He definitely didn't get all he was supposed to get out of that book.

When my oldest son was in 9th grade, he had an English elective that was reading and writing. Bascially, the kids spent the entire semester reading books of their choice, discussing them in class and writing about it. The class was developed by a state teacher of the year and the kids loved it. The classroom had hundreds of books available, from great literature to current fiction. I picked up and read one of the first books my DS read, and was rather startled when I came to a seriously racy sex scene. It was really hard to imagine my immature 14-year-old reading that section . . .

I don't recall anything about Kite Runner.

I am honestly shocked about Ordinary People and Brave New World.

I read Ordinary People as an IRB in 9th grade, and Brave New World in 12th grade.

My DS is in 10th grade and they are reading this book right now. They are only reading it in honors though, then they have to do a long report on it.

I enjoyed the book. Very well-written. I think 10th grade might be a little young, but really depends on the level of the class. Are they objecting to the one scene in the alley? I found the part near the end with the child that one guy made dress up and dance and do other stuff. Made me so mad that anyone would do that :furious:.

sharbear said:
I've read the Kite Runner and I have a 10th grader. If the parents (or whoever) thought that the content of this book was not appropriate, then they should see what else these kids are reading or watching on MTV but that's just MHO.
Yes, I agree. My DS read it last year as a 9th grader in honors english. I, too, read the book and while some parts were a bit "graphic", I think they were necessary to the story; especially since it was true. We actually discussed those parts and DS was extremely sympathetic to the character. They see, read and hear much worse on television and the internet and not in an educational way. :guilty:

sharbear said:
Omigosh, I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parents are CLUELESS what their kids are watching!

And even if THEY don't have MTV or premium channels (HBO, Showtime ect), Guess what?? Their friends sure do!

And they are getting an eyeful!

:rolleyes2

tar heel said:
I also loved The Kite Runner. I wouldn't object to my kids being assigned it in 10th grade, but I agree that a lot of 10th graders wouldn't totally "get" the book. My son's summer reading for 10th grade English was "Things Fall Apart," a very interesting and deceptively simple African book. He definitely didn't get all he was supposed to get out of that book.

I am going to have to read Kite Runner. My SIL was talking about it the other day, I'll have to borrow it. Without reading it I can't say whether it was appropriate for 10th grade but to be honest unless a book is graphic or explicit without moving along the story then I am all for high schoolers reading it. Like others said movies and TV are usually much worse because most of the violence or explicit scenes are there just for the heck of it.

I read "Things Fall Apart" in a college English class. It was very good and it was deceptively simple. I really enjoy books that are an easy read but with many levels. I think those are great books for English classes because everyone gains something out of it and during discussion of the books a deeper understanding is gained by everyone on some level.

I have read the book. I think it's pretty much over the head of the average 10th grader. Some would be mature enough but not many. I am with high school kids every day. I am amazed at the difference between 9th grade and 12th grade. Many seniors could handle the book. I do understand why some people would not want their 14 and 15 year old children to read this book. I think it belongs in an advanced english course for seniors as they might even appreciate the excellent writing style of the author. I think the teacher made an error but I do understand her respect of the book. Perhaps a small group or book club led by a teacher with parental advisory and permission for books like this would be in order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter