• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you or can appeal a denial?

Lorix2

<font color=blue>Pixie and Dylan's mom<br><font co
Hi, mom here, wondering if a rejection for college admittance can be appealed or ask for an interiew and ask for reconsideration? Is this unheard of?

My DD18 is crushed and want's to write a letter, I'm impressed, but not sure if it'll get anywhere.

Did any of you have any experience with this? thanks alot :)

I've never heard of anyone trying to appeal a denial, but it can't hurt to try. All they can say is no. My best advice, though, is for her to maybe go somewhere else her first semester or year and then try to transfer to the school she originally wanted to go to.

I know that my college wouldn't do this, however I have no idea about other ones.

The only thing I suggest is maybe to write a letter and ask for what she could improve on if she was to apply again. Maybe they will tell her why she wasn't accepted.

I use to work for college admissions...schools are very strict with their decisions. I have heard of people trying to debate the decision, but they typically wont budge.

Every year what they are willing to accept and look for may change a bit. It usually depends on what the majority of the incoming class has GPA wise, and ACT/SAT scores. So an average of their scores is what they adjust to their new expectations for the year.

The best advice I can offer you and your daughter is to attend a community college, or local school and take gen eds! If she works hard, and shows good grades... it's much easier to transfer into a school then. Even if you did not initially get accepted. I would try for it at the semester mark. It's definitely worth a shot. I wish her good luck, and hope this does not defer her from following her dreams of attending the school.

I know that my college wouldn't do this, however I have no idea about other ones.

The only thing I suggest is maybe to write a letter and ask for what she could improve on if she was to apply again. Maybe they will tell her why she wasn't accepted.

Sorry didn't see kmg148's post... but yes, the school should definitely tell her why she wasn't accepted if she's interested.

You could also ask specifically what they'd want to see in the future from her. If she is successful at a community college or a different four year institution and achieves the way they want, she might have a better chance at transferring.

Hi, mom here, wondering if a rejection for college admittance can be appealed or ask for an interiew and ask for reconsideration? Is this unheard of?

My DD18 is crushed and want's to write a letter, I'm impressed, but not sure if it'll get anywhere.

Did any of you have any experience with this? thanks alot :)

I was rejected at my first college choice, I asked why and was told I was a week candidate with a GPA lower then they like to admit and weak SAT scores. I was really crushed. I decided to work on my grades and my desirability to colleges. I enrolled in my Community College and did my best for two semesters, I also volunteered at a local pet shelter. I managed to get really good grades and I reapplied to the same college 1 year later. In my essay I expressed how my rejection a year earlier had forced me to take a long hard look at myself and I felt it had changed me for the better. I was accepted :)

What I mean to express by this story is that sometimes what we see as rejection is really oppurtunity. Because of my rejection I was able to better focus myself and excel far past what I ever expected. If she is unsuccessful in her appeal push her to look at herself and change what she can to make herself more desirable and try again!! The only failure is to stop trying!

I was rejected at my first college choice, I asked why and was told I was a week candidate with a GPA lower then they like to admit and weak SAT scores. I was really crushed. I decided to work on my grades and my desirability to colleges. I enrolled in my Community College and did my best for two semesters, I also volunteered at a local pet shelter. I managed to get really good grades and I reapplied to the same college 1 year later. In my essay I expressed how my rejection a year earlier had forced me to take a long hard look at myself and I felt it had changed me for the better. I was accepted :)

What I mean to express by this story is that sometimes what we see as rejection is really oppurtunity. Because of my rejection I was able to better focus myself and excel far past what I ever expected. If she is unsuccessful in her appeal push her to look at herself and change what she can to make herself more desirable and try again!! The only failure is to stop trying!

I haven't personally done this but I know 2 people who were waitlisted and one rejected who appealed and got in. Even though they wrote about different things, the sentiment to the above post was prevalent in those accepted that they were willing to try harder, improve themselves, be better, etc.. I think this is what put them above everyone else who just wrote about hardships they overcame, they made it clear they wanted to improve, were willing to, and believed in hardwork, a second chance, you get my drift? Also if some stuff was missing from an application, it can be applied onto the appeal.

My son did not get into his first college choice either. Instead, he was told he was accepted for the spring semester of what would be his freshman year or the fall semester of his sophmore year. He went to his second choice and no longer has any interest in that first college. As much as it hurts to get that "thin" envelope from your favorite school, it is not the end of the world. It really does not make much difference where you go for your four year degree. What matter is what you do with those four years.

I doubt that your daughter will have any luck asking for her application to be looked at again. If she has her heart set on that school, work hard in the college she does go to and then try to transfer. It is much easier getting in as a transfer student if you can show that school that you are capable of college level work.

I work for the admissions office at my school. My university does have an appeals process. When a student is denied, they have to write a personal statement, and have 3 letters of reccomendation discussing their academic ability. The student then attends an appeals hearing, and pleads their case. The timeline to get this all in as at the most 2 months, so it's very tight. People appeal all the time here; home school students are automatically denied since their curriculum may have been different and going through the appeals process helps prove what they've learned and that they're prepared for college.
I would say, call the school and ask if there is an appeals process, they may do something similar!

good luck with appealing, like the above poster said some of us have to appeal quite often.

I was homeschooled most of my life because i was "too advanced" to be in with the rest of my class... graduated highschool at 15! because of the rejection from different colleges because of my age and the fact i was homeschooled makes it to where I have to appeal anywhere I wanna go... its not very fair :p some of us are just too smart for the regular school system :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter