Have you or would you go Jan.3rd-winter cruise?

Disney Fans

Disney Fans
Hello,

We are booked for next June Calf cruise of 2008 but may not be able to go so we also booked a land and sea for Dec30, 2007.
If we end up being able to go Dec30 ( sea part Jan 3-5) -- How is the cruise, weather, pools and CC swimming, etc for this time of year?
And also how do you think the resort pool would be during this time of year also? We would be staying at the Poly for the land part.

The resort pool I am not sure about BUT we sailed on the Jan 27 Western this year. When we got on the ship it was warm and sunny and the kids loved the pools - a little too chilly for DH and myself so we enjoyed drinks by the pool. Sunday in Key West the wind was so chilly that there was no way we would be going swimming. In Grand Cayman it was warm and sunny - ocean was a good temp. In Cozumel ocean was a good temp as well and we went snorkeling and got sun-kissed. In Castaway Cay the water was chilly but not numbing. We snorkeling and did the Stingray Excursion. I say go for it, the weather at the time of the year is unpredictable but there is always something to do on the ship if you can't swim.

Not sure where you are flying out from, but definitely plan to arrive a day or two in advance of your cruise. My friend almost missed her cruise due to a snow/ice storm a couple weeks ago in Philly. Dec-March can be tricky weather in many areas of the country and flights can be delayed or cancelled. In the case of Philly a couple weeks ago, the airport was just down all weekend.
So here's hoping the temps in the Caribbean are toasty---but don't underestimate travel delays or cancellations in other parts of the country that could cause problems for your trip in the long run.
As for the resort pools---Jan is "iffy" where temps are concerned. We've experienced temps in the 40's and 50's as well as the 70's or 80's. I had a friend who was in wdw the last week of Dec several years ago, and she called me to say they were wearing their winter coats.

Have fun on your cruise !

we went on jan 4th this year land/sea, it was awsome. the kids were in the pools on land and on the ship as well as castaway cay. check out the photos it will give ya an idea of what the weather was like.

If you're flying out of cold weather area remember trip insurance and make sure it covers for flight cancellation AND cancellation due to mechanical issues.

The weather in January and February is spotty. We have done 7 cruises then and many WDW trips. Most have been warm and pleasant (70s-80s on the cruise). However, there were those 2 trips when it was in the 40s at WDW and low 60s on the cruise. The pools at WDW are heated, so that's not an issue.

I'd do it if that's what fits into your schedule.

I would try to keep the June one if I were you. I went once in Jan and it was to cold to swim, we sat on the beach with our sweatshirts on! Its a hit or miss thing in Jan and if I am spending that much money I want to minimize my chances of having really cold weather. The end of April beginning of May was awesome three years in a row so we try to stick with that.

A caribbean weather report is of no value when considering a Bahamas cruise, though CC is the common denominator. We've been on many january cruises either to the bahamas or including the bahamas, including a pair of jan. 2nd embarkations with jan. 3rd and 4th stops in the bahamas. January in the bahamas is absolutely hit or miss. you can get in the 60's and windy, with the water a bit too chilly for most (though there are always some hearty northern souls going in the water because it is 60 degrees warmer than at home). Or this past january it was a daytime high of about 80. Wind also means waves, and gulfstream shifts have also sometimes made choppy january crossings, but this past january there was nothing bigger than a 2 foot wave the enitre 3 night cruise from port canaveral on the sovereign of the seas.

so have agree, if you can keep the june date, you will have better odds of good weather--though there are never guarantees--we were once completely rained out at castaway cay in april 2005, when the weather is most usually gorgeous.

We've cruised January twice, once Disney Eastern, once on RCL, on a similar route, and would do it again without hesitation, but probably would not do a Western Disney route that time of year, Ship just doesn't go far enough south in case it is cold. Our RCL cruise was during a huge freeze in Florida. It was chilly in Miami, but St. Thomas and St. Maarten were down right hot, so after a day or two at sea heading south, it got warm.

I'm curious about this thread myself..as my family is planning on going on a 7-day Eastern sailing on January 5th. Anyone care to share their experience with the Eastern itinerary? Is it warmer in the caribbean than it is in the bahamas?

We cruised in mid-January of this year. The weather and onboard pools were perfect... not at all cold, and not scorching. However, the water at Castaway Cay was way too cold for me and even my wife (which is surprising for her). It didn't stop a lot of people from going in the water however, so I guess it depends on how cold you can stand the water.

If we were to go again, I'd probably go when it was a bit warmer out, just because it's a bummer to go to Castaway Cay and not be able to enjoy the water.

As an aside, we were also at Disney World for 5 days before cruising, and it was the perfect time of year across the board for the parks. Fabulous weather and manageable crowds (relative to busier seasons; I was still surprised at just how busy the parks were).

I'm curious about this thread myself..as my family is planning on going on a 7-day Eastern sailing on January 5th. Anyone care to share their experience with the Eastern itinerary? Is it warmer in the caribbean than it is in the bahamas?

Eastern is the best for an early January cruise--st. thomas and st. maarten are always very warm, but not so hot that it will be uncomfortable--great swimming weather--even for us southerners. We did the Eastern on the Magic embarking Jan. 11, 2003.

We have cruised the last three January's, first of the year and all have been delightful. We are going again on Jan 5 on the Magic this year::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter